Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12

Author Topic: Beasts  (Read 22335 times)

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Beasts
« Reply #140 on: October 16, 2010, 09:08:43 AM »

Toads, parrots, and iguanas are regularly sold in pet stores so I still don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 16, 2010, 09:14:15 AM »

I don't think toads, parrots or iguanas are known for carrying rabies.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 16, 2010, 10:00:12 AM »

Rabies is bad news, but people keep rats which are also a big rabies vector. Hell, any mammal is a potential rabies vector.

Toads, parrots, and iguanas are regularly sold in pet stores so I still don't know what the fuck you're talking about.
None of those are domesticated? As in, human's aren't inserting themselves into a stable leadership role?

Dogs are a special subset of wolves because of how readily they accept humans as "the boss".

Iguanas definitely aren't domesticated and unless you're really lucky and in careful control of their development they'll still be skittish, prone to biting, and destructive (if you're dumb enough to let them out of their cage). They can also carry a few nasty diseases, although it's relatively easy to raise an iguana to have primarily human contact during its development.

I just found myself wondering why rats, iguanas, and parrots get the pet treatment while raccoons don't. Maybe its how predatory they are?

I'm not saying that Dooly should keep those raccoons or anything. I'm just looking for (and finding) responses with more insight than, "It's just not done. You're stupid, Classic."

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 16, 2010, 10:08:15 AM »

Do you actually know what domestication refers to?

Or do you assume it is a word that is interchangeable with "trained"?

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 16, 2010, 10:11:23 AM »

I was using this definition for domestication, so maybe you're using a different one?

Most importantly, the last trait.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 16, 2010, 10:17:04 AM »

And yet.

Domestication (from Latin domesticus) or taming is the process whereby a population of animals or plants, through a process of selection, becomes accustomed to human provision and control. A defining characteristic of domestication is artificial selection by humans. Some species such as the Asian Elephant, numerous members of which have for many centuries been used as working animals, are not domesticated [1] because they have not normally been bred under human control[original research?], even though they have been commonly tamed. Humans have brought these populations under their control & care for a wide range of reasons: to produce food or valuable commodities (such as wool, cotton, or silk), for help with various types of work (such as transportation or protection), for protection of themselves and livestock and for scientific research, such as finding cures for certain diseases or simply to enjoy as companions or ornaments.

You may notice that the article mentions "breeding" a lot.  Raccoons have not been bred for particular, non-harmful traits.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 16, 2010, 10:49:29 AM »

Did I completely fuck up and say that raccoons are domesticated? I don't think I did. I think I said we keep lots of undomesticated "small" (in quotes because I'm using it to mean animals under 50lbs.). So I started wondering why people don't like raccoons as pets.

I got two answers,
I've never seen a tame one.

and,
RABIES!!!

Oh wait, three:
Please don't give people tremendously bad ideas. Why are you saying things that are tremendously bad ideas?
Though I think some of the civility might have been edited in.

In retrospect it was a mistake to say "commonly" because any pet other than a dog or cat is uncommon almost by definition. It's also considered dangerous to take in any animal that's been even slightly feral. So if I have to make a good suggestion to balance out a bad one: be ready to have a battery of tests run on your new adoption if it works out dooly.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 16, 2010, 11:13:17 AM »

Look.  Classic.

Put the word "raccoon" in YouTube.

Notice the very first word it suggests is most likely to immediately follow it.

Detonator

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 16, 2010, 11:15:51 AM »

"raccoon attacks baby" is my favorite method of birth control.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 16, 2010, 11:22:37 AM »

It seems bad, but number two is "raccoon attacks baby," so maybe they're redeemable. Yeah, that's it!
They just need a little positive press, that's all. Less carpet eating and more begging for cream.

EDIT:
Det you damninator!

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: October 16, 2010, 12:28:17 PM »

Rabies is bad news, but people keep rats which are also a big rabies vector.

And the hantavirus. And meningitis. AND typhus. And my personal favorite, bubonic plague.

Detonator

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 16, 2010, 12:42:39 PM »

Rabies is bad news, but people keep rats which are also a big rabies vector. Hell, any mammal is a potential rabies vector.

People who keep rats don't go outside and catch wild rats (Pokemon joke goes here).  They go to pet stores and buy them, like any other pet.  That's really the thing here: animals that weren't born and raised in captivity usually should not be forced into captivity.

You don't have to be a veterinary expert to know these things, it's mostly common sense.  That's why we're calling you stupid.  Or maybe it's just me calling you stupid.  Either way.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 16, 2010, 01:17:41 PM »

Det, the stupid things you think are not the stupid things I say. Please stop conflating the two.
If Dooly's got the knackers and know-how to adopt a feral housecat, it was (drunk) feasible he's got the background to deal with other "small" mammals. I dunno what sorts of superpowers the dude has, and when I'm drunk everybody's superpowers are more awesome.
When I got less drunk I started wondering if anybody on the boards had or knew anybody who kept a raccoon as an "exotic pet". Maybe I'm just weird because a high school friend of mine's family kept two Newfs, three cats, three lizards (the iguana belonged to a different family), a small colony of hissing cockroaches, and probably some more I'm forgetting. The house smelled... interesting.
it's just me calling you stupid

Oh, I can deal with that. I should stop being such a paranoid defensive shit. But this isn't new or informative to anyone. Unlike this!!!

And the hantavirus. And meningitis. AND typhus. And my personal favorite, bubonic plague.

Pfft. Whatever. Penicillin is the paper to the black death's rock. Scissors is human hubris! Which certainly won't betray us this time, because we are so much wiser than we were before!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 16, 2010, 03:51:52 PM »

To pile on classic: The other animals he mentioned (rat, iguana, snake, etc.) all have one key difference over a raccoon. They can be comfortably accommodated in an aquarium or small cage. You can take them out once in a while, sure, but most of the time they stay in a home that is very small and very secure.

Try doing that with a raccoon.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: October 17, 2010, 03:08:36 PM »

Even a feral housecat is part of a species with millennia of domestication behind adjusting it to human cohabitation.  That's why it's called feral, and not wild - wild animals do not break the way domesticated species do.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2010, 04:12:12 PM »

vs

FIGHT

Cat & Gator

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »

what the

did that gator lose its balls in the war

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2010, 04:24:30 PM »

What the fuck were those people doing letting a kid get that close to two alligators?

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2010, 04:50:35 PM »

Florida.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2010, 04:52:07 PM »