Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

Choice

1. Take care of it now.
- 0 (0%)
2. Secure the front.
- 0 (0%)
3. Lay low.
- 4 (50%)
4. ssssssssssssssss
- 4 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: The Ends Act 5: The Return  (Read 7381 times)

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
The Ends Act 5: The Return
« on: October 10, 2010, 10:08:44 AM »

Time.

It all comes back to you.

The incredible events that have led to this seem remote, fog-like in your memory.

You cast your thoughts back, trying to make sense of it all.

Escaping Limestone was as simple as finding a vehicle with the keys left inside. It didn't take you long. A black minivan, with empty plastic water bottles in the cup holders.

Driving out of town. You briefly thought of heading back for Jesse. But she is far enough away, you hope, that whatever blast is coming would leave her be. Besides, she should be underground, in Kyle's bunker.

Heading back to your hometown, then. Back down that terrible highway where you lost Jacob to the tattooed snake man.

You are a half hour out of Limestone when your vision fills with light. You pulled over quickly, knowing what was to follow.

The blast wave. The terrible noise. It rocks your van like an earthquake. Tactical nuclear device. Limestone is no more.

Then another violent shake. Your van lurched. You were slammed into the wheel despite your seat belt. Everything had gone dark.

And then, the dreams.

Dreams of being... others. Jesse. Max. David. Even Benny, the memory of it revolting in your mind.

Nicole.

When you awakened, you know that they were more than just dreams. Max was coming, Jesse was coming, Benny had killed (and worse) Shawna, David and Nicole were waiting at that church Benny had shown you earlier. But did Max and Jesse make it out of Limestone before it blew?

You had no idea how you are sharing their lives, like you shared the life of that Thing that calls you The Other. But you are sure that you are now somehow doing so.

Before you could feel Jesse, somewhat, when she was beside you. Feel her emotions, her trust in you. Is it because you were both infected, both part of some sort of strange alien hivemind? But that would mean everyone who you shared thoughts with would have to be infected. Is that possible?

Does that mean Benny is real, then? An actual, physical walking being?

And something was strange. Being a dog was odd, but completely understandable. Even being Nicole, that scared little girl. Or even Benny, as disgusting as it was. You could still comprehend it, make sense of it.

Something about being David was wrong.

Something... strange.

But try as you might, you can't put your finger on it.

The Van wouldn't start. EMP from the nuke, maybe? You didn't know. You took what little supplies you had and continued on foot. Max would find you on his own, you knew. When he arrived, you'd need to search him and find that tracer the military shot onto him.

Jesse would need a little help. You'd built a large bonfire in the hills, knowing she would see the smoke. Knowing that she'd arrive to it first, and then you could leave, before it attracted... other things.

Two days had passed at that fire. Feeding it. Watching the smoke drift upward into the sky.

The first night marked Max's return. He came out of the darkness, and for a moment, you saw the horrible shadow of a cavine.

But then he was barking and licking your face and you were rolling on the ground with him, happy. He looked a bit tore up, but otherwise OK.

"You found me again, boy," you'd said. Max had only grinned at you in reply.

You searched him. Found the tracer on his flank. Broke it, threw it into the fire. Confirmation that what you had dreamed was real.

By the end of the second day, you were growing nervous. You couldn't stay here much longer, giving away your position like this. What if that Thing saw the smoke, and realized what it meant. It might be on its way right now --

But then Jesse, on a bike. Backpack and shotgun slung on her back, wearing a spiffy new eye patch.

She seemed overjoyed to see you.

1. Tell her about Kyle and Shawna. About being her.

2. No. You don't want to frighten her away. Only tell her you must be moving on, quickly.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: The Ends Act 5: The Return
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »

I'm going to try to keep updating on a 48 hour (or less) schedule for a bit. Anyway, I'm telling you all this so you know that you'll need to get your vote in before 48 hours pass, as I've set the poll to expire then.

Here's to the return of my muse! I think it's gonna last for a bit this time.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2010, 05:52:54 PM »

(oh boy oh boy)

It'd be a bit silly to worry about scaring her at this point. She's seen a ton of weird shit, she's infected herself, she just escaped a fucking nuke.

Tell her. Maybe she felt different when we were seeing her. Maybe she doesn't even remember that bit. We need to know and so does she.

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2010, 07:32:42 PM »

Agreed.

woo!

