Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Thundercats  (Read 31179 times)

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Thundercats
« Reply #260 on: March 06, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »

Based on that news release, they're called Kaynar and Addicus, respectively.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2012, 01:49:44 PM »

:mystery:  That's what I get for just looking at the pictures.

Addicus, huh?  Somehow Gregory Peck is not the first person I think of when I think of Monkian.

(Wait a minute...mockingbird...Finch...!  :mystery:)

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 06, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »

Layers upon layers, Boyd...

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »

:oic:

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #264 on: March 25, 2012, 11:47:07 AM »

Well THAT sure freewheeled back and forth between slapstick at the Berbil Village and THE MOST TERRIFYING VERSIONS OF JACKALMAN AND MONKIAN EVER.

Who could be responsible for such a mixture of whimsy and dread?  Oh.  JM DeMatteis.  Well that explains it.

Meanwhile: it's interesting to see a Lion-O who is simultaneously the most and least mature guy in the room.  His strategy for winning the war is sound, while his bitterness at Tygra and Cheetara is utterly adolescent.

Not to say they're acting much more maturely than he is.  The old "drop your weapons or we'll kill him" schtick?  Cheetara is clearly not familiar with how cartoon villains operate.  If that trick works a second time then we'll be into Original Series idiot-ballery.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 26, 2012, 02:46:53 PM »

What I want to know is how Thundera was so painfully backward despite being a supposedly great empire. There were automatic doors in Jackalman's prison for fuck's sake.

Seriously, how did they not know about technology when literally every other species has a floating tank?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #266 on: April 03, 2012, 06:44:11 AM »

So okay.  Lion-O's Anointment is my favorite arc on TOS, and I had low expectations for condensing it down to two episodes.

But I'm still disappointed.

Two main problems:

One: the "it's all a dream" part.

Two: the pure, unadulterated deus ex machina that gets Lion-O there.  This show's spent considerable energy establishing different rules for the Eye of Thundera and Jaga, quite clearly for the purpose of preventing the "Oh, the Sword can get out of black holes" resolutions of the old show -- and all that went straight out the window this episode.  You don't need "Sword of Omens, come to my hand!" to have a lame, magic fix to certain death.

And the thing is, the Anointment Trials could have worked just fine in this world.  All it would have taken would have been for Tygra to challenge Lion-O for leadership; there's your setup.

And speaking of, the Tygra-as-leader segments were much better than the Lion-O segments.  I'd like more of this.  Maybe a little less of the casual violence -- oof -- but I quite like how Lion-O and Tygra have both started playing on Slithe's insecurities.  There's more to winning a war than combat expertise, and they've got him rattled.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: April 03, 2012, 08:53:44 PM »

The thing that's getting on my nerves is that this is yet ANOTHER storyline about Lion-O learning a hard lesson and overcoming his weaknesses. It gets really frustrating really quickly when the hero is constantly getting knocked down, especially while he's already down, and he never really has a chance to stand up for a while.

If Lion-O could just be consistently awesome for just one episode while some other character got their conceitedness kicked out of them, that would be swell. Tygra could learn that Lion-O is the damn leader of the Thundercats and deserves at least some respect for his numerous accomplishments, or Cheetara could realize that she actually hurt this guy and that she needs to grow the fuck up and talk to him about it instead of just kind of expecting him to get over it.

It's telling that Cheetara was at her most developed when she was a figment created by the magic jewel stone in the gauntlet.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #268 on: April 04, 2012, 06:56:56 AM »

Yeah, I'll buy that too.  TOS focused pretty heavily on Lion-O fucking up and Learning a Lesson, but from the very first episode he was the guy everybody else could count on to save them when they were in trouble.  His relationship with the other Cats was never as adversarial as it's been in this show.

I'm fine with him and Tygra as rivals, but that bit where Tygra saved him from the Hole in the Ground should have been a turning point.  Cheetara...yeah, I think you're right about her too.

Panthro's getting there; I think he came the closest to actual constructive advice of any Thundercat in the episode, real or otherwise, with that "Kid, you're your own worst enemy" line.  And it's telling that the guy who should have had the hardest time coming to trust him is the one who's the most low-key about questioning him now.

