Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26

Author Topic: Applepocalypse  (Read 41441 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Applepocalypse
« Reply #200 on: June 02, 2010, 10:11:32 AM »

In response to Google's subtle jabs at Google I/O, Jobs said, "Just because we're competing with somebody doesn't mean we have to be rude."

Steve Jobs.

CEO of Apple.

Creator of the Macintosh.

Pretty much spent the last three years bombarding us with advertisements where the competition is characterized by a dumpy loser with every problem imaginable.

The worst part is I imagine that his biggest fans are the ones who wish to aspire to his level of constant, repurcussionless hypocrisy.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #201 on: June 02, 2010, 10:22:56 AM »

I assume this is what is meant by "Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field".

One thing I can agree, though. Apple does not compete with other companies, in the same way a car does not compete with dogs, deer or the occasional pedestrian that occasionally cross in front of it.

Apple was never a "rebel" or a "competitor". Jobs thinks, quite simply, that The Apple Way is The Way Things Should Be, and everything and everyone else is just a temporary obstacle.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #202 on: June 02, 2010, 11:13:29 AM »

Man, I reaaaally hate Jobs. Which is problematic since I try and keep moderate opinions about this Apple business (they make great products you may or may not care about and a very solid OS and blahblahblah)... He's just such a dick... and it annoys me that they can still play the whole 'hip kid' angle... They got the whole 'evil' thing down pretty well. Every time I read about an iphone developer being fucked I cry a little inside. Anyways, I wonder how the whole 'next AOL' thing will play out. I can see that, but apple is a much smarter company. I imagine eventually Apple will have to start making concessions and giving up control

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 02, 2010, 11:48:55 AM »

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Catloaf

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 02, 2010, 12:19:17 PM »

I recently heard that Google was going to phase out using Windows in house because of security problems.  My first thought was "Oh, so their going onto their own OS."  Then the article mentioned they weren't phasing out the use of macs or linux.  Fuck, I would think google of all companies would realize that Macs aren't actually safer, they just have less viruses because historically they haven't been used as much, especially in the areas that virus makers would target and they haven't switched over yet because windows still has more of the OS market share even if Apple is now officially worth more.  And that goes double for linux, which is the least safe because of it being open source.

I'm starting to think that a good portion of the internet is becoming a propaganda mouthpiece for Apple product advertising.  I keep telling myself that Apple isn't paying them, and I'm pretty sure they're not.... But there is just too much shit about them for it to be a possibility that a disproportionate amount of editors have Job's dick stuck down their throats and I have no idea why.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #205 on: June 02, 2010, 12:27:59 PM »

That seems like a bit of a misunderstanding. Macs are more secure. The thing thats wrong is people thinking of their Macs are impenetrable walled fortresses.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #206 on: June 02, 2010, 12:38:29 PM »

"unlimited" is just cellphone company-speak for "we will harass the top 5% of all users because consumer service is a 20th century concept"

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 02, 2010, 12:55:03 PM »

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #208 on: June 02, 2010, 01:04:06 PM »

So I've been wondering for awhile -- how long until Apple gets fed up with AT&T?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 02, 2010, 01:41:10 PM »

I assume this is what is meant by "Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field".

One thing I can agree, though. Apple does not compete with other companies, in the same way a car does not compete with dogs, deer or the occasional pedestrian that occasionally cross in front of it.

Apple was never a "rebel" or a "competitor". Jobs thinks, quite simply, that The Apple Way is The Way Things Should Be, and everything and everyone else is just a temporary obstacle.

My god. He's like if Prince had influence.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: June 02, 2010, 02:37:42 PM »

No more unlimited data for iPhones or iPads.

And now I will never own an iphone or ipad

It was never unlimited.  It's always been UNLIMITED*

*we are reaming your ass if you go over a secret limit.

basically what zara said.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 02, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »

No more unlimited data for iPhones or iPads.

And now I will never own an iphone or ipad

It was never unlimited.  It's always been UNLIMITED*

*we are reaming your ass if you go over a secret limit.

basically what zara said.

Having worked for a cell company, I can assure you that Niku & Zara are 100% correct.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 02, 2010, 03:07:23 PM »

True enough, but 'not unlimited' means 'even less data for you to use.' I expect they'll be shifting to something stupid like a 30 mb limit.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 02, 2010, 04:43:50 PM »

Honestly, as an iPhone owner, I don't really give a shit.  Looking back over the past year or so of use, my heaviest months I didn't even break a gig.  I'm not going to step down to the lesser tier in case Netflix gets their shit together on streaming me videos, but it's still nothing I personally want to cry over.

If I had an iPad I'd be pretty goddamn pissed off right now for the reasons stated in the Gizmodo article.

(Also why is Ziiro's EVERYTHING OKAY link text linking to a pissed off rant and TA's being TA link text leading to a reasonable "it's not that bad" argument are you guys doing this on purpose)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 02, 2010, 04:59:38 PM »

I need to check what my actual data use is.  The current counter on the phone says 7.5 gigs, but it's unclear if that's since I got the phone or for the monthly billing cycle, which is all of one and a half day.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 02, 2010, 05:28:23 PM »

Most tickers built into phones' firmware has no way of recognising your monthly renewal date, plan, or anything else. That's all done server-side normally.

Which is a roundabout way of saying that you're probably looking at a lifetime (of the phone) figure. The only way it can display monthly data is if you're connecting to your cell provider each time you want to check your data useage and getting the number from them, rather than the phone.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 02, 2010, 08:40:34 PM »

Yeah, as been said twice now, this probably doesn't affect iPhone users... but makes the whole "iPad is going to kill the PC!" meme even more hilarious than it already was.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 02, 2010, 08:53:14 PM »

Yeah, as been said twice now, this probably doesn't affect iPhone users... but makes the whole "iPad is going to kill the PC!" meme even more hilarious than it already was.

Well, this only applies to the 3G service, right?  I would think most netbook-style heavy online usage would come from WiFi.  Anecdotal evidence suggests people mostly use the ipad at home anyway.  As for the iphone, I don't know what you would download to eat up that much bandwidth.  Do iphones have the option to connect to WiFi as well?
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 02, 2010, 09:02:50 PM »

Yeah, and the only reason I use up as much 3G bandwidth as I do is because I have no access to wifi at work.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 26