LaserBeing

• invisible murder cube
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2010, 10:23:19 PM »

What good is telling her going to do? At best the news that Kyle and Shawna are dead is just going to upset her, at worst she'll feel violated and scared of us. She probably went through hell just to get here, why don't we at least give her a break for the moment.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 11:19:41 AM »

1. Tell her about Kyle and Shawna. About being her.

Telling her about your "dreams", your experiences of living through other people's eyes (and a degree of control, too, though you left that part out) seemed to somber her mood.

Leaving the bonfire behind, you found an abandoned minivan with some bikes on the back. Though you couldn't find the keys, you picked up a mountain bike to match hers.

Pedaling down the highway, Max loping lazily along behind you, you told her about "being" Benny, and how he had seemingly killed Kyle.

"And he killed Shawna, too?" Jesse had asked.

"I don't know," you replied honestly. "The dream ended before he actually went into the bunker, but he wasn't intending anything... nice."

Jesse was silent for a long time, the only sound your bikes on the hot concrete and Max's easy breathing behind you.

Finally she had spoken. "It's crazy, you know. Absolutely, completely, and utterly crazy."

You didn't disagree.

"But the thing is, I can... I think I can... feel. You. Max. Even... even those things."

Jesse pressed on the brakes and gazed out over a vista to a long sloping ravine. You pulled up next to her while Max busied himself with a nearby bush.

"It's not like what you're describing," she went on. "But I have this faint... like an echo of a feeling. Like I'm connected to them. I sometimes think I can actually predict what you're going to say next."

"I have a theory," you said.

Jesse turned to look at you.

"These things, these worms. I think they might have some sort of ... hivemind. Something like that. And since we're both infected... well..."

Jesse shook her head.

"It's just a theory."

"No, I know," she said. "It's just... it's so unreal, you know? Like I can't actually believe any of this shit is happening. Just when you think you've seen the weirdest thing, something happens that blows it out of the water."

Both of you paused for a long time.

Finally you spoke again. "Are you OK?"

"Yeah?"

"I mean... about Kyle. About Shawna."

Jesse tossed her hair back. "Fuck Kyle anyway. I never liked him."

You raised your eyebrows a bit. Sure, Kyle might have been sort of an asshole, but...

Jesse smiled faintly. "I'll be alright. I think I'm just numb, you know? So much death. Everyone is dead."

You nodded.

"Anyway, so if this theory of yours is true, it'd mean that everyone you "were" was infected, right? They'd have to be," Jesse said.

"Yeah, that's where I'm not so sure about it," you replied. "Like, I guess Max is infected? When I was him, he could feel it inside himself. He bit that crawler when we were in the liquor store. I guess some of it... got inside."

"But some of the others don't make sense," you went on. "Nicole, OK. I've had my suspicions about her since the start. But David? And something about being him felt... weird."

Jesse looked at you sharply. "What did you just say?"

"That being David felt weird?"

Jesse squinted. "Right."

"Anyway, if he's infected too, somehow, how come he hasn't shown any symptoms? He's not missing an eye. Neither is Nicole, for that matter. And neither one of them is using alcohol to suppress it," you said.

"What about Benny?"

"What about him?"

"Well, you told me he was an imaginary ... person. You know. A symptom of your infection. How could he kill Kyle? Or if he was real, how come he isn't stopped by bullets? Why can he disappear and reappear instantly?"

"I don't know," you admitted.

"Something about all this doesn't add up. Maybe that dream wasn't real. Like maybe the thing with me and Max, OK. But maybe Benny was fucking with you for that part."

"Maybe," you said slowly. "It felt pretty real, though."

"Well, do you have any other ideas?"

"I..."

Well, do you? Or was Benny just fucking with you?

Your answers below may influence the story. I'll leave it up for discussion for 48 hours.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2010, 07:10:08 PM »

oops. just remembered modifying a message doesn't put the thread in recent posts. Update above!

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2010, 08:13:35 PM »

Going back over the dreams...

You continue forward, your features changing. Assuming another guise, another form. Your fingernail begins to turn red.

This is the biggest thing to remember. Benny's a Red Nail. He is the third one we've seen; him, No Face, and the bloody girl that Max encountered.
It's possible that they are all the same entity. I was 100% sure Benny was No Face until I remembered the red-nailed girl.

Nicole seems to be an equivalent, in either power or role, to them for the blue.

Benny took Kyle's eye. Jesse's vision has her discovering that Kyle has been infected well before then. We assume the visions are occuring roughly simultaneously.
If Kyle was already missing an eye, did Benny take his other one? Is he going to become a Faceless?

