Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I went out to eat today!  (Read 3101 times)

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
I went out to eat today!
« on: September 02, 2010, 08:52:03 AM »

I figure we need a thread where we discuss eating in actual restaraunts and other establishments, as they really don't fit the theme in What's Cooking. If youse guys want to contribute, feel free to follow my formula, or don't. Whatever.

So, the lady and I went out grocery shopping this morning and hit up a local spot for lunch, they're pretty popular and I've heard good things, but they close early so we've never been.

Box Car BBQ (Sapulpa, OK)

So this place is basically a little hole in the wall. It's an old truck stop or gas station or something off RT-66, about 20-30 minutes west of Tulsa. Their prices are about on par with most BBQ joints in Oklahoma - they charge per meat, either by weight or in combo dinners, and it's about ten bucks for a pound of meat or for a combo meal big enough to feed one person. They also have the standard assortment of meats - Brisket, Pork Butt, (chopped or sliced, not pulled - that's a st louis thing) Hot Links, Polish Sausage, Ribs and Bologna. Everything's served smoked and dry, the way it should be.

We picked up a pound of ribs and another pound of chopped meat ; half a pound of brisket, half a pound of pork, and ate at home as there wasn't much sitting room in the restaurant. (only four tables and they were filling up fast) The meats came in two styrofoam containers, marked with their contents, and a large tub of BBQ sauce. The meat was... underwhelming, to be honest. Pretty bland and overcooked. I get that smoking isn't an exact science, given that good BBQ takes many hours to cook, but the pork and the brisket were bone dry. The Ribs were moist and had a a perfect smoke ring, but they weren't very flavorful, either. I suspect the pitmaster does not use any kind of rub or seasoning on the meat. Unfortunate.

I'd have written this off as a waste of money altogether, but then we tried the sauce, which is just God Damn Incredible. We had a big bag of Kaiser rolls, and used those and the sauce to make chopped meat sandwiches and dipped the ribs in the BBQ sauce as we ate. Pretty great meal with the addition of the sauce but as my wife put it, "good BBQ should stand on it's own." I hate to be a purist, but BBQ should be about the seasoning, the smoke, and the meat itself, not the sauce. Leaving your meat unseasoned so you can really taste the sauce is interesting in theory, but it's not what I expect from southwest BBQ. Our next BBQ trip will probably be to Wrangler's Drive-Thru in Tulsa or Big Daddy's in Jenks, as I think this place is just thoroughly overrated.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I went out to eat today!
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 08:59:49 AM »

the new feiry kfc burger is shit and I'm not getting it again
"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 09:33:10 AM »

I don't even know if we have those here. Anything spicy at KFC is shit, though, as a rule.

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 10:03:45 AM »

"And it is because they have fallen prey to a weakened, feminized version of Christianity that is only about softer virtues such as compassion and not in any part about the muscular Christian virtues of individual responsibility and accountability."

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 10:56:00 AM »

I looked all over that list and didn't see fried Kangaroo anywhere. I'm disappointed, Frocto.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »

This is semi-spicy and fucking delicious, however.

I see they've also given up on trying to pronounce 'Canyon' correctly.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 01:02:33 PM »

Or cajun maybe.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2010, 01:39:08 PM »

Step raght up fer awr nyoo Kayin Grell.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 05:56:34 PM »

This is semi-spicy and fucking delicious, however.

So, in Australia, you call Chicken Sandwiches... 'Burgers'.

What a strange, backward people you are.

the KFC Roller looks fucking delicious, though.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 06:01:16 PM »

I don't suppose pointing out that we already have a dining-out topic will do anything. Well, except make me a target for passive-aggressive mockery.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 06:06:08 PM »

So, in Australia, you call Chicken Sandwiches... 'Burgers'.

Fact: Sometimes I call any meat (or meat-substitute!) smashed in a kaiser roll a burger. Make of that what you will.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 10:18:27 PM »

I don't suppose pointing out that we already have a dining-out topic will do anything. Well, except make me a target for passive-aggressive mockery.

It has been a full year since that thread has been posted in.

Misha

• Pro-Choice
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 10:24:41 PM »

I don't know why there is an obsession with necroing ancient megathreads instead of creating new ones. it's not like we have a limited supply of threads that we need to husband very carefully

Frocto

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 11:04:28 PM »

the KFC Roller looks fucking delicious, though.

I described it to my friends as "A fat man pushing his fat rolls into my mouth."

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »

Outback Steakhouse and Red Robin are my frequent "fuck money and fuck healthy eating" stations of choice.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 11:50:05 PM »

I don't do a lot of chain eating anymore; We live twenty minutes out of Tulsa, and Tulsa's got a lot of small businesses that deal in a lot of tasty food. Red Robin's got awesome burgers, but we can get better burgers, cheaper at any of the local burger stands in town. Outback's got awesome steak, but we can go to Spudder's or Avalon or Jamil's or drive an hour out to the Cattleman's in Tulsa and, again, get better, cheaper.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 02:12:26 AM »

I live out in west bumfuck Oregon. My options are: A cafe with Fox News on 24/7 and about as much care put into the food, and chains.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 04, 2010, 05:16:52 AM »

Went out for lunch yesterday afternoon.

Selena's Steakhouse (Sapulpa OK)

The name's misleading, this place is actually a country diner, though their cook/owner is a bit on the fancy side. We usually don't go to Selena's, as there's another diner in town that has better prices which is closer to home, but they've got an awesome lunch special that we've been wanting to try. Fish & Chips for $4.29. Portions were big - three beer-battered cod filets, a huge plate of fries, and two pieces of garlic toast. Surprisingly, they had Malt Vinegar (most diners don't) but it was either watered down, or apple cider vinegar in a malt vinegar bottle. Disappointing - we'll bring our own next time. I'm getting to the point where I'm just going to start keeping a bottle of London Pub in my car.

The only real problem I had with the meal was that the fries were all underdone - cooked in oil that was just probably not hot enough. Floppy, starchy fries aren't great. Thankfully, the fish was perfect - super crisp, and neither underdone or overdone. Just cooked perfectly throughout. At that price I'd definately come back again. It's cheaper than getting dinner at Long John Silvers, and obviously much higher quality and much larger portions.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 05:36:02 PM »

taco bell has brought back the frito burrito

now it is made with flamin' hot fritos

they are 99 cents

i am now 200000 lbs
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2010, 09:24:11 PM »

frito burrito

Good God, tell me that isn't what I think it sounds like.
Pages: [1] 2 3