Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Civilization V  (Read 3765 times)

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization V
« Reply #40 on: March 21, 2012, 10:13:45 PM »

TO EVERYONE HAVING PROBLEMS WITH SLOWDOWN LATEGAME:

You know those fancy dancy moving avatars whenever you chat with other countries? When the AI talks to itself, it renders those.

That's right, when AI Washington is talking to AI Nobunaga about how hard they want to stab you in the back, the computer is going through all the motions to fully render that shit, and then immediately discards this.

So basically in late game it tries to do this 12 times at once and whoop, crash.

Turn down this feature to where it's just talking heads and you'll notice less crashes and less slowdown.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2012, 03:09:26 AM »

Both Starr and I finally picked this up pretty recently during the 75% off sale. Got game of the year edition, so I have most (but not all, I think?) of the DLC. I want to putter around in single-player for a while.

Any chance of an update to the above list? Any recommendations for good social policy combos or early ball-busting strategies?

Generally I lean towards tech victories in Civ games, but sometimes conquer everything (with a very occasional cultural victory). I like being way ahead of everybody scientifically and focusing on quality (better units, fully upgraded tiles & cities). I do like having some empire-space though and generally wind up conquering my starting continent. So, a pretty fucking conventional strategy, really.

If you use the pretty excellent City State Diplomacy Mod, Alexander is the best leader in the game by such a wide degree it's ridiculous. Somebody declares war on you? Just have a token defense to wall them off while your eleven best friends beat the ever loving shit out of him. Also as you make new friends and get new food/tech/culture bonuses and start doubling them with the Diplomacy tree, you will easily get a thousand point lead.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 07:12:45 AM »

Hey, that looks pretty awe... wait, can't use mods in multiplayer at all!

Also my Internet needs to get hooked up already I am in game withdrawal twitches all over. Yes, ALL OVER.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2012, 07:24:18 AM »

"Oh look, it's 7 am. FUCK. I knew buying this was a bad idea." 

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile