Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 77

Author Topic: 2012: The Mayans Warned Us Of Stupid Elections  (Read 82319 times)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: 2012: The Mayans Warned Us Of Stupid Elections
« Reply #1300 on: October 11, 2012, 10:20:22 PM »

So I just watched some select portions of this debate, and it really was all Biden could do not to start yelling at Ryan. Something to the effect of "SERIOUSLY! WHAT IN THE FUCK ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT?". Also several sick burns on Romney's new platform per interview habit.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: October 12, 2012, 12:59:25 AM »

Oh wow. Watching it right now. I'm paraphrasing the following exchange but that's the gist of it:

Moderator: "I spoke to a veteran who told me he's sick of the tone of the campaign and all the attack ads. What's your take on that?"
Biden: "Clearly things have been said by certain parties on both sides which we're all ashamed of, and it's unfortunate."
Ryan: "OBAMA STRING OF BROKEN PROMISES INCREASING DEBT AMIRITE"

:hurr:

EDIT:

Moderator: "What do you bring to the table, specifically, as a man, that no one else could do in this position but you?"
Ryan: "Honesty, huh... We need someone who, when they say they're gonna do something, they go and do it."

BREAKING NEWS, PAUL RYAN ONLY MAN IN AMERICA WHO DOES THE STUFF HE SAYS HE'S GONNA DO

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1302 on: October 12, 2012, 07:20:44 AM »

...Ryan compared himself to Jack Kennedy.

A Republican Vice Presidential candidate.  In the Vice Presidential debate.  Compared himself to Jack Kennedy.

:hurr:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: October 12, 2012, 08:00:17 AM »

Why didn't Biden call him on that?!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1304 on: October 12, 2012, 08:06:04 AM »

Well, he didn't say "Sir, you're no Jack Kennedy," but he DID incredulously respond "So you're Jack Kennedy now?"

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: October 12, 2012, 08:15:14 AM »

Maybe Ryan really is a masochist.(Warning: probably NSFW. Or humanity.)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1306 on: October 12, 2012, 09:35:49 AM »

via (lots more there)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: October 12, 2012, 09:38:15 AM »

Maybe Ryan really is a masochist.(Warning: probably NSFW. Or humanity.)
"Too much bondage! Not enough discipline!"

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1308 on: October 12, 2012, 09:47:48 AM »

You know, the whole "I'm fit, look at meeeeeeeeeeeee" thing of Ryan's has really clicked for me.

See, we've been saying for years now that longstanding social conventions of rich "fatcats" and rail-thin poor are being inverted, with fat being the common denominator for poverty and fitness sitting with wealth. In today's world, fitness requires (I'm generalizing here), more expensive food, and plenty of extra time (both to exercise and to properly consume your food/make decisions about what food to purchase - and time has now become the ultimate luxury and status symbol).

Ryan really marks the first time that the new visual/social convention is being used a political code, just as much as phrases like "voter registration". When Ryan says "look at me, I'm fit and healthy!" He's not just saying he's fit, he is saying he's wealthy, that he's a man of the rich and for the rich. It's a very subtle message (partially because it's so new).

I mean maybe there have been other people who've used it, but Ryan's easily the most prominent example so far.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: October 12, 2012, 12:09:44 PM »

Curls are for chumps. If Ryan wants to to impress me, he should do some deadlifts.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1310 on: October 15, 2012, 01:59:41 PM »

Both campaigns complained to the Commission on Presidential Debates after Crowley publicly said she intends to push the candidates if they don't answer questions from the audience at Hofstra University to her satisfaction.

"I think it's always best when these guys engage with each other, but that doesn't mean I won't engage with them if that gets us closer to what we need," she told The Huffington Post last week.

That pledge clashes with the Memorandum of Understanding worked out between the two presidential campaigns. The secret "MOU," which was obtained and posted by Time's Mark Halperin, says that "the moderator will not ask follow-up questions or comment on either the questions asked by the audience or the answers of the candidates during the debate or otherwise intervene in the debate except to acknowledge the questioners from the audience or enforce the time limits, and invite candidate comments during the two-minute response period."

Surprised face.

Here's hoping she sticks to her guns.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: October 15, 2012, 02:11:11 PM »

Here's the full MOU, if you're interested.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: October 16, 2012, 10:33:15 AM »

http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-72912891/

Ryan barges into a soup kitchen without permission, pretends to be working for the cameras, and potentially fucks up the place's funding just by being there.

I should be outraged or at least disappointed but, honestly, it's just too damned funny.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: October 16, 2012, 10:54:19 AM »

Don't forget applying industrial soap directly to sponges and already-clean pots, requiring them all to be repeatedly re-washed lest they poison anyone who eats out of them.  Because you're supposed to add a little of that stuff to a sink full of water, not pour it directly on there.

Really, it's entirely on-message.  Make charity work a lot harder, kill some poor people, and destroy funding for social programs.  That's exactly Ryan's thing.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: October 16, 2012, 11:35:14 AM »

George W. Bush endorses Mitt Romney

Bush is "confident Mitt Romney is going to be a great president for America."

Ryan barges into a soup kitchen without permission, pretends to be working for the cameras, and potentially fucks up the place's funding just by being there.

I should be outraged or at least disappointed but, honestly, it's just too damned funny.

I find it funny that they thought the volunteers were just going to roll over for it and support the Romney campaign. I'd like to know who planned that and didn't see this as at least a possible outcome.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: October 16, 2012, 12:01:06 PM »

Honestly I'm sort of baffled as to why Ryan would WANT a photo of himself working a soup kitchen anyway.  For an objectivist it's about the same as being photographed performing a Satanic rite.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: October 16, 2012, 12:08:00 PM »

"Here's me pretending to help a place I plan to remove the funding for"

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: October 16, 2012, 12:13:00 PM »

Maybe he was intentionally doing it poorly as a way to convince himself he's faking it.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1318 on: October 16, 2012, 12:45:10 PM »

George W. Bush endorses Mitt Romney

Bush is "confident Mitt Romney is going to be a great president for America."

Oh man he's got Perot's endorsement too!

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: October 16, 2012, 01:12:16 PM »

Paul Ryan strikes me as a really mean guy. They get him in interviews and catch him off guard and he goes from being cheery and approachable little Paul to being a big prick really fast, and I can't help but think from things like this that that's his real persona - he's just an uncaring, mean little asshole, possibly somewhat sociopathic, and what we see on TV is all part of the huge puppet show he puts on to convince the world that they're not electing the kind of guy who thinks A Modest Proposal wasn't satire.
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 63 64 65 [66] 67 68 69 70 71 ... 77