Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Applepocalypse  (Read 30316 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Applepocalypse
« Reply #440 on: February 16, 2012, 10:27:26 AM »

Why wouldn't that happen?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #441 on: February 16, 2012, 10:34:12 AM »

Because customers -- even Apple customers -- have different expectations from a computer than they do of a tablet or phone.  A platform -- even the MacOS -- thrives on having a wide variety of options and people being able to use (or develop) whatever software they want.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 16, 2012, 11:26:17 AM »

More specifically, you have to go into the computer's settings and disable Gatekeeper in order to install software from outside the Mac App Store.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #443 on: February 16, 2012, 12:19:31 PM »

Well, no.

"Signed by an Apple-approved source" is not equivalent to "from the App Store", for starters.  (People still sell Mac software in boxes, you know.)  And if that Reg article I linked is correct, then the default is that it will WARN you if you try to install unsigned software, but won't block it.  You CAN set it to only download and install programs from the Mac App Store, but that's not the default at present.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #444 on: February 17, 2012, 06:55:39 AM »

...oh.  So apparently pre-2008 Mac Pros are not supported by Mountain Lion.

See, now I have a dilemma.  On the one hand, I'm not really sure I want the thing.  On the other, Apple is telling me I can't have it, which is pretty much the best way to make me try to install it anyway.

(I assume the compatibility issue is related to 32-bit EFI.  And while I perfectly understand Apple's lack of interest in continuing to support same, I'm guessing the hacker community will step up.)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: February 17, 2012, 07:16:26 AM »

Apple is running out of cats.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #446 on: February 17, 2012, 07:21:35 AM »

THUNDERCATS, HOOOOOOOOO

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 17, 2012, 09:23:45 AM »

Thad was waiting for 48 hours or so for someone to use the word 'cats' so he could use that joke.

Bravo, Thad.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #448 on: February 17, 2012, 09:44:10 AM »

Rob Beschizza on GateKeeper.  He says a lot of what we've already said.

He also cites a Dustin Curtis post on the potential scareware nature of the warning message ("Adium has not been signed by a recognized distributor and may damage your computer.  You should move it to the Trash.").  He points out that while yes this is kind of horrifying it at least supports Apple's claim that this is about security -- for now.

Closing paragraph:

The truth is that Macs don't currently suffer much from malicious software, and DRM-esque lockouts are always circumvented. So what's the point of a DRM-esque system for malware prevention? A more pleasingly cynical answer is that it's a marketing move, aimed as much at analyst-fed Mac malware hysterics in the tech press as it is at real threats. For everyday users, Gatekeeper's more likely to echo the good old days of Vista's "Cancel or Allow" than to save them from themselves.

Doctorow spends an entire article pointing out that while DRM doesn't do a damn thing to stop piracy, it works great as an  anticompetitive tactic, and that yes indeed it has been very good to Apple over the past decade on those grounds.

On the "MS vs. Apple" front I would add that it's not just Windows 6.x that uses the "Cancel/Allow" popups; XPSP3 does too.

Also, per Ars, it costs $99 a year to get signing certs from Apple, and while that's a hassle it's a fifth of what MS charges.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 17, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #450 on: February 17, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »

Getting a timeout on the link.

1. How does it fuck Steam completely, exactly?

2. A note to those who constantly whine about how unreasonable I am for requesting descriptive links: websites sometimes go down.

3. You hate Steam.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 17, 2012, 12:36:31 PM »

1) Steam is a source for installing apps that is not the Mac App Store.  You have to disable Gatekeeper completely or it won't work.

2) Link's working fine over here, even on hard refresh.

3) Anti-competitive behavior is anti-competitive behavior.  Mountain Lion is only available through the Mac App Store, there's really no question what they're building here.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 17, 2012, 12:38:53 PM »

The link came up for me. The byline is "'Gatekeeper' to restrict Apple users to App Store games by default", which is a pretty accurate summary. Basically anytime Steam is running, you will have to keep gatekeeper shut off.

EDIT: TA got there first.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #453 on: February 17, 2012, 01:16:23 PM »

1) Steam is a source for installing apps that is not the Mac App Store.  You have to disable Gatekeeper completely or it won't work.

I've read multiple sources that say that a Windows-style warning popup is not only an option, it's the default.  That's hardly "you have to disable Gatekeeper completely or it won't work".

If that's wrong and there really are only two modes, "Don't run at all" and "Run everything" and the former is the default, then yes, I think that's a pretty fucking serious problem, but I don't see how it's a problem for Valve.  I think Valve can probably scrape together the $99 it would take to sign its binaries.  (See "Signed by an Apple-approved source" is not equivalent to "from the App Store", above.)

Mountain Lion is only available through the Mac App Store

Er, so's Regular Lion.  What's Apple's distribution method for its own OS got to do with this?

there's really no question what they're building here.

Of course there fucking-well is.  Again, Windows has been doing this "pop up a warning when you try to run unsigned code" business since 2007 (see And before you start, TA, previous page), and Win8's going to have an App Store of its own. 

There is a security best-practices rationale for code signing.  There is a software-freedom rationale against it.  This can be leveled against both MS and Apple, and both vendors are certain to grant preferential treatment to publishers who give them a cut through their respective App Stores.

That is distinct from actually disabling the execution of unsigned code, even as a default option that can be turned off.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 17, 2012, 02:40:35 PM »

if you're using something arcane enough to require a third-party unlicensed unsigned driver you SHOULD be savvy enough to enable Test Mode
Dual Shock 3 controllers aren't exactly arcane.

