Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15

Author Topic: Thundercats  (Read 20215 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Thundercats
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2010, 06:08:07 PM »

Who wrote Locket of Lies?

Hang on, I've got a spreadsheet here...
...Bill Ratter.

I'll get these up on my site at some point.  I kinda like the idea of futzing with MySQL a bit and letting people sort by either broadcast order or the apocryphal but much more sensible fan order I've seen on a few sites.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2010, 04:33:49 PM »

Done, though I kinda punked out and just used a publicly-available JS.  (PHP/MySQL would have let me do some neater things with the formatting -- combining the often-redundant columns, letting you sort by either writer in two-writer stories, etc.)

It IS fairly enlightening to sort by writer.  Most of the best shit was written by Len Starr or Peter Lawrence, while most of the straight-up crazy shit was written by William Overgard or Kimberly Morris.

And Ratter's other episodes weren't much better than Locket of Lies.

thetvdb.com is totally updated, with writer credits added to every episode and stupid bullshit fake airdates removed.  Plus they got the seasons split up correctly, which I think makes them the most awesome TV site on the Internet.

I've submitted writer credits to IMDb for the first season; I'll wait until those go through before I start updating the rest.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2010, 08:23:24 AM »

MTV gets a few teases out of Michael Jelenic.  That's the same Michael Jelenic who's a producer on Batman: The Brave and the Bold, so I think the people who believe it will be either (a) bad or (b) not batshit fucking walking-the-plank-in-space crazy can breathe a sigh of relief.

"One thing is that I tried to simplify the mythology a little bit," he said. "It's a pretty complicated backstory that borrows from a lot of other sci-fi stuff, like Superman and Star Wars. In developing this, I wanted it to be a little more simple. In the other version, there's something like three different planets involved, and they all converge onto one planet, and nobody's really connected. I just wanted to bring that all together."

Hm.  I can see eliminating Plun-Darr and putting the Thundercats, Mutants, and Lunatacs all on the same planet, but getting rid of the Kryptonian "fleeing a doomed planet" premise would be a pretty serious change.

And, presumably taking a cue from He-Man '02:

"Everyone always wants to know about Snarf," he laughed. "He will be in it, and he will not talk. Don't worry."

"He won't be going, 'Lion-O, why don't you do this?'" said Jelenic, imitating the character's familiar whine. "We just having him say, 'Snarf! Snarf!' That's a way to get him in the show without annoying every single person who hates him. It's funny, because people are always like, 'I hate Snarf! Wait. you're not going to put him in? That's terrible!'"

Meh.  I'm in the "Snarf is necessary but could be toned way down" camp.  I think he should still talk, and (occasionally) whine.  But I'm still cautiously optimistic about the whole thing, especially knowing it's the same guy as TB&TB.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2010, 08:34:17 AM »

"Everyone always wants to know about Snarf," he laughed. "He will be in it, and he will not talk. Don't worry."

"He won't be going, 'Lion-O, why don't you do this?'" said Jelenic, imitating the character's familiar whine. "We just having him say, 'Snarf! Snarf!' That's a way to get him in the show without annoying every single person who hates him. It's funny, because people are always like, 'I hate Snarf! Wait. you're not going to put him in? That's terrible!'"

So he's going to be Pikachu? I can live with that. The real question is, when are we going to find out about that blasted samoflange?

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2010, 10:25:11 AM »

I would be alright with Snarf if it was clear that the characters were as annoyed by him as the audience.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2010, 11:14:17 AM »

Snarf was the perfect annoying butler, his problem was he spent too much time OUTSIDE the giant cat head fortress.  I think if you limited him in that way instead of just replacing him with essentially a different character, you'd be okay.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2010, 01:19:37 PM »

Replace Snarf with Jeeves.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2010, 07:12:39 PM »

Yeah, I've actually seen him compared to Alfred on a couple other threads on the subject.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2010, 07:28:38 PM »

Having him suddenly pop up with a bazooka and blow away a robot clone of Lion-O would probably help his reputation.  It wouldn't even be that far-fetched in this setting!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2010, 07:41:58 PM »

Yeah.  They could also do like Star Wars and have everybody but the audience understand him.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2010, 07:59:59 PM »

Only if the only reply he ever receives is "Shut up you fuck."

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #31 on: November 10, 2010, 08:41:58 PM »

Nrama interviews Jelenic; he pretty much says the same stuff he said to MTV.  The only "new" information is that it's going to be "darker than The Brave and the Bold" (which doesn't really narrow things down as TB&TB is pretty damn light -- though that makes its own dark bits really stand out) and it's going to be based around major arcs.

He also compares it to Avatar (the toon) and mentions Japanese animation with western storytelling; once again this has caused concern to fanboys who have never actually watched the credits of the original show.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2010, 09:14:47 PM »

Or the intro.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 11, 2010, 05:03:20 PM »

Or the show.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2010, 05:32:49 PM »

Somebody on a Thundercats board pointed me to some more interviews.

comicbookmovie.com (audio) -- Jelenic talks a bit about trying to nail down what makes the original series so great (I would argue that the difficulty in nailing it down is in fact a big part of it), and also DOES seem to indicate that the show will involve the Thundercats losing their home (though I don't think he actually says "planet").

ToonZone -- A long one that includes other stuff, like Batman and Wonder Woman.  Sounds like he's really done his homework; he namedrops the Anointment Trials and the New Thundercats.

Also, the Batman/Scooby-Doo episode is going to be awesome, but that's another thread.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2010, 05:59:13 PM »

Nothing makes the original show great except camp value.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2010, 06:42:12 PM »

And rose-tinted glasses.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2010, 06:45:07 PM »

And being a repressed furry.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2010, 09:58:18 PM »

You can't appreciate the original Thundercats without a 5-year-old mentality or a large chunk of hipster irony.

The flipside being, you can appreciate the original Thundercats with a 5-year-old mentality or a large chunk of hipster irony.

That's what makes Thundercats great.  In an era of drugged out, fantastic and utterly nonsensical children's programming, Thundercats was by far the most drugged out, fantastic and utterly nonsensical.  And that means something.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2010, 08:44:14 AM »

Yes, exactly.  That's the point I was trying to make: it was a show where anything could happen.  There were some loose guidelines, but no rules to speak of -- you want cavemen?  Done.  Time travel?  Sure.  Space cops, space pirates, space big game hunters, superpower potions, and a mummified dog who transforms into a bat?  Check, check, check, check, and check.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15