Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15

Author Topic: Thundercats  (Read 31173 times)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Thundercats
« Reply #140 on: August 06, 2011, 11:03:10 AM »

How often, on average, does Lion-o forget what his powers are?

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 06, 2011, 01:08:58 PM »

God that was weird after the premiere. Just one episode out the gate, and they're doing a straight, no-frills Moby Dick concept. You're supposed to do this sort of stuff in the middle of season 3, when you need some real filler material and you've already done the episode where they get into an organized car race and win in spite of the guy who's cheating with the engine sabotage and the one where they get shrunk and have to fight the spider in the spider web

That said it was pretty enjoyable regardless... just... I dunno... weird

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #142 on: August 06, 2011, 02:03:53 PM »

How often, on average, does Lion-o forget what his powers are?

We're early enough in yet that he has the excuse of not knowing what they are.  (And neither do we, strictly speaking; in TOS the sword's powers were "whatever the fuck is convenient in the last five minutes of the show", but this one might have rules of some sort.)

Anyway.  In this episode, he exhibited the power of telling people to swim toward something they could cling to, pulling on a rope, and using the sword to cut a monster up.

...so actually the sword DOES have a power that it didn't in the original series: it can now be used as a sword.

God that was weird after the premiere. Just one episode out the gate, and they're doing a straight, no-frills Moby Dick concept.

The day after Futurama, no less.

You're supposed to do this sort of stuff in the middle of season 3, when you need some real filler material and you've already done the episode where they get into an organized car race and win in spite of the guy who's cheating with the engine sabotage

Didn't Batman:TB&TB do that at the beginning of season 2?

and the one where they get shrunk and have to fight the spider in the spider web

And that in the middle of season 1?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 06, 2011, 07:53:44 PM »

God that was weird after the premiere. Just one episode out the gate, and they're doing a straight, no-frills Moby Dick concept. You're supposed to do this sort of stuff in the middle of season 3, when you need some real filler material and you've already done the episode where they get into an organized car race and win in spite of the guy who's cheating with the engine sabotage and the one where they get shrunk and have to fight the spider in the spider web

Whereabouts in the series do they do an episode where they meet a con artist who tricks Lion-O into trading his gold claw away, but then Lion-O has second thoughts later, but the con-man's already taken it to Mumm-Ra who puts a curse on it, and when Lion-O gets it back it tries to strangle him?

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 07, 2011, 01:38:42 AM »

God that was weird after the premiere. Just one episode out the gate, and they're doing a straight, no-frills Moby Dick concept.

The day after Futurama, no less.

You're supposed to do this sort of stuff in the middle of season 3, when you need some real filler material and you've already done the episode where they get into an organized car race and win in spite of the guy who's cheating with the engine sabotage

Didn't Batman:TB&TB do that at the beginning of season 2?

and the one where they get shrunk and have to fight the spider in the spider web

And that in the middle of season 1?
Not sure how you're versing either of those statements (assuming dead serious, because a total lack of sarcasm is your one true defining point!), but I for REALS cannot tell if either of these statements is meant in the good way or bad way.

I've enjoyed it, so far.  But in the way I enjoyed GI Joe: Renegades, and thats troublesome.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #145 on: August 07, 2011, 07:44:37 AM »

Deep Ones in a laser-equipped hovership on a sandsea fighting an Elder Thing?  Lion-O spends the show being stupidly reckless, learns a heavyhanded moral lesson, and then saves the day by not really doing much of anything?

Now THIS is Thundercats.
FTFY.

I like how everybody's rocking an asymmetrical outfit now. I like to imagine that when Wilykit and Wilykat found those clothes at the beginning of the episode, they just found one outfit and split it. It would explain why one of them has just a right glove and one of them has just a left glove.

This show makes me want to play JRPGs so bad.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #146 on: August 07, 2011, 11:32:47 AM »

Not sure how you're versing either of those statements (assuming dead serious, because a total lack of sarcasm is your one true defining point!), but I for REALS cannot tell if either of these statements is meant in the good way or bad way.

Not really any point to it other than "The Brave and the Bold is awesome."

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #147 on: August 12, 2011, 08:46:19 AM »

Finally, four episodes in, we're going to get some Panthro action.

io9 has an interview with KMR.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: August 12, 2011, 07:19:08 PM »

Yeah, wow. Episode 4 was just... weird.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: August 13, 2011, 05:45:28 AM »

DVRed it last night, caught it this morning.

It's like that one part of (I think) Soul Blazer, where you have the village of people who only live for a few months.  The idea that life is ephemeral.  Hell, they outright spell out the message near the end.

PANTHRO.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: August 13, 2011, 06:31:57 AM »

PANTHRO.

I really, really, REALLY wish they had gone with a different voice actor.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: August 13, 2011, 06:48:26 AM »

BUGE.  You have an EDH game to kill me in.  GET OVER THERE.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: August 13, 2011, 07:25:28 AM »

I just played a thing! Respond, if you dare.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #153 on: August 13, 2011, 09:39:59 PM »

I liked it quite a bit.  Lots of handwaving near the end, and it was all a little cute, but it was a neat enough central premise; very Doctor Who.  And yeah, the last minute was pretty great.

I really, really, REALLY wish they had gone with a different voice actor.

He'll take some getting used to, but I quite like KMR.  Jolee Bindo was my favorite character in KotOR.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: August 14, 2011, 07:24:36 AM »

Yeah, liked it quite a bit too. Enjoyed how they would regularly drop lines like "The Thundercats have been with us for our whole lives!", as if they could never remember a time when Liono had not been helping them get out of this bramble

Wonder what happened to that chameleon guy

you think

you think he's ok

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2011, 06:51:11 PM »

Now THAT was some fanwank.

So far Panthro is too scowly, but granted he's been through a lot.  He's finally cracking a grin by the end of the episode so hopefully he'll come to resemble the lighthearted, quick-to-laugh Panthro we know and love.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: August 20, 2011, 08:27:31 AM »

Anybody else notice that Panthro has a tail in about half those flashbacks?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #157 on: August 20, 2011, 09:29:58 AM »

Yeah.  Not sure what's up with the tails.  Do they, like, fall off?  Did he lose it in battle?

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: August 20, 2011, 09:39:40 AM »

I'm pretty sure he lost it like Grune lost that one tooth. Apparently, according to the creators... er... authors? Writers? Tails are a part of the Thunderian caste system (Tailless Cats>Tailed Cats>Non-Cats>Beasts of Burden>Tailless Cat Stool>Lizardmen)

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: August 20, 2011, 10:57:21 AM »

Kind of a worryingly average cartoon episode. Liked the flashbacks however!

So far Panthro is too scowly, but granted he's been through a lot.  He's finally cracking a grin by the end of the episode so hopefully he'll come to resemble the lighthearted, quick-to-laugh Panthro we know and love.

This. Granted, a huge part of it was Panthro's voice actor in the old series, but man, really hoping they stick with the Warrior Ernest Borgnine angle they had in the original. He was like the Thundercats' awesome uncle.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 15