Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: DC Universe Online  (Read 437 times)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
DC Universe Online
« on: October 07, 2010, 07:42:16 PM »

DC Universe Online Exclusive Who Do You Trust Trailer HD

So this. There are some screenshots and game footage floating around and it looks pretty good so far, even though it's still early beta. Apparently the character customization isn't as involved as Champions Online, but it will include stuff you can earn over time which will optionally change your look. There are Iconic armour sets for high-level characters in the JLA and Legion of Doom HQ. There are also Iconic powers which are drawn from the powersets of existing characters, e.g. Superman's heat vision. Mostly, your character's powers are drawn from certain elements/concepts. You have ice/fire (tank), sorcery/nature (healing), gadgets/mental (control) but each powerset can go DPS if needed. Quests are given out via communique from Oracle or Calculator so there's no running around.

>Major quest lines consist of a series of objectives that take you from place to place, culminating in a boss battle. According to the devs, these are supposed to be possible-but-challenging solo, and easier in groups.

>Then there are Wanted/Bounty quests which consist of a single open boss battle, which are specifically balanced for groups.

>And finally, there are Alerts, which would probably be my favorite if there were enough people for them in the current beta.
>From a gameplay mechanics standpoint, Alerts work like this: When you reach the minimum required level, you receive a notification about some emergency in progress. From there, you hit the Alerts menu and join a queue. Once there are enough people queued up (4 to 8 depending on the Alert), you are automatically sent to the quest area where you have to work together to solve whatever crisis has arisen.
>And you don't have any say in who you end up grouped with, it's first-come first-serve.
>So basically, it's like an impromptu team-up between first responders at a disaster site. Lots of potential for fun once there are enough people playing.

Most of this information is gleaned from /co/. I think it looks all right, as MMOs go. It's no WoW killer, but it still seems worth a gander.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: DC Universe Online
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 12:46:35 AM »

Man the idea of being even the least bit Question like is great. I hope he has a part in the Mental section as a teacher.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 04:16:28 AM »

I'm going to keep a tentative eye on this.  I signed up for the beta, but no dice so far. 
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 04:27:19 AM »

Giving it a wait and see, really.  DCs stable of characters would be fun to run around with, but I haven't seen any info that makes it a compelling must own.