I'm almost certain Benny didn't kill Kyle:
"Jesse is gone," you tell the sleeping man at your feet. "She has left to find Jon. You should go after her. You should find her. You should keep her safe from him. I know where they are going."
Sleeping could very well mean dead, but I don't think he'd bother giving directions to a corpse just for a sick thrill. We may be seeing Kyle again.

Everyone was saw was indeed infected:
Jesse
Kyle
The Other
Benny

David
Nicole

Still no idea what's up with David. Claimed by both blue and red? Probably not, because WE seem to have that going on. Every one of the purple lines was in direct reference to us though.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2010, 08:19:05 PM »

Double post:

Going off this theory, Benny is physical and exists outside our head. That means he's not just one of the worms in our brain. So he lied to us. That reasoning was his excuse for giving us "helpful" advice... if it's not true, was he just using it to persuade us to not reject him outright?

I can't remember the older details. Did we see No-Face when Benny was still alive? Did he appear after we saw him the first time? After we saw and killed him as a Faceless?

and... how IS our mom?

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 12:27:56 PM »

Pretty sure we saw No Face well after we punched Benny's card the first time.  And that we "hallucinated" Benny before No Face showed up, as well.  Not sure about the last one.

Moms is dead, yo.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 05:34:06 PM »

Having just read the entire story for the first time over the past day (I'd been following along at first and voting, but after we died the first time I let my attention wander and missed out on the rest of the Ends, the Others, and the start of this), I want to take the time to look at this properly.

Our first time encountering red text was after abandoning Benny, on our way back to get the generator from the gas station. We killed Benny for good when we got there, and then encountered No Face for the first time on the way back.

Now. Remember when we first got pissed? We had four choices: go with No-Face, go with Benny, take the third way out (death), or turn around and see Nicole, and Benny regretted us discovering that option. Also of note: during that dream, we had long red fingernails. We were fighting off our infection for the first time, and we were far enough along to be considered members of No Face's faction. Benny, then, must have represented traditional human interests: he was some sort of avatar of guilt, at the time. The way we've consistently rejected his advances have changed what he represents, though: he's the one with long red nails, now.
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 06:00:27 PM »

In conclusion, I think it may not have been literally Benny taking Kyle's eye and teleporting from one side of a closed door to another—he has a thing for putting his own dramatic spin on things—but I think we can assume that, whatever actually happened, the outcome is effectively the same: Shawna's dead, Kyle's succumbed to his infection, either through re-exposure or simple inevitability, and he's going to be coming after us, using information from his own analogous version of Benny or through information straight from the hivemind (if the two can even be said to be different).
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 06:08:02 PM »

Waaaaait a second...

House your mom?

:ohgod:

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 06:16:57 PM »

Actually:

He pauses, and seems to consider something.

"If these things are in your brain, then you may very well be suffering hallucinations, ranging from auditory, to visual, to, well, the entire sensual range, really. But... if this thing is doing it to you, actually manipulating the brain or somehow causing the effect, then... well, the hallucinations, if that's what you want to call them, could very well be real. To you."

"To me?"

"Yes. We couldn't see them, of course, but even if you knew that whatever you were seeing wasn't real, it wouldn't matter. The brain makes it real. It's possible."

"Great. So in addition to the real monsters out there, now I have to deal with a set all of my own, existing entirely only inside my head."

I wonder if Benny's segment wasn't just his way of telling us that the gloves are coming off, and he's no longer just going to sit idly by and screw with us indirectly? After all, if everybody around us is (almost) as infected as we are, then with the hive mind and all, I'm thinking whether he's real or not won't matter; he'll still be able to kick our ass.
Signature:

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2010, 10:23:22 PM »

Hmm.

The hallway seems to indicate Benny and No-Face are separate entities. But the fact that he shifted his features as he went for Kyle is important, I believe. He didn't just grow the red nail, he changed his appearance.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2010, 11:15:05 PM »

Gonna keep the discussion open a few more days.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2010, 08:50:52 AM »

If Benny is our Tyler Durden, and we're mindlinked, there's no reason he couldn't appear to -anyone- in the hive mind. Maybe he could "download" himself to a zombie, so to say.

