Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26

Author Topic: Applepocalypse  (Read 35184 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Applepocalypse
« Reply #400 on: October 06, 2011, 01:56:00 PM »

I heard Windows systems outsell Macs.

It took me a minute to figure out how this was relevant to the conversation.  But yes, you're right, comparing a device to an OS is a mistake and I shouldn't have done it.

That said, fragmentation is one of the "well-known strengths and weaknesses" of Android I was alluding to.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #401 on: October 28, 2011, 09:15:41 AM »

Apple open-sources ALAC.

Which is irritating, because I just finished ripping my CD collection to FLAC and was planning to stick Rockbox on my iPod so I'd be able to play my lossless music collection on both it and my Linux box.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: November 30, 2011, 07:07:40 AM »

Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: November 30, 2011, 12:35:02 PM »

Oh wow.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: November 30, 2011, 01:58:06 PM »

Some people are getting results, though!

Of course, those aren't actually abortion providers.  Those are crisis pregnancy centers, where all you'll get is a lecture on how abortion is a sin.  And if you look up those names and street names, you can find out that Human Life Pregnancy there is in York, PA, and that 1st Choice Women's Health Center is in Leesburg, VA, which means that search was performed from Washington, DC.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #405 on: December 01, 2011, 10:10:40 AM »

WP: Apple has busted out the "it's a beta, you can expect a few bugs that need ironing out" defense.  You know how those betas are...unfinished UI's, instability, wholesale blacklisting of politically controversial healthcare information...

In comments to the New York Times, Norman Winarsky — who runs SRI Ventures, which developed Siri before the program was sold to Apple — said that the program was designed to pull information from third-party services. He said that while he didn’t know how Siri had changed since it was acquired by Apple in 2010, he speculated that those services may not provide answers to those questions.

In other words, expect Apple to quietly fix the problem, and if anyone asks any more questions about it they'll vaguely blame a third-party supplier without naming any names or actually punishing anybody.

(In fairness, it probably IS a low-level employee, a third-party provider, or both; while Lord knows Apple higher-ups have made some terrible and often unscrupulous decisions, this is just bad business.  Even ignoring Apple's -- sometimes deserved, sometimes not -- generally liberal reputation, there's nothing to gain from blocking access to abortion services; even vehemently anti-choice right-wingers are not apt to blame search engines for helping people find the things they're looking for.)

(That's more the purview of copyright cops, but that's a different thread.)

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 01, 2011, 10:16:17 AM »

Vehemently anti-choice right-wingers might or might not blame search engines if they do give the info, but they're definitely applauding Apple for denying the info.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #407 on: December 01, 2011, 10:37:22 AM »

Well, of course they are.

Doesn't mean they would have been boycotting Apple otherwise.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 01, 2011, 10:39:50 AM »

Being friends with anti-abortionists is exactly the wrong thing to do if your customer base is the iGeneration.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 01, 2011, 11:41:04 AM »

Uuhhh, except for that creepy trend where anti-choice the youth is becoming more conservative and stupid.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #410 on: December 01, 2011, 11:50:11 AM »

Being friends with anti-abortionists is exactly the wrong thing to do if your customer base is the iGeneration.

Right, precisely.  This isn't Apple Corporate making this decision, it's someone much farther down the ladder.

Seems like every rollout of a new Apple service has included some variety of completely boneheaded censorship.  I remember the first time I ever looked at the iTunes Store, the title of Bitches Brew was asterisked out, and of course the various stupidities of the App Store have been chronicled here and elsewhere.

I suspect it's something to do with Apple's culture of secrecy.  Not only are its publication standards and policy unclear to its customers and third-party developers, they're unclear to its own employees.

I'm not quite Hanlon's Razoring this, because there's room for both malice AND incompetence in this one.  But I think it's downstream malice resulting from upstream incompetence.

Uuhhh, except for that creepy trend where anti-choice the youth is becoming more conservative and stupid.

Maybe you missed my two posts pointing out that alienating half your customer base to try to appeal to the other half that you already appeal to does not make good business sense.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 01, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »

My point was more along the lines that one side is gradually shrinking.

