Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 41

Author Topic: Don't you know there's a war on?  (Read 68412 times)

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Don't you know there's a war on?
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2009, 03:08:56 PM »

Israel apparently blows away a U.N. relief convoy headed for Gaza.

I can understand concerns about car bombs and whatnot, but aren't those kinds of convoys painted up with everything short of a sign reading "WE'RE THE GOOD GUYS, PLEASE DON'T SHOOT"?

I wonder why so many people have negative opinions of Israel? :shrug:

I recall that a US F-15 once bombed a BBC truck, injuring one journalist and killing at least one more. It may have been a friendly fire incident (it's hard to distinguish a BBC vehicle from an insurgent vehicle at that height and I don't know if the BBC carries IFF), but it certainly doesn't look good when they do this so straightforwardly and with minor repercussions.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2009, 04:35:05 PM »

As a 1st-world nation player, no one kills more blue berets than Israel.  There's always one or two every conflict, and UNIFIL even got the occasional bomb during the lull of fighting in 05. 

That's all I have to say.

Also, one other thing to add - Ukrainian Peacekeepers stole a lot of crap from the UN while on duty including vehicles.  They were part of UNIFIL.  As a consequence, there were plenty of news reports showing aerial footage of white vans in the Gaza Strip and elsewhere with rocket crews hopping out.  That was also while I was there in 05.  I hear similar stories now, except the ukranians are no longer welcome to participate. 

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2009, 04:41:24 PM »

It will end just as Israel wished for it to end.

Quote from: Washington Post
U.N. Suspends Aid Deliveries to Gaza Strip

according to United Nations Relief and Works Agency spokesman Chris Gunness. He said three U.N. workers have been killed by Israeli fire so far and that aid will not resume until "the Israeli army can guarantee the safety and security of U.N. personnel."

Israel doesn't want aid to come in for the victims. They want a killing field.

They don't know what they want as a collective nation.  I've never seen a democratic nation so divided into extremist and liberal camps in my life - America included.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2009, 04:50:58 PM »

Speaking of ambulances and rockets, there's this interesting report:

http://www.zombietime.com/reuters_photo_fraud/

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 09, 2009, 01:18:56 PM »

Israel says "Fuck you" to UN resolution demanding a ceasefire.

So ... this is where we invade Israel for flouting UN resolutions, right?
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 09, 2009, 01:22:12 PM »

We?

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 09, 2009, 01:42:07 PM »

Israel invades during the end of a presidency that will let Israel do whatever the fuck Israel wants to do and has enough time to wrap up before we get a presidency that hopes it doesn't have to ask Israel to calm down.  :perfect:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 09, 2009, 01:48:32 PM »

So, what, we're doing a wave of lame-duck massacres?

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 09, 2009, 02:28:53 PM »

Taking sides on conflicts like this is a difficult thing to do.  One side makes no attempt to differentiate between military and civillian targets, while the other one can't, either through internal incompetence (Through attacks on static UN installations) or actions of the enemy (useage of stolen UN/NGO equipment as platforms for rocket attacks).  As far as Israel goes, their "sledgehammer to a mosquito" tactics cannot avoid civilian casualties when the enemy lives and fights among them - not that they have much alternative. 

So far, the lopsided media coverage has been god awful, just as much as the 2006 war against Lebanon.  While the IDF is not helping by barring anyone from entering the Gaza Strip, certain outlets seem to be just guzzling back the word of Hamas - morale-rousing hyperbole and all.  That's not to say that the "self-defense" statement is wearing thin either..

The timing itself has little to do with the presidential election.  It was based around the ceasefire.  The timing of the end of the ceasefire is something else, but it was planned long before the election. 

Anyways, I have nothing new to say since 06, but the BBC has an interesting article on the language of Hamas Propaganda.

Well worth a read.

Also, if the majority of Americans wants to punish Israel, they can just draw down the military aid.  You'd be surprised how much of your taxpayers money gets wasted over there.