Sony's people are cocks and provided no drivers for the DS3 controllers. Wanting to use those on a PC doesn't make you a fucking wizard. Unsigned crapware like MotionInJoy is the only option for getting that going.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #455 on: February 19, 2012, 08:37:35 PM »

Hm, really?  Don't have any DualShock 3's but I've had no trouble using the PS3 version of the MadCatz SF4 FightPad.

(Where "no trouble" means I had to install a USB card with a VIA chipset because my onboard USB didn't work with it.  But no SOFTWARE trouble, anyway.)

I'm a little surprised, but only a little -- the Wii Remote is what I needed PPJoy for.

My point stands that you probably shouldn't be running unsigned device drivers unless you know what the fuck you're doing, but there should be a way to whitelist certain specific ones instead of having to open the door to ALL of them.  Or, to put it another way, I don't really get why Win7 should treat unsigned drivers any damn differently from how it treats unsigned executables.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #456 on: February 29, 2012, 09:35:53 AM »

Cory Doctorow says that David Weinberger says that Seth Godin says that Apple won't carry his ebook because it links to hardcover books on Amazon.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #457 on: March 16, 2012, 11:40:31 AM »

So it turns out a good bunch of the stuff in The Agony and the Ecstasy of Steve Jobs by Mike Daisey, as featured in the recent This American Life episode that helped spark the furor over working conditions in the Apple factories, is made-up.

"I stand by my work," [Daisey] wrote today. "My show is a theatrical piece whose goal is to create a human connection between our gorgeous devices and the brutal circumstances from which they emerge. It uses a combination of fact, memoir, and dramatic license to tell its story, and I believe it does so with integrity. Certainly, the comprehensive investigations undertaken by The New York Times and a number of labor rights groups to document conditions in electronics manufacturing would seem to bear this out.

"What I do is not journalism. The tools of the theater are not the same as the tools of journalism. For this reason, I regret that I allowed THIS AMERICAN LIFE to air an excerpt from my monologue. THIS AMERICAN LIFE is essentially a journalistic—not a theatrical—enterprise, and as such it operates under a different set of rules and expectations. But this is my only regret."

No fucking shit, asshole.  And "allowed" is a fucking weasel word; Ira Glass claims that Daisey straight-up repeatedly lied and claimed all this stuff had actually happened.  And lied some more when they asked him for contact info for his sources.

It's okay to make shit up for dramatic purposes when you're trying to make a point in a stage show.  But don't fucking lie to a news program about it.

Do you have any idea what you've done?  You have, potentially, done far more damage to your cause than if you hadn't fucking said anything in the first place.  Because YOU went on the radio and lied, now people are going to DISMISS all the rotten shit that actually IS going on at those factories.

YOU'RE a tool of the theater.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #458 on: March 19, 2012, 09:16:37 AM »

Stross on the new iPad; hits a few beats that will be near and dear to our hearts:

What drove the improvement in quality home was reading. The Amazon Kindle app is retina-iPad compatible, and switching from it to a different ebook reader (Stanza) using the same typeface size made it glaringly clear that something was going on with font antialiasing. Simply put, reading text on the screen using an ebook reader app on the iPad is indistinguishable from reading on paper (except for the backlight). I'd rate this as a better reading experience than any e-ink device I've tried. And as I've only got the one pair of eyeballs, and they're not getting any better, that feature alone was well worth the price of entry as far as I was concerned.

The important point to note is that the virtue of the iPad 3 display is entirely dependent on the apps supporting it. There's a flood of re-compiled retina-ready apps coming through the app store right now (it started about 48 hours ago), and for text-oriented apps the process looks (from the outside) to be quite straightforward, but I suspect a lot of iPad games (especially the less profitable ones) may not see an upgrade. Games rely on artwork, and while art that was prepared offline can be rescanned (I'm thinking hopefully about Machinarium here), some may not be available in any higher resolution and may have to be re-made from scratch.

As to what it's good for ...

The iPad was launched as a media consumption device, but it's mutating rapidly into a proper computing platform. Yes, there's a walled garden for apps: some folks find this more than a little annoying. But as someone with eighty-something relatives to support, knowing that they can't easily shoot themselves in the foot with their computer is actually a plus point. Meanwhile, the restrictions on what can be sold via the app store appear to be relaxing — as witness, for example, this Python for iOS. At the iPad's launch, the official word was "there will be no interpreters on the iPad, ever". And now they're happily selling IDEs. You can start by selling a locked-down platform and then open it up gradually, but you can't go the other way; so I expect the iPad to slowly become more useful for general-purpose computing over the next year.

Stross knows enough about games that I was legitimately surprised to find out he's not actually a gamer.  His observation on resolution was obvious to this crowd, but might not be for laymen.

I think that last quoted sentence is relevant to our discussion about whether or not Apple's binary-signing is a harbinger of OSX turning into iOS (AKA "Apple is going to start doing the exact same thing Microsoft has been doing for the past 5 years, everybody panic!").  Closing an already-open platform is like squeezing toothpaste back into the tube, even if that platform is a niche one.  (If nothing else, does anybody seriously think Adobe's just going to shrug and give up 30% of its profits on Photoshop without a fight?)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: March 29, 2012, 04:07:25 PM »

Well the good news at least is that those sweatshop allegation just got a whole lot harder to dismiss.

(Do note though: Apple is not Foxconn, and in fact it was in fact Apple that commissioned the damning report.)
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 [23] 24 25 26