Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22

Author Topic: Starcraft II  (Read 31080 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Starcraft II
« on: April 05, 2010, 12:55:34 PM »

So, uh, based on this thread it seems the game was actually released? Guess I missed that - unless you guys are all playing an open beta or something?

Anyway, I was really worked up about SCII before much was known about it, but as details came out I stopped caring. Not because it seemed like a bad game, but because - to me anyway - everything I've seen just looks and sounds like nothing more than another expansion pack to Brood Wars. I guess I expected more from a Blizzard flagship title twelve years in the making. Oh well [joke about blaming Korea]. Then they announced that it would be three purchases and not one (squeeeeze those teats!) and I was all :tilt:

Maybe I'm all wrong and the game is full of new and innovative things and I just haven't gotten past the surface to see that.

Or, failing that, tell me there are funny rednecks in space that are actually amusing (instead of the ear-bleeding pop-culture referential "jokes" of WCIII).

So basically, convince me to play SCII?

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Starcraft II
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 01:01:57 PM »

Thought it was just the demo that was out.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 01:02:07 PM »

Nah, I think it's still a long ways off from release. Some people got into the beta apparently though.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 01:21:47 PM »

I'm in the beta

Essentially it vastly improves over the original Starcraft without changing the overall feel of the game, which is a good thing. If you enjoyed starcraft in any capacity (competetive, vs AI, UMS maps), you are obligated to buy this game.

I actually was into starcraft I for the vs AI and UMS maps, but this time around I am really trying to get into a competetive mindset and learn everything I can.

It has a ways to go still. A lot of minor balance concerns and general battle flow problems I have with it personally. Massing mutalisks is a nearly unbeatable tactic because of the state of AA in the game. The general technical areas/polish and shine is up to Blizzard standard, however (which is to say, fucking incredible)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 01:43:00 PM »

Ziiro good lord your avatar is terrifying

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 01:44:40 PM »

Anyway, I was really worked up about SCII before much was known about it, but as details came out I stopped caring. Not because it seemed like a bad game, but because - to me anyway - everything I've seen just looks and sounds like nothing more than another expansion pack to Brood Wars. I guess I expected more from a Blizzard flagship title twelve years in the making. Oh well [joke about blaming Korea]. Then they announced that it would be three purchases and not one (squeeeeze those teats!) and I was all :tilt:

Maybe I'm all wrong and the game is full of new and innovative things and I just haven't gotten past the surface to see that.

The general idea seems to be that blizzard is trying to keep the multiplayer experience as close to the original as possible, with new units thrown in to replace some of the old ones that were uninteresting or seldom used in top-level play.

The single player game is the real sequel with a totally different approach than the first game with persistance in research between levels that is guided by the player (for instance in single player you can actually get firebats if you choose to, stuff like that). Also a big part of the new stuff is the fact that you actually get a galactic map this time around, and some degree of freedom as you travel around it looking for missions.

Basically they are trying to actualize and flesh out the SC universe the same way that WC3 and WoW did for Warcraft.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:10:33 PM »

Mass muta seems like a weird thing. At high level it doesn't seem to be a terribly effective strategy, but people at lower levels complain about it a lot. I think the Blizzard School of Thought will still be to help take care of them a bit. It's bad to have 'bottleneck' degenerate tactics like that, where potential players need to learn to beat a strategy before moving on to the 'real' game.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 10:13:07 PM »

maxi.jpg
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 11:44:46 AM »

Starcraft II Special edition revealed, and I am going to buy it because, well,

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2010, 11:50:21 AM »

Goddamn, that's so much awesome that I want it!  And I'm so bad at RTS that YOU are worse at them by my mere existence.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2010, 12:08:09 PM »

wouldn't I actually be BETTER by comparison?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2010, 12:13:20 PM »

Compared to me, yes

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2010, 04:31:34 PM »

Starcraft II Special edition revealed, and I am going to buy it because, well,

And the standard edition is $60.

Fuck you Blizzard.  I skipped Modern Warfare 2 for hiking the price up, but I can't not buy this game.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 10:30:45 AM »

Hey.  Hey guys.

Gamestop's offering beta keys for those that preorder.  Just five bucks.

Go do it now!  Let's have a game; name's Makaris.Makaris btw!

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 12:32:14 PM »

Heh, I talked to my friend at Pet Valu who got into the open beta. He doesn't play much, since Blizzard is CONSTANTLY patching it. Like several times a day.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2010, 03:22:43 PM »

Gamestop can pry those five dollars from my cold, dead fingers!

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2010, 07:03:19 PM »

I'll have to call Gamestop and let them know to DO JUST THAT.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2010, 08:31:41 PM »

Those patches take forever, too.

I played my first game today. Got my face rocked. Kind of reconsidering my preorder here...

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2010, 09:38:42 PM »

I don't like playing games against random strangers, so I haven't been playing with matchmaking.

I will, however, play with either of you.

Esperath

• chesse nab
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2010, 09:39:12 PM »

I would also be reasonably interested in playing games where we just dick around with units.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 22