Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fantasy Earth Zero  (Read 3028 times)

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
Fantasy Earth Zero
« on: March 26, 2010, 08:28:56 PM »

I'm a free MMO whore and I like to try new things. http://fez.gamepotusa.com/ This one is made by Square Enix though so it might be a bit more fun then most. Not sure what to say about it as I'm downloading an update now.

Started it up: Only one server so far. Under the Nation of Gevrandia!

Torgo

• Shtemloh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Fantasy Earth Zero
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 10:47:22 PM »

Hm, looks alright.  I dunno-

A stunning soundtrack by Hitoshi Sakimoto

:glee:

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2010, 12:26:37 AM »

I've messed with it for about an hour.. It's not that fun though I'm not sure if it gets better. It's pretty slow paced and the controls seem really jagged. Aiming is really crappy too. I'm not really reccomending this at all.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2010, 01:21:55 AM »

So you're saying it's a spiritual sequel to FFXI*.

*Release era.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2010, 01:43:39 AM »

If ffxi was a action rpg then yes.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 10:33:44 AM »

Everything about this game is pretty low tier, though, I'm willing to give it a little more of a chance.

Like Envy said, nothing about the controls comes naturally, but if you want to appreciate anything about the game at all, make sure the first thing you do is turn your mouse sensitivity all the way up. It's still slow, but at least it's tolerable.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 11:27:14 AM »

I beat the first area, and the game is actually pretty fun. I haven't had a chance to mess around with PvP yet, but it seems like a fun planetside-esque constant open fight for territory.

At the beginning, if not throughout the game, missions will be basically "talk to this person at the end of this area" to get through each section of an area you need to defeat a certain number of monsters or meet other requirements, and experience is rewarded by clearing areas or doing side quests that you can find in each area.

Melee attacks are a bit of a bitch since side stepping and jumping takes forever, so you need to rely on normal movement to avoid attacks which is a almost impossible, but ranged attacks are pretty easy to use, and kind of completely OP in PvE if not PvP. You'll learn timing after your first two or three monster kills and I haven't been hit by an attack since.

Finally, since there's a giant territory war, I assume we can only play together if we're all allied to the same country. I don't know about Envy, but my main is a part of Gevrandia. It seems like you can have multiple characters in multiple countries, though.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 09:29:30 AM »

...and then the game get's completely different.

Once you leave the tutorial there are no more teleport crystals to activate, no more separate areas with side missions all neatly tied up in certain spots. As far as I can tell you just stop leveling up, since the hardest creatures you'll find give about 1/200th of a level in XP, and quests don't give you XP, and are retardedly vague (the one I'm on right now is to find "something this key fits in". It's not anywhere in the city I got the quests in, so I can only imagine it could be anywhere in the world.

Before I give up completely I'm going to throw myself into pvp and see how well that works out. I'm not expecting much.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2010, 04:51:57 PM »

After a really weird saturday.. I tried this all day.. I diddnt think it was possible to make something more boring and tedious then ffxi.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2010, 10:50:18 AM »

Downloading this now, because it's better than re-writing my resume. And if it's not, then maybe it will kick start my productivity.

Pacobird

• Just fell off the AOL cart
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 11:20:55 AM »

Hey, a game that even the pre-Aht Urghan FFXI devs deemed shovelware?  Sign me up!!

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2010, 12:11:01 PM »

Why do you people subject yourselves to this shit

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2010, 05:35:44 PM »

I downloaded it three days ago then have been LPing and abusing my admin privileges instead of even playing it once.

I think I'm winning.

Torgo

• Shtemloh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2010, 01:19:35 AM »

Why do you people subject yourselves to this shit
freeeeeeee~  And because hey, why not.

Anyway, I downloaded it, but didn't nother with it after you guys all said it sucked.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2010, 11:54:04 AM »

It's a... decent game? I'm still getting the hang of combat, but since how much experience you get isn't directly tied to how many players you kill, you really don't need to be a fighter, there are a thousand jobs that, if done well, will net you experience with the best of 'em.

Really my biggest complaint at this point is it feels like, if you make even one mistake when setting up skills, it's easier to reroll then go through all the shit you need to do to respec.

Also: Dragon's Tail is completely OP. Seriously.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2010, 12:35:37 PM »

Isnt that the really weird warrior aoe that kills through hordes of people.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »

It's an AoE that hits you three times, knocks you down, and does about half your life in damage. The AoE has a radius larger than your dodge, so if you're in the center of it there is literally no escape, but maybe when you're invulnerable during the dodge you can avoid the first hit. It also hits a larger area than the effect, so it's possible to be standing at an angle where you see absolutely nothing, but suddenly have half your health and can't move for about four seconds.

Edit: the best part is that it has at least the same area of effect as crystals do for mining. So if a single warrior with Dragon's Tail makes it to the enemy base, he can effectively stop all production for that nation until he's killed.

Edit edit: Oh, I forgot to mention that it's a ranged attack with range equal to a bow's basic attacks (everything but eagle and power shot) and all ranged magic attacks, making it the most powerful (stronger than a dagger scout backstab) second longest range and second longest stun (longest goes to another warrior attack, but 1H weapons only, so one character can't have both attacks) and largest AoE in the game. Totally not OP, guys!

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2010, 12:47:58 PM »

That sounds horribly dangerous

Edit: Wait I'm a ranger.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2010, 12:53:54 PM »

That's the warrior defense for it not needing to be nerfed right now. "Well, if you're an archer scout and we're not targeting you, then the attack totally leaves an opening to take a hit!"

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2010, 01:36:09 PM »

I'm starting to love the bow more.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8n9e8bll2A
Pages: [1] 2