Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: Round-Robin RPG awesomeness!  (Read 11225 times)

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Round-Robin RPG awesomeness!
« on: June 07, 2010, 03:22:04 PM »

Current Games / Times

Game #1
System: 3.5 D&D
Time: at ~6pm CST on Sundays (Next Game: July 4th)
Current/Next DM:  Makaris
Players
Zach [Zargon the Human Sorceror 1]
Makaris [Rysek the Human Cleric 1]
Malikial [Eadric the Human Paladin 1]
McDohl [Georg the Human Fighter 1]
Joxam [Maxwell the Human Bard 1]
Setuthua [Snurr the Goblin Rogue 1]

Game #2
System: 4e D&D
Time: ~4pm CST on Thursdays (Next Game: July 1st)
Current/Next DM:  Lottel
Players
Lottel [Leifrim the Dwarf Ranger 3]
Buge [Saffiyah the Drow Warlock 3]
Makaris [Severian the Half-Elf Paladin 3]
Joxam [Dev the Goblin Rogue 3]
Malikial [Kalif the Hobgoblin Warden 3]
Somn [Ilyia the Half-Elf Warlord 3]

- Original Post -
Guys, guys!  I have a great idea on how we can get an actual game rolling!  I call it Makaris's Brand New Awesome RPG Idea To Avoid Game Crashing And Great Sadness!

Round-Robin Style DMing.  We each take it in turn to be DM, one session per player.  Play lasts for an allotted amount of time, or until it is appropriate to end the game.  The next game, regardless of where left off, is taken up by the next DM in line.  The story, plot and adventurers would be fully emergent based on this formula.   Your session be silly, next can be serious, scary, whatever. 

I feel this might go a long way to avert player and DM burn-out.  Obviously, DMPC's are likely, and if you want to tell a story about your character, that's fine.  I don't think anyone is particularly douche'y enough to give their character a vorpal weapon on their first round of DMing... and if you do, be careful what the next DM does to your character! 

I figure we'll be using 4e D&D, but I'm open to idea's... though given that everyone playing would also need to be well versed enough to RUN a game, D&D is probably the automatic choice.

So, who would be interested in such a game?

Edit:  Oh yeah!  Scheduling!  When you post, also state when you could play once-a-week-or-so.  Once we can get 4-5 people that can play at around the same time, we'll be gold.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Round-Robin RPG awesomeness!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 03:34:32 PM »

Thursday, Friday, or Saturday evenings for myself, starting at about 5 PM central.

I'd totally be in on something.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 09:46:22 PM »

I'd totally do this! This is the exact sort of thing I've been wanting.
I can do it any time except for Friday from 3-12, Saturday from 3-12, and Sunday from 4-10.

TO CLARIFY. All day from Monday to Thursday. And during the day Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. All times Central.

Setuthua

• Lord of the CockDuster
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 11:24:31 PM »

THIS!!!!

Although I am not too great with D&D to begin with, I can try to learn more about it!

Only days that I can not do are Monday, Wednesday and Friday. otherwise, I am available pretty much any time!

You know what would be fun? If we could do like a World-Jumping game. That way it would give the GM's excuses to try and do extremely different things!

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 04:11:48 AM »

I am understandably curious to see how you'd manage to keep things coherent from week-to week... unless it's going to play out like an anthology show. Count me in. I need DM practice.

I can play just about any day or time.

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 04:56:34 AM »

I'm willing to give rhis a go but my schedule is a bit... annoying. I can play Monday 4 - 9. Wed 4 - 9. Thurs all day, Friday and Saturday 4 - 9 and Sunday all day.

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:32:51 AM »

I am understandably curious to see how you'd manage to keep things coherent from week-to week... unless it's going to play out like an anthology show. Count me in. I need DM practice.

I can play just about any day or time.

Coherency is overrated!  It'll be fun, regardless of how sensible it'd be.  But I fully expect one DM to maybe 'share his notes' or whatever with next DM, so that the campaigns general flow wouldn't be interrupted.  I understand it might not be fun for everyone if mid-fight with the dragon we're suddenly handed laser guns and taken prisoner by aliens to be exhibited in an extraterrestrial TERRAN HERO EXPO.  OR WOULD IT?

THIS!!!!

Although I am not too great with D&D to begin with, I can try to learn more about it!

Only days that I can not do are Monday, Wednesday and Friday. otherwise, I am available pretty much any time!

You know what would be fun? If we could do like a World-Jumping game. That way it would give the GM's excuses to try and do extremely different things!

I thought of that, world jumping thing, but I figured it would be more annoying than anything to have to have everyone remake their characters over and over again for different systems.  But when it comes around to be X DM's turn, they could issue a call to see who would be interested and if everyone agrees that I would see no problem in it!  If everyone thinks this would be a good idea, we could have that Anthology-style game Buge suggested.

I am thrilled by the response so far.  Right now, Thursday evening seems like the best day to get everyone involved.

How should we decide first DM, and then the subsequent order?  I don't want to assume that it'd be me.  Also, how would you like to run the game?  Just IRC with a dice bot, or with some sort of more advanced utility?

