Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Home Furnishings  (Read 5211 times)

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
Home Furnishings
« on: July 23, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »

Right now I'm trying to furnish my apartment like a stylish motherfucker, which means I am gradually replacing my old storage and furniture with some slick minimalist stuff. Today I took advantage of a sale to get a new shelf, and assembled it myshelf before going to work. I had formerly been using eight stacking plastic organizers to keep all of my game controllers in check, which are now conveniently located in a single fabric drawer (sold seperately).

OLD AND BUSTED

NEW HOTNESS

I'm not really sure what else to put in it just yet. Obviously the consoles are just temporary, but they do look nice.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Home Furnishings
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 12:08:24 PM »

Does this mean you moved? :whoops:

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 05:07:36 PM »

Yes and no. I've been paying for my apartment, and most of my stuff is there, but the power/phone/internet aren't turned on and I can live there just yet because I need to move the bed, TV, and PS3.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 07:36:39 PM »

GODDAMMIT TEG, DITCH THE BED AND RUN :rage:

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 07:40:49 PM »

Srsly Ikea sales.  Worth any trip.

Ikea!

PS seconded mongrel, wtf

PPS If you are near a college town, couldn't recommend strongly enough cruising around town with a friend (who has a pick up truck) at the finals around the end of winter semester.

Lady Duke

• Shiny Ranger
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 07:41:17 PM »

Srsly Ikea sales.  Worth any trip.

Ikea!

Ikea is so great ;-;

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 08:13:53 PM »

garage sales can be good for furnishing too. I got a free set of shelves at a garage sale because I was willing to take them away

MarsDragon

• NO FUCKS LEFT TO GIVE
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 08:33:34 PM »

I know Target has inflatable mattresses from once when the one I was sleeping on sprung a leak and I had to get a new bed real quick.

On that note, it is possible to sleep on a pile of a beanbag, a couple blankets, and a pillow, but it kinda sucks. But if you need to get out fast... And, you know, hitting up Craigslist to see if anyone has a futon for free/cheap. Heck, hitting up Craigslist is a good way to furnish places in general.

Lobst

• Apatosaur Dreamer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Chili Con Comrades
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 10:45:34 PM »

Per teg's request: A healthy, budget-conscious alternative to being a stylish motherfucker is living in a household where old, crappy furniture is never thrown out!

I'm pretty sure this entertainment center predates me. Left slots were probably made to hold a VCR, a record player, a stereo, and LPs. Top-right was intended for cassettes, maybe; right-center was for a TV (with built-in swivel-stand), bottom-center was for VHS tapes. If you're a trendy consumer like me, however, all that tech is deprecated! I now use this to hold all my archival books, games, and CDs, with the TV-cubby holding some of the larger and more unwieldy entries in my collection.

In case you can't tell from the shape, this is a busted chairbase I use for resting my keyboard whenever I play a bitchin' drum setlist in Rock Band. The cover-crap-up-with-blankets technique is tried-and-true; I also have a couple of boxes I covered with a hand-knitted yarn blanket I used as a petting platform, back when this household had cats! (currently using that as a nighttable)

If you can get past the assorted fatness in Junpei TV's reflection, you'll notice I've repurposed a standalone record-player stand as a place to put a 19-inch JVC D-series televison (with the aid of some folded-up cardboard on which the bulk of the TV can rest). Underneath is a set of wires tangled enough to undoubtedly kill me, one day~

Behind it is an awful, awful painting done by my aunt in her artistic career's formative years! It serves the purpose of covering a basement chimney vent, which is probably filled to the brim with spiders. :(

If you're stuck for wall decor, consider taking anything bigger than an instruction manual that comes in your videogames' packaging and throwing it up on your wall! It may be "wahjah" (as elitist jerks like to put it) but I find it's better than empty space~

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2010, 05:47:59 AM »

Vvardenfell map :hi5:

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »

garage sales can be good for furnishing too. I got a free set of shelves at a garage sale because I was willing to take them away
But if you need to get out fast... And, you know, hitting up Craigslist to see if anyone has a futon for free/cheap. Heck, hitting up Craigslist is a good way to furnish places in general.
Whatever you do though, do not buy a second hand mattress. Bed bugs are a very real thing, and you do not want them.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 11:45:21 AM »

Cannot agree hard enough.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 11:56:09 AM »

Yeah I wouldn't consider a used bed, couch, chair, or anything you plan to sit or lay on or, god forbid, have your friends sit or lay on.  It's unsanitary.

Everything else is a block of wood though.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 12:06:49 PM »

You say that like nobody's ever jizzed on a block of wood.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 01:44:35 PM »

I'm saying your copy of Maus can probably stand taking a bath in jizz.  Not so much your asshole.

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2010, 04:59:22 PM »

Unless you're into that.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2010, 06:05:44 AM »

Guess who just bought a futon.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2010, 06:41:40 AM »

:hi5:

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2010, 10:47:13 AM »

RE: second hand beds

Foam Rubber and Memory Foam beds are not friendly to bedbugs and mites, and Waterbeds are generally something you should only buy used since new ones are generally overpriced. We bought our waterbed from an elderly lesbian couple off craigslist for 500 dollars - it was a 1300 dollar waterbed when they bought it three years earlier.

As far as anything except beds, don't pay for any other kind of furniture, seriously. If you're in an apartment complex, cruise the dumpsters every day. People move in and move out constantly, get new furniture constantly, and their old stuff all ends up out by the dumpster. We never paid for any furniture, and we had a very nice couch and table, among other things.

If you're poor, don't have any pride about dumpster diving. Seriously. Even a cheap couch from goodwill is going to run you fifty bucks, and that fifty bucks is enough to insure you have some protein on your table for dinner all month. (even if that protein is just chicken and a few different types of beans)

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2010, 10:53:58 AM »

If you're stuck for wall decor, consider taking anything bigger than an instruction manual that comes in your videogames' packaging and throwing it up on your wall! It may be "wahjah" (as elitist jerks like to put it) but I find it's better than empty space~

is that zunepass on the left monitor

i thought i was the only one!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4