Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77

Author Topic: 2012: The Mayans Warned Us Of Stupid Elections  (Read 82307 times)

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: 2012: The Mayans Warned Us Of Stupid Elections
« Reply #1500 on: November 11, 2012, 09:21:36 PM »

That's pretty awful. People are so dumb that they would write in stupid shit instead of at least voting for the guy running against Paul Broun.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1501 on: November 11, 2012, 09:25:18 PM »

Technically North Carolina was a swing state, but only in the same sense Wisconsin was, really.

Weeeeeell, Wisconsin has 10 electoral votes and Obama won by 6.7 points; North Carolina has 15 electoral votes and Romney won by 2.2 points.

Where a swing-state is defined as a state that's close and has a significant number of electoral votes, NC beats Wisconsin on both counts.  I would certainly count it.

A one-hitter's still pretty good.

And there's no mandate.
By the same standards the media used to frame the Bush re-election, this is a mandate.

That's what I said.

From everything I've seen outside of the obscurer republican strategists, everybody including (esp) Karl Rove seems to agree that the only reason Mitt lost was because he wasn't conservative enough and stayed on defense too much. Considering these two things are the opposite of what is true, barring a mass epiphany it looks like we will see a repeat of their 2012 performance in 2016, but maybe with a token minority as their guy. Rubio seems likely. He's Cuban, and all hispanics like all other hispanics, right? Automatically!

If Karl Rove and Fox News were in charge of who got nominated, it wouldn't have been Romney in the first damn place.

Don't get me wrong, they're influential -- they're just not as in-control as they think they are.

It could happen.  But Rove's begun to rack up quite the record for saying shit that turns out to be laughably wrong.

I really do love "Is that math you just use because you're a Republican, to make yourself feel better?"  It's even better if you think of it as a six-years-later retort to "You're entitled to your math, and I'm entitled to THE math."

The GOP formula for voters seems to be "only white people are smart" and "of smart people, only men matter". The funny thing is, if they nominate Rubio I imagine a lot of their baked in white voterbase will vote for a white Democrat over "that damn Mexican". I seriously doubt they're going to manage 60% of the white vote again without a black guy as the other choice.

They'll line up behind the Cuban just like they lined up behind the Mormon.  Especially if Clinton is the nominee.  (I don't think she will be, but I also don't know of anybody likelier.  Same goes for him, I guess.)

That's pretty awful. People are so dumb that they would write in stupid shit instead of at least voting for the guy running against Paul Broun.

Not sure if joking
:oic:
or doesn't know Broun was running unopposed

patito

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1502 on: November 11, 2012, 09:26:54 PM »

I had no idea he was unopposed, that is a million times more awful. Stupid shit is entirely justified in that case.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1503 on: November 11, 2012, 09:31:06 PM »

I'd like to say "the good news is the Democrats won't make that mistake a second time", buuuuut my local Democratic Party just failed to run a candidate for County Attorney for a second consecutive fucking election, and I'm not exactly filled with hope that Georgia's Dems have their shit together any more than ours.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1504 on: November 11, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »

4000 of them voted for Darwin.  SOMEBODY over there is coordinated.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1505 on: November 11, 2012, 10:07:47 PM »

I can't help but feel like a coordinated effort for an actual write-in candidate might have been a better use of everybody's time.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1506 on: November 12, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »

Depends on the rules in the state.

In Arizona write-in candidates don't count unless they've actually been accepted as candidates by the recorder's office.  Basically it's for people who don't meet the criteria to be on the ballot but still file paperwork in time for the deadline.

If Georgia's the same, then yeah writing in Batman is about as effective as writing in some real guy's name.

Sharkey

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1507 on: November 13, 2012, 03:38:36 AM »

Oh man, that Texas secession petition got enough signatures to warrant a response. Looking forward to that.

We don't really need to begin exploring how eating-shit-and-barking-at-the-moon fucking crazy that is. But still, I can't help fantasizing about it in an unhealthy "They will look up and shout 'save us' and I will whisper 'no'" sort of way. And hey, if they left and we got Puerto Rico we wouldn't even have to change the flag.

