Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Report Software Piracy!  (Read 7487 times)

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
Re: Report Software Piracy!
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2010, 12:39:50 PM »

It is pretty gimpy, but it can work. Generally speaking though if you do serious graphic design work, you should be using photoshop for reasons beyond the "standard" thing. But anyways what Thad is saying is that they are beating cheaper products at their INSANE PRICE. Photoshop is that important to people.

It'd be more optimal for adobe to just give out a free, lower grade product to non professionals then for them to lose the massive money they make on commercial licenses.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2010, 12:48:22 PM »

Well, my point was that we don't know if their overall profit margins could be higher if vastly more copies were sold at a much lower price. I'm basically just talking about maximizing returns.

I actually assumed it was a given that Adobe only really competes with itself.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2010, 01:34:25 PM »

There is an entry-level version of Photoshop that runs for about $50, you know.  I'm not sure what else you're asking for.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2010, 03:58:15 PM »

Entry-level versions of PS are rightly derided as little more than glorified MSpaint.

But in any case, I was speaking of a really low price, such as the $5-$25 range.

Would this be more profitable? I don't know, I don't work for Adobe and don't have access to their sales numbers. But I think it's a possibility worth investigating, since it's about as clear as it can possibly be that there's a huge market for the "real thing".

As much as it's easy to say "I'm sure Adobe has looked at this", I find it incredibly had to believe that four figures is the optimal price point for a product where 99% of the costs are in development and marketing.

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2010, 05:15:36 PM »

It's a matter of image as well, people would just not take photoshop seriously as a product if you could get it at your suggested price range. Keeping it at the unreasonable prices they do right now makes it seem more professional, for whatever that's worth. Take a look at apple's prices for a good example.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2010, 05:23:36 PM »

I do understand that the high price is part of the marketing strategy.

I'm not going all catloaf on Adobe (I already acknowledged that the math may simply just work better for them at four-figures per item), I'm just curious about a question that probably won't be answered. PS is just an easy target because it is acknowledged as the most-pirated peice of software in the world and also acts as an extreme example with it's prohibitive price tag. In any "what-if" thought experiments regarding new-model cheap distribution, PS will always be the number one target that comes to mind.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2010, 11:16:17 AM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photoshop_Express

Oh hey looks like I was kinda right and this is already happening. The exact target and way it works with social networking sites sounds very smart, though it is obviously feeble for everything I want to do with it.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #47 on: April 13, 2010, 12:37:31 PM »

I just got out of a CS5 suite demo with three guys from Adobe.  I caught one rep out in the hall, talked about how most people I've met started out with a bootleg copy, and got an unofficial comment that students could potentially see Photoshop as low as $25 if their university engages in a particular level of agreement.  Adobe looks to be relatively new at engaging in enterprise level agreements.

--Non piracy comments about CS5 below--

During the presentation one of our suits really tore into them during the demo of the new photoshop features.  Presenter removes a man on bike from a photo, background fills in through apparent voodoo.  "I can still see the tire shadow."  He then takes a spliced panoramic photo of a battleship that has awkward edges, highlights the edges, hits a fill function and BAM it's rectangular.  "I can still see the masking lines!"

I thought it was bloody magic, but apparently true design snobs are not happy with it.  If you ask me it looks like it at least cuts a lot of work out.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 13, 2010, 12:46:12 PM »

Oooooooh, shiny.

Yeah, the new thing in image editing is functions that will fill in removed areas very smoothly. I remember seeing this in a non-Adobe product some time ago (I have it bookmarked at home). I guess it's making it's way to the big boy's toolset.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2010, 12:58:46 PM »

During the presentation one of our suits really tore into them during the demo of the new photoshop features.  Presenter removes a man on bike from a photo, background fills in through apparent voodoo.  "I can still see the tire shadow."  He then takes a spliced panoramic photo of a battleship that has awkward edges, highlights the edges, hits a fill function and BAM it's rectangular.  "I can still see the masking lines!"

Do you happen to know what sort of computer that suit uses for personal use?  Whether he bought an iPad?  Ever since the developer agreement change, I have been noticing a lot of non-sequitur "Adobe sucks at everything" vitriol cropping up from diehard Apple fans.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2010, 01:04:20 PM »

The developer was showing off the CS5 suite on a Mac laptop, unsure what model.  One of the regional sales reps had an iPhone on him which he showed during the 'When is flash coming to iPhone' debate started after one of our developers asked.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2010, 01:29:17 PM »

To be fair, everything they do besides Photoshop is terrible.

And Photoshop is only good due to a lack of serious competition.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2010, 01:54:23 PM »

I gotta disagree. Illustrator and inDesign are pretty good pieces of software. Most of my complaints with Illustrator go for any vector program and inDesign is just better than Quark. But then they have a bunch of worthless shit. Fireworks? Why the shit isn't this stuff in Photoshop?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 13, 2010, 02:23:17 PM »

Why sell one product when you could sell two?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2010, 03:30:12 PM »

W-wait... They sell photoshop?

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2010, 03:32:10 PM »

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2010, 08:58:00 AM »

Wait.  People quote Classic?

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2010, 09:33:18 AM »

Only to show how slow he is.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2010, 09:33:48 AM »

I'm sorry if that broke your use of the blocking Classic script.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 15, 2010, 04:05:00 PM »

I gave you a karma for it. Don't you dare apologize!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4