The Anointment Trials were a big turning point for Lion-O in TOS -- I think you can really draw a clear break in his characterization in the show to Pre- and Post-Trials.  I'm hoping this show gets that too and we DO get a confident, less-impulsive leader.  He's already proven he's got good instincts and is willing to make hard choices; what he needs is to be a little less impulsive.  And he could use some support from his family.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #269 on: April 07, 2012, 03:51:44 PM »

Welp, I'm not convinced anyone learned anything, but maybe they'll act like they did.

I hear next week's involves the tigers.  Maybe we'll finally hear what the deal is with them.  And oh hey didn't the original series have a second tiger guy?

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: April 07, 2012, 04:06:05 PM »

I'm not entirely sure I understood what Lion-O was supposed to have learned. I guess it was don't be such a god damned idiot?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #271 on: April 07, 2012, 10:37:59 PM »

I'm not sure I understand what ANYONE was supposed to learn.

It occurs to me that the angst on this show is probably not just an overcorrection from TOS, but also an overcorrection from the head writer's last show, The Brave and the Bold.

It also feels decompressed as hell compared to the old series, but maybe it just feels that way because it's one episode a week instead of five.  I'm tempted to do an episode-by-episode comparison on how many wacky characters, settings, and powers got introduced at a time.

Certainly they've decreased the use of catchphrases over recycled animation, but I'm hard-pressed to say the episodes are any less formulaic.  Thundercats set out after a MacGuffin, Mutants fuck shit up, they fight, Lion-O learns a lesson.  I think there's less of Mumm-Ra than there used to be, but again, I'm tempted to actually do a straight comparison.

Anyhow, we're overdue for some levity.  (I actually liked Panthro and the Berbils, even if the Stretch Armstrong arms are a bit much.)  Seems like meeting the Tiger Clan will probably not offer much in the way of levity.

You know what show was great at alternating angsty episodes with funny ones?  Teen Titans.  I'm thinking specifically of the Judas Contract arc followed, if I'm not mistaken, by the Larry episode.

Firefly, too.  I'm still trying to convince my fiancee that Firefly is awesome; we've mostly been watching it sequentially but there was one time where I was like ooh, the next one is the one with the ship that's been attacked by Reavers -- but hey, if we skip that one, the one after THAT is Shindig; let's do that.

(EDIT TO ADD: Oh also nice use of a bit of Mumm-Ra's original theme at the beginning of this week's episode.)

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2012, 03:29:13 PM »

Welp, I'm not convinced anyone learned anything, but maybe they'll act like they did.

I hear next week's involves the tigers.  Maybe we'll finally hear what the deal is with them.  And oh hey didn't the original series have a second tiger guy?

well it's a good thing he wasn't in this one because TIEGARR WRAITHS.

Man, so much of this episode was way crazy weird and jumbled. It felt like it was supposed to be two episodes that got edited into one episode. At least Lion-O managed to be the Smart One for an entire episode.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #273 on: April 18, 2012, 08:38:50 AM »

DS game coming; looks like a bog-standard platformer.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #274 on: April 21, 2012, 07:32:30 PM »

So they've been teasing us with snowcapped peaks for two weeks now.  Next week, will we see one with a hook on the end of it?

(Also: What are they doing looking for a pass through the mountains, anyway?  And what happened to the whole thing where they were looking for one of the McGuffins when the Mutants attacked them?  Obviously they made it back to the Tank.)

(Speaking of the Tank, I like how the whole Council Chamber from TOS fits in it now.)

Wake me when someone gets put in a hole.

Surprisingly, it took 13 episodes.

Next week's episode is titled "The Pit".

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #275 on: May 10, 2012, 01:17:09 PM »

I'm just going to assume that Mumm-Ra knew the sword was there all along and was just waiting for a Cleric to show up and lift the curse.

