Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15

Author Topic: Thundercats  (Read 31114 times)

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
Re: Thundercats
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2011, 08:29:02 PM »

I hope it's just image rescaling that makes those toys look like they used Sam Gamgee's mold.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2011, 02:15:47 AM »

Try clicking on them.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2011, 12:03:23 PM »

More toy pics, featuring Angry Thundertank and Classic Series Lion-O with Claw Shield Inexplicably Missing a Fucking Finger.

EDIT: On closer investigation, the Claw Shield on the old cartoon WAS four-fingered.  Huh.  (Though it had five fingers on the toy and in the comics.)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2011, 03:42:49 PM »

New toy video.  Quick glimpse of Mumm-Ra, who looks a lot closer to his original design than the rest; the Tower of Omens is in the new show too, and I'm pretty sure I saw a brief shot of Grune.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2011, 11:32:39 PM »

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2011, 11:51:01 PM »

Interesting.  The original series, Lion-O wasn't as much of a brash idiot as this depiction.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2011, 02:08:41 AM »

I like it. Lion-O really comes across as a boy in the body of a man -- essentially, a teenager. He's cocky, yet his dialogue is really sort of lame. The kind of stuff that a boy would find the height of wit.

Sort of like Superboy-Prime, if he didn't have 'psychotic murderer' on his resume.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #67 on: February 19, 2011, 08:13:48 AM »

That'd be the CG movie that may or may not get made.  I'm inclined to think its odds are pretty low given that it'd clash with the new series.

Interesting.  The original series, Lion-O wasn't as much of a brash idiot as this depiction.

Well, kinda, in the early episodes.  He outgrew it.

The main divergence is that Jaga didn't show up and tell him "Hey, you can make the sword fly back to you.  Even if its eye's been covered and it's been dropped in a fucking black hole."

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2011, 08:13:57 AM »

More from MTV.  Includes blurry glances at Slithe, Mumm-Ra, and the Thunderkittens (whose look I really don't care for).  Video has better looks at Mumm-Ra (Sword of Plun-Darr included), Grune, and a mystery reptilian.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2011, 09:04:44 AM »

Thunderlilties!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2011, 06:41:45 AM »

More toy pics.  Notably, that's not the Sword of Plun-Darr in that Mumm-Ra figure's freakishly oversized hand; also interestingly, it looks like it's got an "Eye of Thundera" of its own.  Could be nothing (the original Mumm-Ra figure came with two swords that he never used on the show); could be that's the new Sword of Plun-Darr and the figure holding the oldschool one was one of the "Classics" toys.

There WAS a reference in the first press release to "Stones of Power"; I really don't care much for the collection quest sound of that, but it could be there's a world full of artifacts just as powerful as the Eye of Thundera.  Eyes DO tend to come in pairs.

(The Superman/Thundercats comic had a second Eye of Thundera just chilling in a museum in Metropolis.  No explanation was ever given.)

(And hey, the Claw Shield's got an eye on it too.  Could just be the symbol, though; the Thundercats like to paint it on everything.)

(Oh also, look at Panthro -- that's the first I've seen a visible Thundercat insignia on one of the toys; up to this point they've been empty red circles on the figures themselves and on the artwork.  There was some conjecture that they were Transformers-style heat-sensitive things.)

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 25, 2011, 11:23:12 AM »

Was flipping through the channels when I saw some award show on cartoon network for sports or what have it.. Nothing better was on at the time. Well turns out the new Thundercats show had a trailer on there. Looked pretty good! Should see a video show up on youtube sometime soon.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2011, 04:23:39 PM »

Someone at thundercatsnow.com is working on a fairly exhaustive rundown of Toyfair.

All the Thundercats have visible insignias now.  And the Sword of Plun-Darr DOES look a lot more like the Sword of Omens now -- it's still double-bladed (probably two halves that combine), but it's got a red eye and it looks like it shrinks down to something very similar to the dormant Sword of Omens, as opposed to the coiled-snakes version on the old toon.  Mumm-Ra's even got a tentacle-rapey Claw Shield.

More to come, as apparently they're just aggregating info on other sites.

Also: Jim Meskimen is doing some voices on the show; hasn't said who.  But he designed most of the minor cast on the original series.  Also, an important namedrop I didn't recall hearing before: Andrea Romano is the voice director.  She's probably the best in the business; show's in good hands.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #73 on: February 26, 2011, 04:53:44 AM »

Should see a video show up on youtube sometime soon.

ThunderCats Remake Trailer

This is just the sort of shit I wanted to see: more Thundera, Claudus as Lord of the Thundercats, Grune before his betrayal and banishment.

Granted, that's pretty much what the first episode of MotU '02 did.  But it was a good idea then and it's a good idea now.

ALSO: Stills at bleedingcool.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #74 on: February 27, 2011, 05:18:45 AM »

Comments I wrote on that stills post:

Lots more caps at thundercats.ws.  Good looks at Jaga, Claudus, and Grune, and a couple glimpses of Cats' Lair.

The Reptilian in stocks is in the background in the shot where Cheetara stands protectively in front of Tygra and Lion-O; in another shot, Reptilians in chains are dragging something nasty-looking.  Other fans have suggested that it's Grune who has enslaved the Reptilians, and that possibly the thing they're dragging is some kind of prison holding Mumm-Ra (which would fit that menacing-looking engraving you've got in your second grab).

At a glance, I'd say Grune decides to take harsh measures against the Mutants, this is popular with the crowds in the streets but not exactly a shining example of the Code of Thundera.  Tygra, Lion-O, and Cheetara show up to try and talk some sense into an angry mob and it doesn't go well.  We've got pitchforks and torches, and what appear to be Thundercat guards who seem to be on Grune's side.

Jelenic's mentioned that the Thundercats would lose their home in this series, but hasn't explicitly said that Thundera would be destroyed as in the original series.  Wouldn't it be interesting if they were ousted by their own people and Grune was put on the throne?  I'd say it's more likely that Mumm-Ra shows up and trashes the place, but the political intrigue angle has a lot of potential.

(I'd also quite like to see Lynxana, a rogue Thundercat from the Marvel comics, as one of the Thundercats who sides with Grune, but odds are pretty low on that one.)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2011, 01:43:45 PM »

Kevin Michael Richardson is Panthro, which isn't exactly surprising as he plays 50% of all black guys in American animation (and 10% of white guys).  He's a great pick.

He adds that Will Friedle is Lion-O, which is a nice fit too.

Anyway, two from Andrea Romano's stable of collaborators.  Bet we'll get more.  (Conroy for Grune!  Hamill for Jackalman!  Canals for Mandora!)

EDIT: Emmanuelle Chriqui as Cheetara.  I've never gotten around to watching Entourage, so I guess I know her from...a few miscellaneous cartoon roles and an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark in 1996?

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2011, 11:51:09 PM »

She is easy on the eyes in Entourage but there's not a whole lot to say about her past that. We'll see if she can do more emotions than smug or annoyed.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2011, 10:34:37 PM »

Official Cartoon Network version of the trailer, higher quality and about 30 seconds longer (mostly in an extended sequence at the beginning where we see more of the Mumm-Ra engraving, including what appears to be a battle against Claudus -- or possibly one of his ancestors).

DestyNova

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 29, 2011, 12:00:48 AM »

Hoping for The Demolisher to show up again and punch everyone in the face.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2011, 11:14:38 AM »

DEMOLISHER WINS, LION-O LOSES
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 15