Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: Simpsons  (Read 12812 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Simpsons
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2010, 11:57:53 AM »

It was probably declining long before that, but Maude's death always seemed like the real sharkjump moment for me.

It kind of cemented the idea that the show was starting to take itself too seriously, even though it was only trying to poke fun at shows that take themselves too seriously.

If you need to quantify it more objectively, though, just find the exact point at which it became the world's most popular sitcom and could no longer really be a parody of popular sitcoms without mostly targeting itself.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 08:57:42 PM »

I think what he's trying to say is that not seeing a Simpsons episode since 1991 isn't a big loss.

Oh yeah, there were no good episodes anywhere in seasons 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8...

Hell, for all the dross in season 21 it had a couple good ones.  But 3-8 are pretty much a straight shot of some of the best TV -- hell, some of the best COMEDY -- in history.

I re-watched the '96 Halloween special awhile back, and holy crap, there is not a single wasted line of dialogue in that thing.

And, let's be honest, he would have been Zapp Brannigan.

Well, and, you know, the main character on the fucking show is named after him.

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 09:21:50 PM »

Yeah, I've just read a lot of retarded statements about the Simpsons in this thread so I thank Thad for sort of setting the record straight here.

You aren't cool if you didn't watch the Simpsons during seasons 3-8, you are just some weird anomaly who hasn't seen some of the best American comedy writing ever and who doesn't understand why Conan O'brien (among many other great writers of course) really is a national treasure.

As for the shark jump, it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy before fucking Mod ever died. Wasn't that like, yesturday?

The Simpsons jumped the shark when Lisa said she was a vegetarian. There are funny aspects of that episode and many episodes after, but it was never as funny as it once was after that awkward attempt at making Lisa more than just Bart's bookish sibling.

I think the large concept change that really killed the show for me was Homer's transformation from lovable but often unfortunate and childlike dope to raving lunatic.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2010, 09:36:15 PM »

The Simpsons jumped the shark when Lisa said she was a vegetarian. There are funny aspects of that episode and many episodes after, but it was never as funny as it once was after that awkward attempt at making Lisa more than just Bart's bookish sibling.

Going to have to call bullshit on that one.  Yes, the Lisa episodes tend to be less laugh-out-loud funny and more cerebral, and yes, some of them frankly suck out loud.  This is the former (though it gave us "it's still good, it's still good!"), but not the latter.  Character development is not your enemy.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2010, 11:39:40 AM »

Yes, the Lisa episodes tend to be less laugh-out-loud funny and more cerebral, and yes, some of them frankly suck out loud.  This is the former

On further reflection, no, it isn't.  Bovine University, Independent Thought Alarms, rich in bunly goodness, why would it talk like a lamb?  It's a cerebral episode, sure, but it's also as straight-up funny as any other from the series' heyday.  Shit, I've referred to pigs as "a wonderful, magical animal" as recently as last week.  And two other guys said it at the same time.

Also, it was written by David S Cohen, later David X Cohen, co-creator of Futurama.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2010, 12:36:13 PM »

Split, and going to yammer more about Lisa, because why the hell not.

Lisa didn't really spontaneously grow a social conscience in season 7; it was front-and-center at least as early as Mr. Lisa Goes to Washington at the beginning of season 3 -- which also revolved around her love of animals and nature.

And Lisa the Vegetarian isn't actually the first reference to Lisa being a vegetarian -- bringing us back to the post that started this conversation, the future Lisa talks about being a vegetarian in Lisa's Wedding.

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2010, 01:16:38 PM »

It's a good episode but I still feel it's were the show jumped the shark because it was where the show decided it had to start to develop the characters a little more because they had ran out of situations to create episodes around. Now this was a good idea and if they had followed it up, then maybe the show would still be hilarious today, but they didn't. I can't think of one other major character who ever got character development on the show. It just stagnated after Lisa.

Has Bart changed at all, Marge, Maggie? I guess they at least tried to with Marge in a couple of cases at the end of the show's good years, but it feels like they've abandoned her.

Homer has changed, but not for the better, if anything they have made him a more and more one dimensional character as time has gone on, that's the whole problem with him actually. Homer was actually the only complex character in the first season of that series and they have ruined him after doing a really good job of developing him. Funnily enough I think his height as a character was definately the episode where he met his mother again where as the low point of his character was that dumb "recent" hippie episode where he was trying to be more like his mother.

Fuck, why are the new Futurama's so bad? Godamn cock tease.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2010, 01:24:44 PM »

I guess we just need to isolate when Homer went from being an honest but dim-witted dad to so wacky.

But yeah I've got my standard first 8 or so seasons on Box Set and early Homer is heart-warming AND hilarious.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2010, 02:13:01 PM »

I have never seen an episode of the Simpsons, ever.

Where do I start?

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2010, 02:13:33 PM »

But yeah I've got my standard first 8 or so seasons on Box Set and early Homer is heart-warming AND hilarious.

I made the mistake of buying the season 9 box set and being really let down when there were only about two episodes that I really liked. I should have known better -- all the best episodes were in the first edition of the Simpsons Episode Guide, which only covered up through season eight.

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »

Where do I start?

Season 3 if you want to jump into the best stuff.  Season 2 if you don't mind some rough patches going in.  It's all good, so you might as well watch it in order from there.
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2010, 02:53:48 PM »

As for when you can safely stop, I think that's a question we should leave up to science.

Rosencrantz

• Renegade Game Counselor
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2010, 09:48:37 PM »

Does anyone else quote the Simpsons far too much in everyday conversation? I try to avoid it at school or around strangers, but when hanging out with friends and family I feel like I always toss out a random reference or quote. One of my old friends is the same way, so whenever he visits town, our conversations become impenetrable and our wives just look at each other and shrug.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2010, 10:24:15 PM »

So you and your best friend love quoting the Simpsons at each other?

I don't see how that could possibly end tragically.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2010, 10:25:45 PM »

Where do I start?

The episode where Fry gets frozen and wakes up in the future. Go on from there. You don't HAVE to watch the movies, but at least skim them.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 06:02:00 AM »

I was thinking about telling Lottel to get fucked but honestly it's not that bad an idea
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 06:07:09 AM »

It's happening. It's become SO COOL to hate the simpsons that we're deciding they never had any good seasons!

EDIT:
No. I am not serious. Do I need to start using emoticons again? Is that how I will show how totally un- :serious: I am?

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 06:17:43 AM »

More because Futurama is amazing than because the Simpsons is bad.
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 09:01:12 AM »

It's happening. It's become SO COOL to hate the simpsons that we're deciding they never had any good seasons!

Yeah, that or we are saying that seasons 3-8 were when it was good... like we always have... like anyone intelligent who really thinks about it has...

What thread were you reading again?

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 09:30:14 AM »

Probably the one where Lottel said to completely ignore the Simpsons and just start with Futurama 4 posts ago that Classic was very obviously replying to.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6