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2010, 07:51:13 AM »

I am going to say I wouldn't be against world hopping. Or at least I'd be fine with there not being a BIG BAD that the whole campaign leads to killing.  Unless the worlds are vastly different, I don't really see a reason to have to remake characters or anything. The way I see it, it'd be fairly easy for the new DM to hand out the quest of the day or something and take us through the adventure.
Either way, I have... 15 or so DnD characters already made up and ready to go. So I won't be inconvenienced either way, I suppose.
tl;dr: Anthology gets my vote. Get's less frustrating overall and keeps things fresh.

As for the DM thing, I'd say we just ask for the next DM to be a volunteer. That should work out just fine. I mean, we COULD make an order list but then I think it could dangerously make being the DM work, instead of "Oooo! That adventure gave me an idea. HERE" Either way would work for me, though.

And the method? I don't care. I'm good with GameTable alone, GT and IRC, GT and Skype, whatever.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2010, 08:11:19 AM »

I understand it might not be fun for everyone if mid-fight with the dragon we're suddenly handed laser guns and taken prisoner by aliens to be exhibited in an extraterrestrial TERRAN HERO EXPO.  OR WOULD IT?

Time Gal: The RPG

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2010, 08:23:41 AM »

How about this idea.  I generally want as little structure as possible, so I'm a little iffy on this, but how about we play in one world/setting/adventure thingie, with a ordered list of DM's.  The intial DM sets the tone and background, the last DM (determined randomly) handles the finale, and then the next adventure in the anthology begins?  Just a random idea.  Probably too structured to fit into this chaotic idea.

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 12:06:31 PM »

World-jumping instantly makes me think of Planescape and Spelljammer, both D&D settings formed around the idea of smashing together as many styles of play as possible. If the PCs were members of some organization in Sigil, or the crew of a certain ship, that would even provide a useful "out" for excusing why a different person was missing every adventure.

Oh, I'm in. Evenings during CST are best, but I'm flexible.

Saturday evenings look like the winner so far.

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2010, 12:31:20 PM »

I am, sadly, not too familiar with either of those settings.  From what I've heard, they're both incredibly awesome, but maybe too complicated for EVERYONE to be able to DM smoothly.  Do we have a 4e resource that we could distribute to everyone to look over?  Spelljammer is my vote in particular.

Edit:  http://spelljammer.wikia.com/wiki/Spelljammer_Wiki.  Reading now.

Double Edit: nyaaaa fuck that wiki, it doesn't seem to have much information.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2010, 12:37:25 PM »

I have everything 4e ever. If anyone needs anything, let me know...

Saturday evenings look like the winner so far.

I thought Thursdays look the best.  I mean everyone is free on Thursdays I think. I can't play on Saturdays, at least.

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2010, 01:56:07 PM »

Extensive knowledge of the central hub isn't necessary. It's just something to link together the different settings that everyone wants to explore.

Although Planescape purists may scoff at some of the updates, it sounds like what's available in the Manual of the Planes would be all that we need to start in Sigil and radiate outward. After glancing through said manual, I'd prefer an earlier D&D iteration for the rules (or Savage Worlds, but that would be pushing it.)

I thought Thursdays look the best.  I mean everyone is free on Thursdays I think. I can't play on Saturdays, at least.

So it is!

Setuthua

• Lord of the CockDuster
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2010, 08:17:53 PM »

Everything feels like a comic book using the Savage Worlds system. Which is awesome!

It is also incredibly easy to make NPC's using savage worlds. The only problem I foresee with Savage worlds is the way Initiative is handled. Where are we going to get a virtual deck of cards to hand out to everyone?

So for simplicity (read: convenience), we should probably stick to D&D.

There aren't too many options out there for virtual tabletops. You've had success with Maptool, right Makaris?

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 09:02:57 PM »

Yes, but MapTool has a pretty steep learning curve.  I would not subject someone to it lightly.

Thinking about it more, I don't know if going with an established setting is too good of an idea.  I don't want anyone to feel restricted to the kind of session they can run, other than keeping with the general D&D fantasy theme.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 10:07:12 PM »

Yeah. I honestly think GENERIC DnD setting would be the ideal place. Individual sessions can add other flavors but they wouldn't be ingrained in the world. I think that way we could have a wide buffet from which to choose.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2010, 04:16:46 AM »

Gametable is my preferred table software for quick preparation times. MapTools looks better but I hear it has a steeper learning curve and takes longer to prepare a map with all the nice graphics. Alternatively, I've run some successful 3E games with just IRC.

A drawback to 4th edition is that past level three all players need to purchase or pirate the character generation software. If that's going to be a problem, you could try Labyrinth Lord for free oldschool D&D gaming, or The Hypertext D20 SRD for free third edition play (find the character generation and XP rules elsewhere).

Makaris

• Just chill'n
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2010, 09:34:45 AM »

So, who wants to DM first?  When posting, specify system / level / background info, whatever we might need.

If we get this hashed out today, we might be able to start as soon as tomorrow?

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2010, 09:45:41 AM »

I'd be up for tomorrow. And I am going to say this: I do not mind DMing. In fact, sometimes I really like it. But I'd rather not go first. I haven't had a chance to PLAY for a while. I'm usually the DM. So when it comes to my turn, I'll be all for DMing.
Just not until I get some play time in.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7