Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: Simpsons  (Read 12858 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Simpsons
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2011, 06:50:36 PM »

You should check out Dead Homers Society, Thad.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »

Lately I've been watching a bunch of Simpsons episodes that I don't have on DVD, namely through Simpsons Television. Last night, out of curiosity, I tried a few episodes from the newer seasons that I had heard good things about: Eeny Meeny Maya Moe and Angry Dad The Movie.

Eeny Meeny Maya Moe: Actually kind of cute, but with loads of problems weighing it down. The B plot with Homer and Maggie went nowhere and seemed to rely heavily on the idea that babies acting like tough guys is still a thing apparently. Status Quo'd at the ending when Maya dumps Moe for something both incredibly minor and completely inconsistent with the way Moe's been acting throughout the entire episode. Also, some surprising animation mistakes, like a door disappearing from shot to shot and a jump cut being very awkwardly and badly used when a camera pan would have done. Characters forcibly inserted so the actor es a paycheque, notably with Bart, who has one line out of fucking nowhere.

Angry Dad The Movie: Another plot built on conflict that feel incredibly forced, mixed with references that -while technically competent- make me wonder if anyone on the show actually watched the movies they were parodying. Speaking of which, apparently the character designers either haven't heard of caricature or have never seen Ricky Gervais. I had to check Wikipedia just to find out who the fuck that was. Designing a Simpsons character is about more than slapping on an overbite and yellow skin.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2011, 01:03:21 PM »

Hey, this season had a lemon party reference and a child masturbation joke.  I'm all in favor of transgressive content, which is part of what made the show great back in the day - though admittedly the bar was a lot lower then.  Also going very meta is always fun.

It's not as solid as it once was, yeah, and it's the weakest of Fox's Sunday lineup.  But the show is consistently pretty funny, and that's enough to keep me watching it.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2011, 01:38:36 PM »

I'm just going to pretend that they introduced a character named Private Video.

He's a military man with a thing for amateur film.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2011, 02:12:03 PM »

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2011, 02:31:26 PM »

I see what you did there.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2011, 03:38:43 PM »

A fan could have reasonably dreamed back in '98 or something, but I think it's a bit too late to hope for anything.

Dreaming is easy.  In my dream world, Conan O'Brien got to keep The Tonight Show after killing both Jay Leno and Jimmy Fallon in single combat, but walked away to return to The Simpsons.  He has since put out the best season in a decade, and will be leaving to run his Mr. Burns spinoff just as soon as Brad Bird's schedule clears and he can take over as head writer on Simpsons.  And the finale was amazing -- who'd have thought they'd write a whole episode around Phil Hartman butting heads with Albert Brooks?  And it's great that Hartman can still put in an episode or two every year, even with his commitments on Futurama and Pee-Wee's Playhouse.

...as for things to hope for in real life?  I hope they continue to use celebrities competently instead of just as "Hey look, a celebrity!" derailments.

Some good examples of recent celebrity cameos: Werner Herzog was wonderful as the drug rep who is also apparently a grown-up Augustus Gloop.  Joey Kramer's apperance among Edna's cavalcade of exes was good; yes, it was a "Hey look, a celebrity!" gag, but it played well even as a random reference (which of course longtime fans know it wasn't).

Kristen Schaal's appearance the other week -- well, in theory it's what a celebrity guest appearance should be, in that it's not all about the celebrity but that she's just playing a character who's part of the story.  In practice, however, she was totally underutilized; she's possibly the funniest person on TV and CERTAINLY the funniest person in Fox's animation lineup, and here she did a totally bland read of a role that could have been played by absolutely anyone.

But it was still better than "HEY LOOK BRITNEY SPEARS!"

Okay, so competent celebrity guest appearances.  I'd also argue for fewer pop culture references in general (though they mercifully spent much less time on Jersey Shore than I would have expected).  And there needs to be a happy medium between doing shit they've already done before ("wedding after wedding after wedding") and trying too hard to come up with new and outlandish plots (truffle hunting?).  As the AV Club recently pointed out, people may gripe about Simpsons reusing plots, but back in the show's golden period you had Lisa's Pony one week and Saturdays of Thunder the next and they have pretty much the exact same plot except one features Lisa and the other features Bart, and they're still both classics.  It's simple -- think about what defines the characters and work from there; if it's good it'll work even if we've seen it a hundred times before.

And taking the show back to a three-act structure would be a good idea too.  The current four-act structure really just leaves too many plots with not enough time for any of them to be satisfying.

it's the weakest of Fox's Sunday lineup.