Actually, I'm pretty tempted to add my signature. Can't help wondering what the breakdown is between infantile Texas vs. people who just don't like Texas very much.

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1508 on: November 13, 2012, 05:36:25 AM »

If secession ever happened, it wouldn't take too long for me to get out of the state.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1509 on: November 13, 2012, 06:41:45 AM »

My district's finally been called for Sinema (the Democrat); District 1's been called for Ann Kirkpatrick (the Dem who was elected in 2008 but lost in 2010).  District 2 is still too close to call, but another Democrat, Ron Barber, is leading there.

Meanwhile, Jan Brewer actually appears to be serious about trying to run for a third term, which she believes is allowed under the Arizona Constitution because she is very very stupid.

I've said before that I thought she was really going to try it, because it explains her behavior over the past two years better than any other possible excuse I've heard.  She keeps taking weird little not-choosing-a-side stances on things, like the suit over the medical marijuana bill that was thrown out because she literally would not say whether she supported or opposed it but she was suing the federal government anyway.  If she weren't worried about backlash from voters, she'd just come right out and say she disagreed with the thing they had passed; instead she behaved like somebody worried about reelection (who is also very very stupid).

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #1510 on: November 14, 2012, 07:39:31 AM »

Romney's son already had a fund set up with all of his and his dad's friends for when he was president:

http://seattletimes.com/html/opinion/2019582123_harropcolumntaggxml.html?prmid=obinsource

Tefari

• You wanna get an eight ball and go murder some Ruskies?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1511 on: November 14, 2012, 11:20:11 AM »

I'd like to say "the good news is the Democrats won't make that mistake a second time", buuuuut my local Democratic Party just failed to run a candidate for County Attorney for a second consecutive fucking election, and I'm not exactly filled with hope that Georgia's Dems have their shit together any more than ours.

Don't worry, we didn't. On my ballot out of...7 or 8 positions there were precisely two republicans not running unopposed, not counting the presidential election.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1513 on: November 14, 2012, 06:49:24 PM »

Well, speaking figuratively, he's right, but he's also walking face-first into the issue of who he was figuratively giving "gifts" to.  Also, who he was probably literally giving gifts to.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #1514 on: November 18, 2012, 10:40:58 PM »

Lemons has a pretty good rundown of what's just happened in Arizona, as something of a microcosm of the nation as a whole: most of the crazy incumbents are still around (most notably Sheriff Joe, damn his eyes), but there's an incremental shift to the left.  He's noted the potential for actually passing comprehensive immigration reform, since Republicans are starting to notice this whole losing-elections-because-they-hate-Mexicans thing.

I'm not holding my breath.  Odds are certainly better now than two years ago, but I'm not sure they're better than four years ago, or eight years ago.

Honestly, while I have my criticisms of Bush's immigration policy, it's about the only thing about his presidency I'm really inclined to praise.

Unfortunately, it was as big a failure as, well, everything else about his presidency.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1515 on: November 19, 2012, 03:26:23 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, the Republicans are really shooting themselves in the foot on immigration, because Latino demographics, by and large, are aligned with the GOP on pretty much every other issue. If they could do something sane with regards to immigration they could take back the Latino vote they've had in the past, potentially grow that vote, and not have to worry so much about all the old white people dying off.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1516 on: November 19, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »

Yeah, a big part of the reason Harper's in power up here is that the Reformacons realized that, yeah, new immigrants are generally pretty damn conservative.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1517 on: November 19, 2012, 05:31:53 PM »

THEN you worry about them actually becoming old immigrants, and integrating into society and its popular values.  Then you start trying to prevent those immigrants from being able to fully integrate into the society you're at odds with.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1518 on: November 19, 2012, 06:26:42 PM »

I wonder what the next wave of immigrants will be, and what the spanglish slur for them will be.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #1519 on: November 19, 2012, 06:35:52 PM »

Martians
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 73 74 75 [76] 77