Transportation

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 09, 2009, 02:45:12 PM »

Israel says "Fuck you" to UN resolution demanding a ceasefire.

So ... this is where we invade Israel for flouting UN resolutions, right?
I'm going to assume you left these parts out on accident. :mystery:
Israel and Hamas were not parties to the council vote and it is now up to them to stop the fighting. But a Hamas spokesman said the Islamic militant group "is not interested" in the cease-fire because it was not consulted and the resolution did not meet its minimum demands.
Hamas has said it won't accept any agreement that does not include the full opening Gaza's blockaded border crossings. Israel is unlikely to agree to that demand, as it would allow Hamas to strengthen its hold on the territory which it violently seized in June 2007.

Anywho, I'm personally waiting for the resolution condemning Israel and the U.S. vetoing it. That hasn't happened in a while.

Transportation

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 09, 2009, 03:19:16 PM »

Also, if the majority of Americans wants to punish Israel, they can just draw down the military aid.  You'd be surprised how much of your taxpayers money gets wasted over there.
This is true!

Ynet - Israel still top recipient of foreign aid
Israel, long since the US' top recipient of foreign aid, will receive USD 2.4 billion. Since 1979 and the Israeli-Egyptian peace treaty, Israel has annually received up to USD 3 billion in aid.

As part of with an initiative by then-Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, the civilian aid has been steadily decreased over the course of the past 10 years, going from USD 1.2 million to being completely cancelled this year. At the same time military aid to Israel has increased from USD 1.8 billion to USD 2.4 billion.

Although the U.S. gets most of the money back:
FAS - CRS Report for Congress
Recent U.S. Military Sales to Israel. Israel uses almost 75% of its FMF funds to purchase U.S. defense equipment.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2009, 07:30:10 PM »

We?

The coalition of the willing?  :8D:

Taking sides on conflicts like this is a difficult thing to do.  One side makes no attempt to differentiate between military and civillian targets, while the other one can't, either through internal incompetence (Through attacks on static UN installations) or actions of the enemy (useage of stolen UN/NGO equipment as platforms for rocket attacks).  As far as Israel goes, their "sledgehammer to a mosquito" tactics cannot avoid civilian casualties when the enemy lives and fights among them - not that they have much alternative. 

So far, the lopsided media coverage has been god awful, just as much as the 2006 war against Lebanon.  While the IDF is not helping by barring anyone from entering the Gaza Strip, certain outlets seem to be just guzzling back the word of Hamas - morale-rousing hyperbole and all.  That's not to say that the "self-defense" statement is wearing thin either..

The timing itself has little to do with the presidential election.  It was based around the ceasefire.  The timing of the end of the ceasefire is something else, but it was planned long before the election. 

Anyways, I have nothing new to say since 06, but the BBC has an interesting article on the language of Hamas Propaganda.

Well worth a read.

I think that the withdrawl of aid may be the 'fairest' thing to do. Or, more accurately, it's almost like a real-world version of the oft-made comment to just build a giant dome over the middle east and come back in 100 years.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2009, 08:28:58 PM »

Also relevant: A quick reminder of just what the greatest trolls in the world are up to.

That giant concrete dome looks better and better every day.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 03, 2009, 04:04:15 PM »

Persians send sattelite into orbit.

It's funny to note that the last time I bumped this thread, it was also about IRAN TROLLS WERLD.... AGAIN.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 03, 2009, 07:14:24 PM »

Meanwhile, North Korea was in the news again, and nobody even blinked.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 03, 2009, 07:21:50 PM »

LOL good - because if I recall, they pretty much just randomly started shouting "LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 03, 2009, 07:25:49 PM »

...how is that different from what you're going on about?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 03, 2009, 07:38:03 PM »

Come to think of it, "LOOK AT MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" basically summarises all my posts on this board.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #138 on: February 03, 2009, 09:05:56 PM »

Guild's, too.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested