Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help Me Be One Of Those Assholes Who's Obsessed With Old Videogames  (Read 1504 times)

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art

So, around this time last year I acquired a working NES and SNES for the first time! Now that I have those, I need some recommendations for ways to find old games/what old games to find! At the moment I only have one game for each (Metroid and Super Mario World) because I'm an idiot who didn't realize just how fucking good everything at that yard sale was, so I could really do with picking up more.

Besides, how expensive could twenty-year-old video games possibly be?
:???:

(also depending on how recent you consider "old" I have an N64, PS2, XBox, and Gameboy Advance, so I'm hooked up for lots of stuff)

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Help Me Be One Of Those Assholes Who's Obsessed With Old Videogames
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2010, 12:49:50 PM »

Secret of Mana, Earthworm Jim, Illusion of Gaia, Street Fighter II Turbo, Chrono Trigger, Lufia & the Fortress of Doom, and Secret of Evermore off the top of my head.

Edit: I forgot a big one. Earthbound.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2010, 01:01:40 PM »

Kirby Superstar, Yoshi's Island, Super Mario RPG and the Legend of the Seven Stars,  and Battletoads/Double Dragon.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2010, 01:58:51 PM »

Yeah, Kirby's Superstar is pretty damn good. I love the Great Cave Offensive part.

NES:

Rivercity Ransom
Jaws (this is more of a personal one for me. It's not a very good game but for a movie licensed NES game it actually sort of is.)
Kirby's Adventure
Ultimate Air Combat

SNES:

Super Punchout
Super Metroid
Castlevania 4
UN Squadron
Terranigma
Link to the Past
Wild Guns
Harvest Moon

Secret of Mana is only really fun for me if I have 2-3 people to actually play it with. That's how I always played it as a kid and playing it by myself now just makes it seem bland in some way.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 02:02:11 PM »

Super Metroid for SNES is good. Final Fantasy 5 and 6 are also good, although I think you can get those on DS now. I played FF5 with the ZSNES emulator, with the advantage that you can put a graphical filter over it to avoid the blockiness.

Burrito Al Pastor

• Galatea is mai waifu
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2010, 03:00:40 PM »

I think that, at this point, the majority of the really important jrpgs for the SNES have had very high-quality update/remakes - Dragon Quest IV and V had phenomenal remakes for DS, Chrono Trigger had a phenomenal enhanced port on DS, and Final Fantasy IV-VI had enhanced ports on GBA that were for the most part significant improvements.

Basically if you're going to be an asshole about old JRPGs on the SNES, you're going to have to be a pretentious asshole and argue that 1) the losses in sound quality FAR outweigh the positive impact of things like fixing the "shields don't do anything" bug in FFVI and 2) Ted Woolsey's translations were and are far superior to anything anybody else has ever done.

Now, I happen to like Ted Woolsey, but... in this age of Virtual Console and enhanced remakes and so on, I'm actually really uncertain there's that much on the SNES that's worth buying for SNES.

You can safely skip Secret of Mana. It's a terrible game which also happens to have three-player co-op, and three-player one-television co-op is so rare and so fundamentally good that Secret of Mana is often mistaken as a good game by extension.
I'm a heartbreaker... My name... Charles.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2010, 05:30:28 PM »

You can safely skip Secret of Mana. It's a terrible game which also happens to have three-player co-op, and three-player one-television co-op is so rare and so fundamentally good that Secret of Mana is often mistaken as a good game by extension.

BŁge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2010, 05:38:10 PM »

Three fantastic games you'll never own for the SNES
Lost Vikings
Demon's Crest
Lost Vikings II

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 07:19:12 PM »

Trying to avoid games that are on Virtual Console already...

NES: Crystalis, Duck Hunt (technically on VC but fuck you if you don't play with a real Zapper), Metal Storm, Goonies II, any and all of Capcom's Disney stuff (Chip'n'Dale, DuckTales, Darkwing Duck)

SNES: Super Bomberman, Lufia and Lufia II (though they'll probably end up on VC soon due to the revival), Sparkster (ditto), Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia, Metal Warriors

I'd second the sentiment about Secret of Mana but on an actual wiretap is probably the only enjoyable way to play.  Or we could do that drunken three-man LP we keep threatening.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2010, 11:20:37 PM »

Yeah, SoM is easy enough that three-player drunkenness is not only plausible but recommended!
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2010, 12:58:20 AM »

If you guys are willing to buy me a drink, I will play the boring one.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2010, 01:23:07 AM »

oh boy classic is going to play videogames with us and all we have to do is pay him
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2010, 04:32:44 PM »

...So how far are we going on the obscure-versus-obvious scale?  Because nobody's said, for example, Super Mario Bros. 3, but it should be kind of fucking implied.  (The Super Mario All-Stars or Game Boy Advance versions are perfectly acceptable.)  Ditto Contra.  The Legend of Zelda is a fantastic damn game but very much a product of its time; A Link to the Past is a better place to start.

