Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15

Author Topic: Thundercats  (Read 31183 times)

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Thundercats
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 04:02:54 PM »

it's pretty awesome how they timed this to get the maximum possible murderhits to their press release.
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 08:46:07 PM »

Apparently they're going for literally dark and edgy with this one.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 11:20:31 AM »

Apparently Larry Kenney is playing Lion-O's father?  I guess he said so on Facebook.

I still don't have a Facebook account, so if somebody could verify that'd be keen.

MEANWHILE: Steve Perry's death has kinda lit a fire under my ass, not just to add writer credits to Thundercats ep listings on various sites, but to put an end to these stupid fucking "Thundercats ended in 1986" airdates for once and for all.  Simple enough on sites that don't require moderation, but IMDb mods tried to argue with me about why the copyright dates on the episodes aren't sufficient evidence that the shows didn't end in '86 (because, apparently, "some fucking guy said they did" is more compelling evidence).  Fortunately, I found a site that had some scripts which flatly contradict the '86 claim.  So hopefully I can get the IMDb listing fixed and the rest of the lemmings will follow.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010, 12:54:36 PM »

so how many months of hype are we looking at here? I mean we don't even have -concept art- yet.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010, 10:05:18 AM »

Yeah, looking forward to art, and casting/writer news (beyond Kenney as Claudus).  Looks like they've got a good group working on it, anyway.

Love all the fanboys ranting about how it's going to be "anime-style".  I mean, you know, I don't want them to go all Tiny Titans bighead or anything, but guys...the original Thundercats WAS anime-style.  It was done by a Japanese animation studio in a Japanese style.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2010, 10:07:19 AM »

I can't wait to see Snarf.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2010, 10:20:56 AM »

I gotta admit that the only way I'll be excited about this is if it turns out to be somehow Cowboy Bebop good, or if it manages to capture the same random-ass retarded brilliance as the original.  I mean as a kid I liked it because it had the best toys.  As an adult I'm amused by it because you just never know when some sort of space safari hunter or robot bear or samurai is going to show up and demand to be taken seriously.  I'm not saying it can't be brilliant on its own, but if at any point in the development somebody looks at something and says, "No, that's stupid," they'd better be prepared to go all the way.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2010, 10:49:21 AM »

I think it could totally do a He-Man and play it straight.

That said, I'm pretty damn sure we'll see Berbils at some point.  And probably Hachiman.  Safari Joe could be fun too -- I can see him having some traction because Perry created him.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2010, 11:02:13 AM »

He-Man Remake was actually pretty silly in a subtle way.  Once it tried to play it completely straight it fell on its face.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2010, 11:23:14 AM »

Right, that's what I meant.  There's a limit to how straight you can play ROBOT BEARS.  Some silliness is necessary -- indeed, welcome.  But I could go for less breathing/gravity in space.  And try to iron out some of the more jarring plotholes.  Like, who the fuck is Vultureman and where did he come from and why are they acting like he's been here the whole time?

The best episodes of the original series were the ones that played it mostly-straight but still had plenty of crazy shit to go around.

On the whole, though?  I'll watch this thing, probably religiously, but I think you and I are pretty much in agreement.  It'll never give me the same kind of feeling that the original did when I watched it the first time, and it'll be hard-pressed to give me the same kind of feeling that the original did when Cartoon Network finally dusted it off and replayed it when I was 13.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2010, 11:42:03 AM »

Fixing plot-holes is fine, but please don't fix breathing and gravity in space.  That shit is comedy gold.

Especially when Star Wars does it. there's an educational bit about the solar system immediately following it.  Fuck it, let's just remake Silverhawks instead.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2010, 09:55:07 AM »

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2010, 11:00:28 AM »

fattycheeks
6 days ago 5
I don't know if this is a compliment but as a Thundercats fan I must say this trailer gave me extreme wood that I banged my wife 6 ways from Sunday!!! She also thanks you!

I... I don't know if that's a compliment either.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 04:13:45 PM »

Fixing plot-holes is fine, but please don't fix breathing and gravity in space.  That shit is comedy gold.

Especially when Star Wars does it. there's an educational bit about the solar system immediately following it.  Fuck it, let's just remake Silverhawks instead.

I watched a Silverhawks today.  That shit is fucking CRAZY.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 07:52:52 PM »

Larry Kenney interview.  Haven't listened to the whole thing yet but the big revelation he's given so far is that Lion-O and Tygra are brothers on the new series.  (Fan speculation is that Tygra is adopted.  Still, there was a pretty huge age gap between them on the original series.)  He doesn't think any of the other original cast members have been given roles on the new series as yet.

Also: Wiegel on Reno 911 is his daughter.  Huh.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 12:04:25 AM »

I watched a Silverhawks today.  That shit is fucking CRAZY.

"I almost fell all the way down to Earth!"

My favorite part was that they would then teach kids about astronomy at the end of each episode.

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 12:41:52 AM »

life is a lot easier when you're partly metal, partly real

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »

As I've been going through the writer credits for Thundercats and Silverhawks, I have discovered that most of the craziest breathing-in-space physics-bending shit came from a single writer, William Overgard.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 04:57:21 PM »

Who wrote Locket of Lies?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 15