Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

The absolute most infuriating thing on the road is...

The guy who won't pass anybody in the passing lane.
- 11 (12.1%)
The tailgater.
- 10 (11%)
Speeders.
- 2 (2.2%)
Old people who think the speed limit is half what's posted.
- 8 (8.8%)
Gigantic White Pickup Truck Driver
- 8 (8.8%)
The Geo Metro.
- 1 (1.1%)
9.3 years of construction THAT NEVER GETS WORKED ON.
- 14 (15.4%)
Stop signs.
- 0 (0%)
People who ignore stop signs.
- 8 (8.8%)
THE FUZZ
- 5 (5.5%)
Phone/food/makeup users.
- 13 (14.3%)
Road-ragers.
- 7 (7.7%)
Anybody who passes me.
- 4 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Driving Can Be Frustrating  (Read 31706 times)

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Driving Can Be Frustrating
« Reply #280 on: July 20, 2012, 03:33:16 PM »

Hell, last time I did it -- which I'll grant was several years ago -- they made me sign a form saying I had someone to give me a ride home.

Nickasummers

• Beep
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 02, 2012, 04:31:28 PM »

There is a traffic light off the biggest main road in my city. There is lots of eastbound traffic and a good number of left turners, and very nearly no westbound traffic. Today at 5pm they changed the left turn to a short arrow-only, even though there is virtually never anything in the way of a left turn on a green light, and even though there has not been an accident at that intersection in the entire time I've lived here. By 5:30 there were 100 cars lined up. Rush hour starts around 3:30 here, so we haven't seen what will happen when traffic is already bad and this shit is there. My dad is pretty confident it will back up all the way to the freeway and possibly several miles of the freeway because people won't even be able to get off. It is literally that bad. I have no idea why the fuck they would change the light.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #282 on: August 02, 2012, 05:10:26 PM »

When I first moved into my last place, the neighborhood and some civil engineering dumbasses with the city had decided there was too much traffic on the neighborhood streets and the appropriate solution was to block off both entrances from major streets.  It added more than half a mile every fucking time either my roommate or I drove home; we used to call it the Maze of Death.

Eventually there was a neighborhood committee meeting where pretty much everybody showed up to say this was bullshit, including a guy who said "Look, I'm a retired city planning lawyer and I've lived in this neighborhood for 30 years, and let me tell you something: it wouldn't matter if EVERY SINGLE PERSON IN THIS ROOM agreed that it was a good idea; it has to be unanimous among everybody who owns a house that's affected, because this affects property values and the city is liable."

They finally got rid of the blockades and put in some speed bumps.  Which I was okay with!  Speed bumps are okay!  (You know, provided they're not so high as to hit the bottom of my damn car.  Which these, fortunately, were not.)

I think the best part was how indignant the guy who put the whole thing together got that so many people showed up to the meeting to complain.  Like, he had a real chip on his shoulder that people only showed up to committee meetings when he started fucking with their commute.

I mean, look.  I can sympathize with the idea that people don't get to know their neighbors well enough like the Good Old Days.  But if you want a meet-'n'-greet, have a fucking barbecue.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 02, 2012, 09:05:48 PM »

Me and the other people I know in the area have gotten pretty sick of bike riders around here. These guys aren't just travelling to work or whatever, they're the ones who do it for fun, with the spandex outfits and all that. And they go riding on really windy roads with 80-100 km/h speed limits, So we'll come around the corner at 80km/h, and suddenly there's a couple of bike riders on the road, I don't see how the hell they can do it without constantly fearing for their lives. Lots of big trucks use these roads, I'm amazed more people haven't been run over.