What does all of this have to do with the house, though?

jsnlxndrlv

• Custom Title
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Website title
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2010, 03:39:30 PM »

MOM BENNY MOM / Jessie

NO FACE / Benny

NICOLE / Wolfy Max

JOHN / David

All three factions have a claim to us. We have used their methods and their gifts, to varying degrees, but we have also refused to commit exclusively to them. We are not entirely human, nor single-minded propagator, nor symbiotic companion. We've become the fourth, the Other, the guardians. We need to get to Nicole and David.
Signature:

Cthulhu-chan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 12:43:44 AM »

I can agree with that.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2010, 12:53:51 AM »

Haha, so 48 hours turned into like 2 weeks

in my defense, I had to go out of town and then I just got SC2

"Something about all this doesn't add up. Maybe that dream wasn't real. Like maybe the thing with me and Max, OK. But maybe Benny was fucking with you for that part."

"Maybe," you said slowly. "It felt pretty real, though."

"Well, do you have any other ideas?"

"I..."

"... don't really know," you finished, after a pause.

"So we still don't know if Benny is an actual flesh and blood being or not," Jesse said, brushing a strand of hair off her eye-patch.

"I somehow doubt he's 'real' in that sense, at least," you said. "He's got to be just some sort of trick of my own mind."

"But you said... oh, fuck it," Jesse said, throwing her hands up. "Let's just go."

"I think Kyle might be... coming for us," you said slowly, to Jesse's back.

She turned slightly. "How would he know where to find us?"

"If you were right about him being infected, which my dream seems to also suggest, then..."

"Christ," Jesse said. "This linked mind/hivemind shit is just... too unreal."

"We should be keeping an eye out for him, just in case," you said gently.

Finally Jesse nodded. You got the sense she was regretting coming to find you again.

Soon enough you found a working pickup truck, keys left in the ignition, driven off the road into a ditch. You put the bikes in the back and Max hopped happily in the middle seat between the two of you.

Three hours later you were turning back on the road where you, Nicole, David and Jacob had briefly encountered a man and wife still living in their house off the highway. As you drove by it, you could see the house had been reduced to a smoldering ruin. Nothing living nearby.

You passed nothing and no one. The skies were empty, cloudless. Fields of rice and grain dotted with the occasional farmhouse. Most but not all had been bombed out, hollow shells of wood and smoke drifting into the nowhere skies.

A loud pop, followed by a thud thud thud. The truck lurched.

You pulled over, got out. Flat tire. Inspecting it closer, you discovered --

"Uh, you might wanna look at this," Jesse said from behind you. Max whimpered.

A yellowish-green stain on the road, trailing in the direction of your vehicle. It hadn't been in front of you.

The question died on your lips as a sudden mass of crawlers began to pour over the edge of the road from the field.

Jesse was already running, down the road, away from them. Max loped alongside her, snapping at a crawler as it reached out with long vines.

They were coming from both sides. Hiding in the tall grass. The ditches. An ambush. Jesus. One of them must have jumped out in front of your car, sacrificed itself like a land mine to --

All your supplies. Back in the truck. Christ. Jesse running backward. Pausing to fire her pistol at the front runners. You catching up. A bullet skipped on the pavement ahead of you.

"Come on!" she shouted.

The crawlers pursued you for over twenty minutes. They were fast, alarmingly so, but it seemed like they couldn't keep up that speed forever. But over distance, they would run you down. Jesse, you, even Max, panting now, doing your best to keep jogging, keep ahead of the crawling carpet of death behind you.

You couldn't keep this up. You'd have to find some way to get away from them. As you ran you could actually begin to feel them, in your mind, in that strange echo memory. Like tiny itchy welts on your skin. Hungry.

You crested a small hill and saw a small farmhouse not too far off the side of the highway. You were less than 20 minutes (by car) away from your hometown, but it looked like you weren't going to get there anytime soon. You pointed at the house.

"The roof!" you gasped. Jesse nodded.

Cutting across the field and then the yard, frantically looking for any way to ascend. The crawlers less than a minute behind.

Around back, over the short and warn wooden fence. A small patch of overgrown green grass in a field of yellow. A plastic yellow slide and a swing set. A garden hose snaking through the grass. An aluminum ladder leaning against the back wall.

"Up!" you shouted. Jesse climbed ahead of you. You followed and were about to throw the ladder down.

"Max!" Jesse screamed.

Shit. Below, he ran back and forth, barking. A pitiful attempt to climb the ladder. Falling back to the ground.

"Shit," you said this time. "Come on, Max! Come on!"

Max tried again. Again, he failed.

"What do we do?" Jesse asked, her voice cracking.

1. Climb down, grab him under an arm, climb back up one armed.

2. Too risky to climb. Fortify yourself inside a room inside the house.

3. Leave Max to die.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5