Bubble Bobble and Bomberman are great old games, but you're better off checking out the recent enhanced remakes.

If you're going to go with an NES Castlevania, 3 is probably the one to start with.

Ninja Gaiden is a great but fucking brutal game.  Cheap deaths abound and it's rooted around rote memorization; if that's not your thing then stay away.

Mega Man 2 is the best Mega Man game.  3 is pretty great too.  Mega Man X on the SNES is a worthy successor.

It's been years since I played the original Star Fox, but I remember it being pretty good.  Star Fox 64 is one of the handful of N64 games I would recommend, along with Super Mario 64 and...well, that's probably it really; Goldeneye hasn't aged especially well and I've never understood why so many people think Ocarina of Time is the best Zelda game.  (But you might want to play it to see what all the fuss is about.)

On Game Boy, I'd recommend Dragon Warrior III (technically an NES game but the GBC version is far superior, except that it is missing the best town name ever for some reason) and Link's Awakening.

And on PC, Doom and Marathon are both open-source and you can play through them on pretty much any platform.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 05:02:08 PM »

Super Bomberman 1/2 for snes.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2010, 02:47:30 AM »

I've never understood why so many people think Ocarina of Time is the best Zelda game.

Friends and I had a crack at this recently. We came to the conclusion that OoT was sort of the "Mario 64" of, er, the Zelda series.

Remember when you first played Mario 64 and you were fucking blown away by the graphics and the worlds and just the sheer magical force of Mario in a 3D, living, breathing world? But then you thought "oh man, and this is just Mario. I can't wait until Zelda 64 comes out!"

And then it came out and you had Link in that same magical, 3D living blah blah world only it was Link, you had a sword and a bow and arrow and you weren't just some fatass plumber who can jump really well but an Elf with a Magic Sword and Magic Spells and EPIC EPIC EPIC.

The fact that the game is only mediocre is irrelevant.

Or, you didn't feel that way at all about Mario 64 or OoT. But I think a lot of people did. Hence the worship.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2010, 04:53:06 AM »

Mario 64 is very different from the 2D games, while OoT is basically a 3D remake of LttP.

As someone who only played OoT for the first time last year, I can definitely understand why people consider it the best, and don't know why anyone would consider it subpar if they were a fan of the series as a whole.  Even if it's just a 3D remake, it's a remake of a spectacular game.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2010, 08:47:29 AM »

It's a quality game on its own but I'm always pissed that it effectively turned the series away from tense sword battles and getting lost in dungeons and towards what would eventually become the replacement metagenre for Sierra/text adventures.

Basically Zelda went from an action to a puzzle game and it's OoT's fault.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2010, 10:39:23 AM »

...So how far are we going on the obscure-versus-obvious scale?
More like these obvious ones, please.
I mean, I like JRPGs and all, guys, but keep in mind that I'm buying for systems I've never played until now.

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2010, 03:04:45 PM »

It's a quality game on its own but I'm always pissed that it effectively turned the series away from tense sword battles and getting lost in dungeons and towards what would eventually become the replacement metagenre for Sierra/text adventures.

Basically Zelda went from an action to a puzzle game and it's OoT's fault.

Are you intentionally ignoring the long chain of replacing items that was Link's Awakening?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2010, 08:52:53 PM »

...So how far are we going on the obscure-versus-obvious scale?
More like these obvious ones, please.
I mean, I like JRPGs and all, guys, but keep in mind that I'm buying for systems I've never played until now.

If I were shave it down to two SNES JRPG's you must absolutely play on the SNES, it's Final Fantasy 6 (I'd give the GBA version the edge over FF3 for SNES) and Chrono Trigger (I prefer the SNES version because Woolsey's translation is a lot more fun).

Mario 64 is very different from the 2D games, while OoT is basically a 3D remake of LttP.

Maybe so, but going 3D crippled LttP's wonderful pacing.  It takes a hell of a lot longer to walk anywhere, and I HATE the combat system.
Pages: [1] 2