Also, on the way down to apollo bay, it's double lines all the way, so no overtaking, on really windy roads, I've often seen or been part of a 8-car lineup driving 20km/h behind a couple of cyclists, unable to overtake. It's really goddamn annoying.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2013, 01:20:29 PM »

Adventures in Learning Manual Transmission:

Shit's hard, yo.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2013, 03:07:25 PM »

It's just a see-saw, really. Clutch goes down, gas comes up. Gas goes down, clutch goes up.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 26, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »

It's like a seesaw with a fat kid on the other end, and if he comes up a little too fast he cries and goes home.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2013, 02:23:25 AM »

I am also frustrated with analog devices.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 11, 2013, 02:59:01 AM »

I almost ran into an accident on the drive to work today! Luckily, I just barely managed to avoid it.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 30, 2013, 08:32:25 AM »

Some jerk on a skateboard nearly ran into me while I was riding my bike today and cursed at me loudly for a few stops.

He was behind me when it happened. I sensed that he was looking for a reason to fight, so I ignored him.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 30, 2013, 08:34:30 AM »

Hey, I think I saw the same guy. Was he snarling around Pape and O'Connor?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 30, 2013, 09:15:34 AM »

Actually, it was on Bloor between Bathurst and Spadina. Tall, lanky, shaved head, used the word "bro" a lot.

Silversong

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • silversong.pyoko.org
« Reply #292 on: May 05, 2013, 01:39:06 AM »

On my way across state, the freeway I was on was suddenly closed, no warning before the last exit, and they diverted all traffic (at about 5 mph) onto a different freeway. I took the first exit which dumped me into the middle of Flint, Michigan. (If you know, then you'll understand.) Thank goodness for my GPS or I would've been freaking the hell out. Turned out it was due to an overturned semi accident a couple hours earlier.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: June 05, 2013, 06:05:53 PM »

Arizona!  Where the speed limit can be 55 on a 7-lane highway, the trucks in the slow lane average about 80, and the local governments respond by randomly blinding people.

You know, I don't think I can fully blame your police for going a little crazy.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 19, 2013, 05:07:13 PM »

So a few days ago, I posted this on the "I saw you!" thread on the big Toronto Motorcycle forum. It's basically a "call out other people for their shit driving" as well as a sort of "missed connections" thread.

I wonder if the moron on the orange and black [supersport bike] who thought it would be a great idea to pass me on the left, within my own lane (the left lane on the eastbound 401, just getting into Scarborough), then wobble ridiculously in between a few cars, right before cutting off a semi posts here?

Then yesterday some kid with 2 posts and no grammarz posted something like "Hey guys help me get off of this bullshit careless driving driving ticket I got. I was on the 401 and some cop said I was weaving in and out of traffic, not signalling, and then I cut off a truck. Fuckin' cops!"

So I posted, asking him "Hey, you don't ride an orange and black sportbike, by any chance, do you?"

He never replied.

:glee:

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: September 19, 2013, 04:59:27 AM »

Ended up taking out a bird because I couldn't maneuver because some dick was maintaining a half foot distance behind me regardless of my speed or how open the other lane was.

That's all I'm going to say there, but it's had the effect that I'm incapable of putting up with even the most mild rudeness today.

Silversong

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • silversong.pyoko.org
« Reply #296 on: October 03, 2013, 11:40:17 PM »

On my drive to work this morning, got stuck behind a car doing 12 mph and swerving all over the lane. When I finally got a chance to pass, I saw someone literally hunched over a cellphone. Part of the drive that should've taken 15 seconds took 4 minutes. >_<

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 03, 2013, 11:57:53 PM »

And you're afraid of Chicago drivers?

EDIT:
i.e. That account terrifies the shit out of me.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: October 04, 2013, 01:13:56 AM »

I fucking hate cell phones. Not because I am a technophobe or whatever, but because imagine if everyone had a bucket of bloody chum that could send messages to other people.

So you'd probably know not to use that in the ocean, right? I mean, you don't want to risk getting attacked by a shark. And you're swimming with your friend who is like hey could you not chum the fucking waters and your response is "lol i'm a good enough swimmer for this not to be a problem"

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: October 04, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »

I feel like your metaphor is more complicated than the situation it describes...
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16