Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: How Much Time Did You Spend Trying To Climb The Endless Staircase In Mario 64?  (Read 1165 times)

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art

Be honest.

(at least 15 minutes for me. Maybe longer. I was a stupid persistent kid...)

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile

It had to be two minutes at most before I realized something was up. Then I spent another 5 watching to see how it worked and if I could break the illusion by seeing the end of the staircase at either side while I ran up it.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

When Doo-Doo-Doo-DOO started looping I was pretty sure what was up.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com

I don't even remember the endless staircase.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile

I saw my friend do this before I had a 64 so I just always thought this was the way to do it. Super Mario 64 I Did This Glitch By An Acident

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Bullshit, it was specifically composed to never sound like it was looping, but instead going up in pitch forever.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Endless Stair Case - In the Platform

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Bullshit, it was specifically composed to never sound like it was looping, but instead going up in pitch forever.

Pretty sure it loops?  I mean if it keeps going up in pitch eventually you won't be able to hear it.

It's been a damn long time, but I'm pretty sure there's an audio cue that says "Hey, we're fucking with you."  Actually it might have just been the fact that none of the other staircases had that.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

It's an auditory illusion called a Shepard Tone in which it does loop but sounds like it's going up in pitch forever.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile

As I recall I realized it was a trick of some sort after about 15-30 seconds, just because of the way it was presented. 64 was a pretty tight game, and any stair case that you couldn't see the top of before about that long felt wrong to me, so I started trying to figure it out about then.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile

It's an auditory illusion called a Shepard Tone in which it does loop but sounds like it's going up in pitch forever.

What is ... what.
:ohshi~:
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile

So it loops.

Again, we're talking about the me of 15 years ago, but my first instinct when confronted with a staircase with no visible end and the addition of a distortive musical pattern would generally be to listen and make sure it's not repeating.  Or just listen and know that if it doesn't go over a certain pitch after a while, there's some sort of chicanery going on.  Gamers in the mid-90s were pretty familiar with the thematic vocabulary of a game designer attempting to troll.

Bleck

• Tailor Made Squid Unicycles
  • Tested
    • View Profile

I didn't know it even existed until about ten years after the fact. I was a kid who got every single goddamn star before going to fight Bowser.