Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15

Author Topic: Thundercats  (Read 31121 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Thundercats
« Reply #180 on: September 07, 2011, 05:15:18 PM »

So basically the other races united to help the Cats overthrow Mumm-ra, then got kicked out of society later. Totally sounds like the lizardmen have legitimate beef in this series.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: September 07, 2011, 05:28:25 PM »

Was that Cree Summer?

Sounded like.

IMDB says yes (and that her name was Panthera) but IMDB says the original series ended in 1986, so grain of salt.

Arrrgh

Not that I don't enjoy Cree Summer, but her voice is so ubiquitous that it pulls me out of every show I watch.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: September 09, 2011, 04:05:31 AM »

So you could remove your tail to go up a rank? They didn't think this through very well did they.

Well, I doubt they could just remove their tail and move up, but now that you mention it I wouldn't be surprised if Tailed Cats would be expected to remove their tails when they ascended castes, which would be another explanation for why Pantro lost his tail.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #183 on: September 09, 2011, 09:04:57 AM »

So basically the other races united to help the Cats overthrow Mumm-ra, then got kicked out of society later. Totally sounds like the lizardmen have legitimate beef in this series.

Though, on the other hand, teaming up with Mumm-Ra doesn't seem like the best way to get revenge on the people who helped Mumm-Ra persecute and enslave them.  I'm curious how much of the story they remember.  The Cats seem to have very consciously excised "We were Mumm-Ra's shock troops...in SPACE!" from their history, though I suspect Jaga had at least an inkling.

Of course, the fact that Tygra's ancestor is the Thundercat who remained loyal to Mumm-Ra is presumably related to the fact that Tygra was not raised by his biological family.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: September 09, 2011, 10:50:37 AM »

See, after the first episode, I was hoping they'd get more into the socio-political aspects of the class divide between the Cats and... everyone else. At least, as well as a kid's cartoon can.

The way I figured it, Mumm-ra offered them a chance to topple the current power structure, and when it was a choice between starving on the outskirts of the kingdom or aligning themselves with Mumm-ra, the lizardmen chose the option that helped them. An alliance of convenience. Or maybe the story of Mumm-ra enslaving them has been lost, replaced instead by the story of the Cats oppressing them.

There's a lot there for the writers to work with, at least when they get bored of writing episodes where Mumm-ra gets impatient and starts doing donuts in the forest with his tank.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #185 on: September 09, 2011, 11:37:32 AM »

And now that Lion-O's stated goal is to unite the different tribes, there's the very interesting question of how THAT will go.

There are obviously Lizardmen who aren't totally onboard with Slithe.  Will they splinter off and join with Lion-O?

Or, more interestingly, will Slithe recognize that, with Thundera destroyed and Claudus dead, Mumm-Ra is the greatest threat to him, and switch sides for a temporary alliance with the Thundercats?  That would be a lot more interesting than the standard trope of serving Mumm-Ra while plotting against him.

Also an option: Lion-O unites the Mutant factions -- against himself.  The first episode of TOS made it clear that the three Mutant races working together was completely unprecedented, and I always wanted to see more of that.  The rest of the series certainly played a lot with the idea that the Mutants' (and Lunatacs') greatest weakness was their inability to cooperate, but it would be neat to see what they could accomplish if they actually COULD.

Long-term, the series has to converge on #1: Slithe's not going to reform, but ultimately you HAVE to have the Thundercats unite with good-hearted Mutants, because otherwise you're left with something cynical (that also ends up promoting the same racist undertones that the series has taken great pains to flout).  But short-term, I'd be interested in seeing how the other possibilities could go.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: September 09, 2011, 04:55:51 PM »

Well, I gotta know just what the general public thinks of Lion-O right now.  I mean, I'm sure the cats weren't wiped out to a man, but we haven't seen anyone really from Thundera since the kingdom fell.  Thad touched on this earlier, but I'm willing to bet that some out there blame Lion-O for all this.  After all, he's the one who insisted that the two lizardmen be released.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: September 10, 2011, 09:05:12 AM »

Well, that was a fun episode, but I'm kind of getting sick of Lion-o. I mean, we basically just had two episodes in a row of nothing but Lion-o's adventures without the rest of the Thundercats. We haven't heard Cheetara or the Thunderkittens talk for two whole damn episodes.