Because the alternative is that he failed to work out that the Sword of Plun-Darr was in Mt. Plun-Darr.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 10, 2012, 06:06:07 PM »

Mumm-Ra is such a ponce in this series. Can't remember what he was like in the original, but he doesn't anything badass since the episode he just said "Fuck it", jumped in his sarcophatank and almost beat the shit out of the Cats. Now every time he personally tries to attack the cats he gets beat down until he turns in Super Mumm-Ra, then Lion-O just uses a sparkly gem and he's beat down faster than when he was just regular Mumm-Ra. More than one time where I've wondered why the Cats don't just use Lion-O's sparkly gem to go all General Sherman on Mumm-Ra's Awesome Spaceship-That-Just-Happened-To-Crash-And-Look-Like-A-Pyramid.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #277 on: May 10, 2012, 09:08:25 PM »

Can't remember what he was like in the original, but [...] every time he personally tries to attack the cats he gets beat down until he turns in Super Mumm-Ra, then Lion-O just uses a sparkly gem and he's beat down faster than when he was just regular Mumm-Ra.

That is pretty much every episode of the original series.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 11, 2012, 05:06:10 AM »

My gut said that was pretty much how things were.

On the Plun-darr issue, to be fair to the writers, it's possible the rats just named the mountain Plun-Darr after discovering that the sword was there. Which makes the rats look even more stupid (considering they kept trying to retrieve a weapon they knew to be cursed without any kind of plan for removing it, that kind of spoke volumes already). The cats don't look much better, deciding that hey they might as well make Mumm-Ra's powerful weapon useful again. It's like they never read Lord of the Rings.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #279 on: May 11, 2012, 07:48:33 AM »

Weeeeeell the point of Lord of the Rings was that somebody was going to find the Ring sooner or later and it's lucky that the good guys got their hands on it.

Of course, Lord of the Rings wasn't written with the intent of selling Mumm-Ra with Sword of Plun-Darr action figures.

Anyhow, on TOS Plun-Darr was the name of the Mutants' home planet.  So the sword was named after the planet.  Here, the mountain would presumably have to be named after the sword.

(The whole Rataro/Ratilla/Jaga thing was a nice nod to TOS too.)

Anyhow, the biggest problem with Space Conqueror Mumm-Ra is that it pretty much abandons the whole "mummy" premise.  Sure, he wears bandages and lives in a pyramid, but...the mummy archetype in monster fiction is all about explorers stumbling on ancient evil.  It's interchangeable with the Balrog in the Mines of Moria, or pretty much any given Lovecraft story.

The first episode gave us just a taste of that, of Mumm-Ra being an ancient enemy who had awoken, but ever since the Mumm-Ra in Space episode, that's been completely absent.

The early episodes of TOS did a pretty good job with that -- the Thundercats only happened upon Third Earth by chance and accident; they disturbed Mumm-Ra's rest and threatened his rule.  He's got a great Villain Monologue at the end of Pumm-Ra, when he's infiltrated the Cats' Lair and they're driving him out, where he says that they've got it backwards and it's they who have invaded HIS home.

Course, TOS kinda lost track of that idea after awhile too, to the point where in the last season he follows them home to Thundera to keep fucking with them, which kinda undercuts the whole idea of him just wanting them to leave him the fuck alone to rule Third Earth in peace.

Anyhow.  They don't use him as much in TNS as in TOS, which at least to some extent makes him a scarier and more credible villain just by virtue of not having him stupidly defeated by his own reflection each and every day.  The last time they beat him through Unexpected Resurrection, Distraction, and Go-Go-Gadget-Arms, and the time before that he didn't even show himself, he played the much cannier card of playing on Lion-O and Tygra's baser feelings toward each other.

And I imagine that, like TOS, TNS will have him much more evenly matched with Lion-O once he gets his hands on that sword.

A couple things bugging me about current continuity: first, they've pretty much just left the Stone from a few weeks ago dangling -- the episode where they were climbing the mountain to get it and were ambushed by the Mutants.  If Lion-O misread the MacGuffin Radar and it was actually directing them to the Sword of Plun-Darr, then okay, but that hasn't actually been explained; near as I can tell there's still a Power Stone up on that mountain that they just kind of abandoned.

The lack of a home base makes the whole thing feel a little more aimless, too.  I grant that it makes Third Earth seem a lot bigger than it did on TOS, that they can't just go home at the end of each episode, but the Tower of Omens could give the show some grounding, make it feel more like they're building something than just running around on a collection quest.

Then again, now that they've rescued some refugees (something that TOS didn't tackle until the last 20 episodes) maybe we'll get some more rebuilding going on.  Lion-O told them they could resettle near Thundera, which could be kind of a big deal.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15