Pretending The Cleveland Show doesn't exist won't make it go away.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2011, 05:01:00 PM »

And it's great that Hartman can still put in an episode or two every year, even with his commitments on Futurama and Pee-Wee's Playhouse.
Not to mention that live-action Troy McLure movie they let him do!

seriously though I'm not enjoying these new episodes

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2011, 07:49:05 PM »

So here's a topic: favorite Simpsons celebrity guests.

Dustin Hoffman
Michael Jackson
Harvey Fierstein
Danny deVito
Steve Martin
Jerry Lewis
Buzz Aldrin
Leonard Nimoy
Spinal Tap
the baseball all-stars in Homer at the Bat
all the celebrities in Krusty Gets Kancelled
the rockstars in Homerpalooza
Betty White
Paul and Linda McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr
The Ramones
Jon Lovitz
Alan Moore, Dan Clowes, and Art Spiegelman
Adam West and Linda Ronstadt
Stephen Hawking
Barry White
Johnny Cash

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2011, 08:26:18 PM »

Does Albert Brooks count?

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2011, 08:38:17 PM »

Throwing my hat in for Christopher Walken.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2011, 09:06:57 PM »

So here's a topic: favorite Simpsons celebrity guests.

Dustin Hoffman
Michael Jackson
Harvey Fierstein
Danny deVito
Steve Martin
Jerry Lewis
Buzz Aldrin
Leonard Nimoy
Spinal Tap
the baseball all-stars in Homer at the Bat
all the celebrities in Krusty Gets Kancelled
the rockstars in Homerpalooza
Betty White
Paul and Linda McCartney, George Harrison, and Ringo Starr
The Ramones
Jon Lovitz
Alan Moore, Dan Clowes, and Art Spiegelman
Adam West and Linda Ronstadt
Stephen Hawking
Barry White
Johnny Cash

I TOO PICK ALL OF THE GOOD ONES
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2011, 04:44:28 AM »

I think Leonard Nimoy's appearance makes me laugh the most every time. Just the way he says "Didn't I?" completely fucking kills me.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2011, 11:26:51 PM »

Does Albert Brooks count?

Well, I'd just mentioned him and Hartman in my previous post, so I figured even if they count I've already acknowledged them.

Throwing my hat in for Christopher Walken.

To the best of my knowledge the real Christopher Walken has not been on the show.  Jay Mohr impersonated him in the scene where he read Goodnight Moon and frightened small children.

I think Leonard Nimoy's appearance makes me laugh the most every time. Just the way he says "Didn't I?" completely fucking kills me.

His other appearance isn't half-bad either.  "The answer...is no."

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2011, 11:39:52 PM »

To the best of my knowledge the real Christopher Walken has not been on the show.  Jay Mohr impersonated him in the scene where he read Goodnight Moon and frightened small children.
That's the most depressing thing I've heard all week (though it was a really good impersonation!). Every day at work I look forward to when the Weapon of Choice video plays on our 33'x60' HD LED TV.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #75 on: May 28, 2011, 12:00:34 AM »

Yeah, it would have been neat if it had really been Walken.  Would have been even better if they'd had the real Maya Angelou.

Stephen King, Tom Wolfe, John Updike, and Amy Tan all played themselves, though.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible Round Eye Animation
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2011, 05:07:57 PM »

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Re: Horrible Round Eye Animation
« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2011, 08:27:48 PM »

...the fact that Envy is the voice of reason in the past two pages this thread just makes me sad.

I think this is all being drama'd up a bit.  It's clearly not "We don't need you guys, we're gonna get new actors from Mexico!"  Fox is probably doing open casting to scare the VAs into doing it for less money.  Ever see how free agent negotiations in sports work?

Or how Fox did EXACTLY THE SAME THING with The Simpsons more than 10 years ago?

Everyone but Envy and Fortinbras is a gullible Chicken Little who needs to learn about how contract negotiations work.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2011, 08:52:28 PM »

Well there's a couple things that makes it more plausible this decade.  First is the fact that the series is just kind of coasting along until the inevitable day that one of those VAs dies or quits anyway, and second is the fact that, really, what Fox represents these days is pretty much the total eradication of everything that makes The Simpsons.

You're right about contract negotiations, but I get the feeling that the series is going to wrap up soon one way or another, and it's hard to say it's not yet time.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »

It's still making money hand-over-fist, it's just less than it used to.  Hell, two weeks ago the rumor was they were considering an all-Simpsons cable channel.

Sure, it's more likely they REALLY MEAN IT THIS TIME than the last three or four times.  That doesn't mean it's ACTUALLY likely.

One of many tipoffs that the whole thing is nonsense is the part of the story where they claim it'll only have one more season anyway, even if they reach a deal.  Stopping at 24?  Does that sound right to anybody?  JUST SHY of the 25th-anniversary marketing blitz?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6