Give us a Tygra episode or something. Or one about Cheetara, something that would give her more personality than just being Lion-o's cheerleader for once.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: September 10, 2011, 09:25:10 AM »

Enjoyed it!

Was really on the fence about continuing with this thing after the Sight Beyond Sight episode, but this one and the one before it have been fun.

Did they ever explain how Drifter sorta floats around everywhere or am thinking too much about this?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #189 on: September 10, 2011, 12:16:41 PM »

Agreed on both counts.  On the one hand, I loved the introduction of a couple of really weird characters and I like it when they crank up the anything-can-happen randomness of TOS, like the whole world is one giant Mos Eisley Cantina.

But yeah, need to focus on the other Thundercats now.

EDIT: And by "now" I mean whenever the hell the next episode actually airs.  I don't see any info on new stuff past this, suggesting CN is engaging in its usual schedule dickery.  Speaking of which, apparently next week we're getting Young Justice instead.

"Yay."

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: September 10, 2011, 06:50:40 PM »

Did they ever explain how Drifter sorta floats around everywhere or am thinking too much about this?

Heavy-handed symbolism. That's pretty much it. I agree that they need to do more episodes featuring other members of the team. I'm still waiting for them to have an episode that finally resolves the treasure map the Wilykittens were excited about in the pilot. And how the heck did Tygra get so enthusiastic about all the technology he dismissed in the pilot? I know pilot episodes aren't necessarily indicative of characterization and tone for the rest of the series, but it would have been nice to have it mesh with the rest of the episodes, or at least flow into them better.

Also:

:ohshi~:

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: September 10, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: September 10, 2011, 08:06:21 PM »

the outward arrow thing has been a symbol of at least the idea of chaos for a long time jfyi

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: September 10, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »

Oh, I know. It dates back to at least Michael Moorcock's Elric stories. I'm just curious to see if the conceit is intentional or not.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #194 on: September 10, 2011, 09:24:49 PM »

Heavy-handed symbolism. That's pretty much it.

Well, that and wonderful fucking weirdness.  Guys who do crazy shit like that show up all the time in Thundercats, and nobody ever questions it.

And how the heck did Tygra get so enthusiastic about all the technology he dismissed in the pilot?

He dismissed it because he didn't think it actually worked.  He was the first one to pick up a blaster once he saw that all this shit was real and not a fairy tale.

There's also the fact that the guy who was sitting right next to him and egging him on as he dismissed the existence of technology turned out to be lying and planning to use it to kill his father and burn his city to the ground.

I know pilot episodes aren't necessarily indicative of characterization and tone for the rest of the series, but it would have been nice to have it mesh with the rest of the episodes, or at least flow into them better.

A line or two of dialogue would have been nice, but I think it's a pretty clear progression.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: September 11, 2011, 12:10:11 PM »

Heavy-handed symbolism. That's pretty much it.

Well, that and wonderful fucking weirdness.  Guys who do crazy shit like that show up all the time in Thundercats, and nobody ever questions it.

Rmm, yes.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #196 on: September 11, 2011, 12:17:58 PM »

Also, that was definitely Garry Chalk as the Duelist, but was the Drifter Stephen Root?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2011, 06:12:01 AM »

... why did they paint Cheetara's clothes onto her? That seems like something you could reasonably recreate... with clothes.

EDIT: it occurs to me that maybe I'm too much of a geek to appreciate sexy ladies in body paint.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: September 16, 2011, 03:43:20 AM »

Eh.

NEW EPISODE TONIGHT

HOW NONSEQUITUR WILL IT BE?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15