Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 41

Author Topic: Don't you know there's a war on?  (Read 68584 times)

sei

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Don't you know there's a war on?
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2008, 08:40:06 PM »

Of course, of course.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 18, 2008, 03:41:07 PM »

Gas here is a billion dollars a gallon.

Let's crack open Alaska.

Realistically speaking it's still too expensive to drill oil in Alaska. The cold makes the oil too thick, so they need special drilling tools that heat the oil with steam before extraction. The result is that it costs more than twice as much to extract the oil which means we're spending more money than if we just bought it from the saudis, in all likeliness.

Now, the california and florida coasts, on the other hand...

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2008, 08:43:04 PM »

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008, 09:31:43 PM »

Gas here is a billion dollars a gallon.

Let's crack open Alaska.

Realistically speaking it's still too expensive to drill oil in Alaska. The cold makes the oil too thick, so they need special drilling tools that heat the oil with steam before extraction. The result is that it costs more than twice as much to extract the oil which means we're spending more money than if we just bought it from the saudis, in all likeliness.

Now, the california and florida coasts, on the other hand...

an addendum to this; I read an article the other day. Apparently the american oil industry has apparently not yet tapped 90% of the waters they ALREADY have access to, because 'off shore drilling takes a lot of work'. Bawwwwwww.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008, 10:08:02 PM »

Hey, I call bullshit!  You guys were supposed to stop this crap after that naked guy refused to eat any soup!

You'd think the natives of SWAT Valley would be more able to defend themselves.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2008, 08:48:31 AM »

an addendum to this; I read an article the other day. Apparently the american oil industry has apparently not yet tapped 90% of the waters they ALREADY have access to, because 'off shore drilling takes a lot of work'. Bawwwwwww.

And a lot of money. And it's pretty much a crapshoot.

If they could with reasonable certainty get oil, they'd drill.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2008, 01:35:36 PM »

That's the bullshit point though, they can find out if oil is there, but they're not. They refuse to even do the explorations to see if the oil is there in the first place.

If they had genuinely done the work and said after the fact, 'welp, sorry guys, no oil there', I'd understand. but at this point the oil industry is just bawwwing because they might take a hit to their profit margin. I don't have a lot of pity for the people responsible for me having to spend ten bucks in gas just to go see my inlaws on the other side of town.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 28, 2008, 03:32:50 PM »

Do you honestly think that if oil is expensive to drill that gas will be cheap to purchase?

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 28, 2008, 03:59:52 PM »

No, not at all.

I don't think we should be signing off more free land to the oil industry when they haven't used the land they already have.

The gas prices note was simply that I don't have pity for the people gouging for gas right now and their bullshit complaints about profit margins.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2008, 10:03:46 PM »

That's the bullshit point though, they can find out if oil is there, but they're not.

Well, they kind of already found out. That's pretty much why they leased those waters in the first place, actually.

My father was a geo-physicist during the 80's / early 90's, whose job it was to project where oil could be found. He himself told me, as much as they knew, there were still a lot of gaps. Now, obviously, things have changed, his job is now done much more efficiently by computers, blah blah blah whatever.

However, since it takes something like 3-5 years to actually just set up an off-shore oil well (not to mention that construction typically occurs 3-4 years after acquisition of the lease), how old do you think some of those leases are? Also, do you think oil companies only bid on the high-probability oil fields? Do you think they just let the low probability oil fields pass them by?

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2008, 03:38:06 PM »

So...? We should just give them all the land they want and then not make them use it because it might be inconvenient for them?

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2008, 04:06:46 PM »

I miss the good old days of terrorism, when educated young men blew themselves up in the name of an ideology they believed in.

When asked about the main reasons that have driven those women to become suicide bombers, Bajlan explained that 3 percent of those attacks were conducted by women who have lost close male relatives- a son or a husband- during security operations launched by Iraqi forces or Multi-National Force (MNF) personnel.
"But the majority of them, almost 97 percent, were forced to commit suicide bombings. Most of them were drugged and taken to the scene to carry out the operations," Bajlan noted.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2008, 04:12:09 PM »

If there's any upside to this, it's that you can tell your children that drugs will make them explode.  And you won't be kidding.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 08, 2008, 04:35:52 PM »

This is what happens when you actually carry out so many suicide attacks that you entirely deplete the 'retarded brooding intellectual student' population.

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2008, 10:16:23 AM »

So I guess a "poor human resources" crack goes here.

And the fists collide with my face here.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2008, 10:23:53 AM »

They've an excellent dental plan.  And Lisa does need braces...

Cannon

• Hopes for a great many things
  • Tested
    • View Profile
I should probably stop now.
« Reply #57 on: July 09, 2008, 10:28:21 AM »

They've an excellent dental plan.  And Lisa does need braces...

:ohshi~:

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 13, 2008, 10:44:59 PM »

That's the bullshit point though, they can find out if oil is there, but they're not.

Well, they kind of already found out. That's pretty much why they leased those waters in the first place, actually.

My father was a geo-physicist during the 80's / early 90's, whose job it was to project where oil could be found. He himself told me, as much as they knew, there were still a lot of gaps. Now, obviously, things have changed, his job is now done much more efficiently by computers, blah blah blah whatever.

However, since it takes something like 3-5 years to actually just set up an off-shore oil well (not to mention that construction typically occurs 3-4 years after acquisition of the lease), how old do you think some of those leases are? Also, do you think oil companies only bid on the high-probability oil fields? Do you think they just let the low probability oil fields pass them by?
About Three-forths of the leased land is not currently producing. (and probably hasn't even had any exploratory shit done)

Plus the oil companies pay bullshit low fees on the leases. (2 to 3 dollars an acre)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2008, 12:10:39 AM »

...but is it art?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 41