Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13

Author Topic: The Humble Indie Bundle  (Read 20047 times)

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Humble Indie Bundle
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2010, 07:44:47 PM »

What are Penumbra and Lugaru? Are those any good?

what the fuck Ars Technica? These are three to five year old games that weren't exactly top salers back when they were new. That near-million is pretty much 90% profit.

There's an option to give all of the money to the charities involved, if that helps.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2010, 07:50:41 PM »

Is there a way to buy this without World of Goo

You have to download each game individually so...don't download World of Goo?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2010, 08:03:04 PM »

They don't ask you what OS you're using at purchase, so it's either tracked by HTTP Header or counted when you go to download the thing.

You tell them how to count you on the download page.  I checked all three boxes.  Which means I brought the average of all three up, but brought the relative Windows average up since there are fewer people in the Mac and Windows pools.

Backloggery

...there's a site for that?

Is there a way to buy this without World of Goo

You can choose how your money is divided.

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2010, 08:14:55 PM »

I haven't played most of these but Lugaru is a pretty good stealth/fighting game. Sort of Tenchu meets Watership Down. It has a pretty steep learning curve and the tutorial is rubbish though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWTxaAj5w-4

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2010, 08:21:47 PM »

Penumbra is a survival horror game that was praised for focusing on survival horror, and not action (it came out right around the time everyone was bitching about how not-scary RE5 was, if memory serves).

Miss Cat Ears

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2010, 08:23:17 PM »

I love World of Goo

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »

I haven't played most of these but Lugaru is a pretty good stealth/fighting game. Sort of Tenchu meets Watership Down. It has a pretty steep learning curve and the tutorial is rubbish though.
I don't know if I would respect that game more if it weren't staring a rabbit or didn't look like shit.

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »

...I suddenly remembered that I have 45 dollars in my PayPal account that I had trouble transferring to my bank account. HMM.

But I have too many games to play anyway, so I'd just be making a statement. Not sure if I want to make a statement that badly.

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2010, 09:41:15 PM »

They don't ask you what OS you're using at purchase, so it's either tracked by HTTP Header or counted when you go to download the thing.  Which might be throwing shit way off but it's not like the data's not helping them out.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to add five games I have no intention of playing to my Backloggery.
I bought it.  You pick which OS at the download page, after you're done paying and open a link via email.  The selection is made via checkbox (implying that yes, you can pick all 3, as it's not a radio button UI element).

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2010, 09:56:12 PM »

Makes me wonder how the stats are actually tracked, since I would assume anyone downloading for free wouldn't bother to submit their information at all.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2010, 10:14:48 PM »

Yeah, I think there are a lot of assumptions being made to arrive at the number of downloads that don't match contributions.  I checked all three OS boxes, but if I had opted out of the survey, would they have assumed that only one OS's worth of downloads were legit?  Are they tracking IP's?  That doesn't seem like a very EFF-y thing to do.  And there's a comment about the Linux users being grateful that the files can be grabbed with a simple wget -- that would suggest they're not opening up the download page and therefore not opting into the survey.

That said, at least it's a professional statistician going over it, so whatever guesses they've got are made by somebody who makes them for a living.

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2010, 01:48:37 AM »

I don't know if I would respect that game more if it weren't staring a rabbit or didn't look like shit.

Aren't you a furry anyway?

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2010, 05:42:57 AM »

Yeah, I think there are a lot of assumptions being made to arrive at the number of downloads that don't match contributions.  I checked all three OS boxes, but if I had opted out of the survey, would they have assumed that only one OS's worth of downloads were legit?  Are they tracking IP's?  That doesn't seem like a very EFF-y thing to do.  And there's a comment about the Linux users being grateful that the files can be grabbed with a simple wget -- that would suggest they're not opening up the download page and therefore not opting into the survey.

That said, at least it's a professional statistician going over it, so whatever guesses they've got are made by somebody who makes them for a living.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMQdtyot38s&feature=related

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2010, 09:12:02 AM »

Aren't you a furry anyway?
Okay, if it didn't look like shit.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2010, 09:19:32 AM »

Oddly, I am okay with people paying $0.01 for the bundle, but I think plain pirating the thing - from Wolfire's servers even - is just a jerk move.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2010, 09:49:49 AM »

It's even more retarded when you consider that the people who steal the games now could have pirated them for years while they were still expensive, but instead choose to pirate them now that they are potentially dirt cheap.

I already own two of the games and don't care much for the others, but I gave 5$ to charity just to contribute to the final number in some small fashion. It was a bizarre leap of intellect to make; at face value this is a tremendous deal bordering on highway robbery, but technically the bundle is worthless to me and I'm getting 99% ripped off even at that price (though maybe I'll like the other games so this might prove to be an exaggeration). I suppose I hope this will happen again someday with games I actually want, and I want to support the idea of it.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #36 on: May 11, 2010, 10:23:36 AM »

Am I seeing things or are we at an hour and a half to go and they're at $977,159?

I kind of want that source code.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 11, 2010, 10:27:51 AM »

Penumbra was pretty good!  Good writing (though there isn't much dialogue to begin with), though the sequel is actually way better.  Third game is kinda bad in comparison.

Kayin

• Akzidenz Grotesk
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • I Wanna Be The Guy
« Reply #38 on: May 11, 2010, 10:39:27 AM »

I was playing a bit of Gish the other day. Okay still. I don't know how driven I'll be to play a lot of this stuff, but we'll see. The piracy thing is expected. A lot of it really is payment related. The fact it's so easy to steal off the server is another. Still, I think it's more payment related than Jerkface related and this is the big problem with stuff you can get for a 'micro payment'.

Still, like they said, maaaan, use BT at least! :(

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2010, 10:54:05 AM »

You know what? Screw it. I may be one foot in the poor house, but I'd be crazy NOT to get this for $5.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13