Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Marketing Eversion - CONTAINS SPOILERS ABOUT EVERSION  (Read 1149 times)

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Marketing Eversion - CONTAINS SPOILERS ABOUT EVERSION
« on: September 30, 2010, 09:07:45 PM »

I put the strongest of known emotions before evert, signifying it's a harder game, simultaneously making it seem important to get emotional over - the third, unmentioned option is to simply not give a darn about eversion, but by excluding it we establish a sense of importance.

The font is Hawaii Lover from dafont.com, and a license is prooooobably required to use it though I haven't checked. We wouldn't be able to use it in any kind of ad without one if so.

The color palette was inspired by my own playthroughs of the game. It was inspired by the way it feels the first time Zee Tee everts out of the blue sky zones and into the first layers of the red zones. There is a gradient denoting something special about Zee Tee and where he is standing, but it is subtle to avoid it being other than something a prior player would catch. The effect is one of drama and a callback to those who may have played it once and wish to again now that it's on steam.

Marketing and product research:

Eversion is rather a gimmicky game, and one of the coolest moments of it is discovering everting and its effect on the world. I don't think anyone actually figured it out on their own, and if they did, it was not typical. The kind of viral spread this necessitates is what generates new subscribers. I talked to a friend. He told me I have to play this one game, but wouldn't tell me why. I played it and it was awesome. There's this part where the princess at the end turns into a monster, and if you collect all the gems, so do you, and you live happily ever after as unspeakable lovebird horrors. I wouldn't have played except he told me how to do this one thing. You should also play it, but if you get stuck let me know and I'll tell you how to evert.

Or you could just read the instructions and pay attention.

There is nothing that I can add. This product should sell very well considering its demographic and quality. I feel the direction of this advertisement campaign is positive if not perfect thus-far.
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

Zaratustra

• what
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
Re: Marketing Eversion - CONTAINS SPOILERS ABOUT EVERSION
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 09:17:34 PM »

Thanks for the help, but I do have banners and such for eversion.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »

Are you evoking the Virtual Boy on purpose or...?

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2010, 10:35:05 PM »

Guild, if you want to advertise Eversion HD, you might want to avoid using the non-HD version sprites.

Other notes/suggestions:
-The anti-aliasing on the Steam logo looks really bad and the logo itself looks pasted on.  Notice how Zara's banner has the colors of the Steam logo fit the rest of the banner.  Also, the way it overlaps the black border makes it look a bit off-center.
-The font for the "HD" doesn't match the rest of the logo (blocky instead of smooth).  Maybe leave it out altogether?
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 12:15:31 PM »

Guild, if you want to advertise Eversion HD, you might want to avoid using the non-HD version sprites.

Why? (i kid; have not bought it, can't screencap it)

Other notes/suggestions:
-The anti-aliasing on the Steam logo looks really bad and the logo itself looks pasted on.  Notice how Zara's banner has the colors of the Steam logo fit the rest of the banner.  Also, the way it overlaps the black border makes it look a bit off-center.

I agree. This is only a comp.

-The font for the "HD" doesn't match the rest of the logo (blocky instead of smooth).  Maybe leave it out altogether?

It's important that HD look slab sans serif that way - HD has been marketed thus: That font is specifically designed to make someone who owns an HD television stop and stare for a split second. Changing it would be a bad idea. It's probably 50% of zara's sales pull in terms of a visual advertisement.

On the other hand, I threw it on there as a last-minute addition after doing some last minute research to find out if zara had already marketed, found out he had and copied almost exactly his existing typography for both Eversion and HD and even stole the Steam logo from his banners.

In an actual final version, the Steam and HD logo could be replaced with a high-resolution version and then the entire layout would be resampled to a screen resolution of 72 after all final changes.

This is also a marketing strategy: Pixels are nostalgic. It's the reason HD appears just that way wherever you see it.

I got from Lottel that the font 'sucks.' I feel that one, since I think grunge (and especially dafont) is a lazy man's option, but since I'm working for free on this one, I'm willing to use the free stuff. I won't change the font unless more people complain and have legitimate arguments (one of which might be it just looks super duper ugly).
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:17:51 PM »

Thanks for the help, but I do have banners and such for eversion.

This is awesome. Very very good stuff zar. I love how disturbing it is. "Why am I seeing the word 'cheerful' in liver-blood red?" Very nice.

Why if you have this great campaign banner do you ahve so many other versions of banners on your site and elsewhere (i hope) from what I've seen? Do you have plans to make a larger version one?