THAT SAID, I'm going to go with that don't attribute to maliciousness what you can to incompetence quote. And for good measure I'll throw in good ol' apathy, as well. Even some of those examples they link actually oppose stuff like non-abortive birth control, which only the extremely far right really hate anyway. It's much easier to say "Person in charge of checking this didn't think and didn't care" than "Apple has a dedicated reason to block birth control and abortions."

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 01, 2011, 12:05:06 PM »

Pretty sure we're all on the same thing as far as whodunnit; the niggling point of unclarity is whether or not Apple benefits from it.

That company is in the strange position of marketing to predominantly liberal market segments while being, itself, so fucking conservative that it would make an oil baron blush.  The common cry of "You all have iPads!" to the OWS crowd is supposed to portray them as spoiled brats but accomplishes something weirdly different; it exposes another point where they seem to not be able to pinpoint where their priorities should lie.  And I can't disagree with THAT sentiment.

Royal☭

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 01, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »

It's rather similar to when Whole Foods came out as Anti-Worker and Anti-Health Reform a few years back. Totally struck the wrong chord with the wrong crowd. Not like it matters, the people who shop or buy from those companies will stop at nothing to keep buying from them.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #414 on: December 01, 2011, 12:27:43 PM »

That company is in the strange position of marketing to predominantly liberal market segments while being, itself, so fucking conservative that it would make an oil baron blush.

Well, it's a bit more complex than that.  Apple donates to liberal causes and offers liberal benefits to its employees, like healthcare for unmarried partners (gay or straight).

It also has its shit built in rather unpleasant conditions in China, and indulges is anticompetitive behavior ranging from DRM and closed marketplaces up to gigantic patent and copyright suits.

Essentially they have liberal sympathies but really, really like money.

Not like it matters, the people who shop or buy from those companies will stop at nothing to keep buying from them.

Some, sure.  I don't know about most, and certainly not all.

Even a beloved industry leader with a devoted customer base can fuck up and lose them in droves.  But it takes a special combination of ballsy and stupid to do what Netflix did.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 01, 2011, 12:54:04 PM »

It's rather similar to when Whole Foods came out as Anti-Worker and Anti-Health Reform a few years back. Totally struck the wrong chord with the wrong crowd. Not like it matters, the people who shop or buy from those companies will stop at nothing to keep buying from them.

That's kind of exactly the thing.  There is a large crossover between the portion of the Apple customer base that might take offense to this, and the portion of the Apple customer base that will never be alienated from Apple no matter what they do, and are even now trying to justify this.

There's a lot of "Apple is a progressive company, and thus wouldn't do this on purpose" circular reasoning going on.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 02, 2011, 12:12:46 AM »

TA, do you think this was deliberate?

It's not a matter of "progressive", it's a matter of "not suicidal". The conspiracy theory that Apple is secretly and maliciously sabotaging their databases to provide skewed information to advance their secret conservative agenda is uncharitable and implausible. Business directories are hard, and it probably doesn't help that the anti-abortion groups have a lot of money to throw at SEO.

Today, I was searching for a band on allmusic. I omitted the word "The" from their name, and despite being the only band with that particular word actually in their name, they were the sixth result. How crazy would it have been to suppose deliberate malice on the part of allmusic's search engineers?
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #417 on: December 02, 2011, 07:12:56 AM »

it probably doesn't help that the anti-abortion groups have a lot of money to throw at SEO.

This is true too.  The anti-abortion crowd likely has people who work full-time to ensure that crisis pregnancy centers are listed in every indexing service known to man.

Planned Parenthood has plenty of resources at its disposal too, but I'm not sure advertising and outreach are as high a priority as lobbying -- it has to make sure it keeps its funding and, of course, that its services continue to be legal.

And that's the best-heeled women's health provider.  Never mind the smaller ones; they certainly have more to worry about than whether they're listed in Yelp.

...but anyway, there's rather a simple test for whether this is all an elaborate conspiracy on Apple's part to court nutty right-wing groups who haven't actually been refusing to buy its products: if that is the case, then Apple will never, ever fix the problem.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 02, 2011, 07:17:42 AM »

In Soviet Russia, Apple caves to public opinion.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 02, 2011, 07:50:25 AM »

This is true too.  The anti-abortion crowd likely has people who work full-time to ensure that crisis pregnancy centers are listed in every indexing service known to man.

Please, they prefer to be called "anti-choice."
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 [21] 22 23 24 25 26