Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Hey kids! Free comics!  (Read 12930 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Re: Hey kids! Free comics!
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2012, 12:59:15 PM »

Free Comic Book Day is coming up this Saturday.  Why not go down to your local comic shop and see what they've got?

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2012, 06:47:01 PM »

Free Comic Book Day is the best day. Make sure you grab the Adventure Time Comic!

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 05:01:25 PM »

I did!

The Dreaming had a deal they like to call "pick 20 comics from these longboxes and take them." There were some interesting titles in there.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2012, 05:58:42 PM »

Wait what how the fuck did you find Sledge Hammer. Son of a fuck.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2012, 06:05:09 PM »

waitaminute

FUCK I FORGOT IT WAS FREE COMIC DAY

Lady

• :3
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2012, 12:56:51 PM »

of the three places having FCBD here this year, two had lines out the door and around the block and the third had only shitty ones I wasn't interested in and nothing worth buying inside anyway :|  but they did have cupcakes...

Aside from showing off our new flyer for Free Comic Book Day we want to announce a new contest we are having. Whatever school sends the most students to Free Comic Book Day at Geoffrey's Comics will receive a $400 pile of graphic novels from Geoffrey's Comics. So if you are a teacher - share this with other teachers. If you are a student, share it on your wall with your other students. Just get the word out that Geoffrey's Comics wants to give away $400 in graphic novels to schools. If you our your teachers have any questions, please feel free to contact us here on facebook.
The BIGGEST Free Comic Book Day the Comic Bug has ever thrown. It's bordering on a mini-con with booths by Arcana Studios, JustJenn Designs, Long Beach Comic-Con, The Hero Initiative, Aspen Studios and MUCH MORE!

Guests include:

Richard Starkings (ELEPHANTMEN)
Joshua Dysart (HARBINGER)
David Wohl (EXECUTIVE ASSISTANT IRIS)
JT Krul (CAPTAIN ATOM, WAR THAT TIME FORGOT)
Peter Steigerwald (FATHOM)
David Schwartz (IDOLIZED)
Jeff Stokely (FRAGGLE ROCK)
Robbi Rodriguez (MAINTENANCE)
Robert Napton HN CARTER WARRIORS OF MARS)
Karl Altstaetter (ME 2)
B. Alex Thomson (INTRINSIC)
Michael Asadpour (INTRINSIC)
Matthew Adams (INTRINSIC)
Ralph Miranda (MAN FIGHTING STREET)
Chris Kawagiwa (THE SUNLESS CIRCUS)
Luis Calderon (SPACE JOHNY)
Lord Mesa (CHIBI art-styled prints)
Chris Patton (TOTALLY TRUE PRINCESS STORY)
Robb Fulcher (THE SNAKE THAT WOULD NOT BEND)
Juan-Manuel Rocha (COMICS ON COMICS)
Rikki Niehaus (THE GHASTLY LOVE OF JOHNNY X)
Chris Brandt (director, COMIC BOOK INDEPENDENTS)
Don Schmidt (STEAMFUNK)
Just Jenn (JUSTJENN DESIGNS)
David Horvath (UGLYDOLLS)
Kevin Altieri (Batman The Animated Series)
Scott Koblish (OMAC)

and more to be announced soon!

That's not all! There will be costumed characters for you to take a photo with (so bring a camera)! And did we mention THOUSANDS of free comics!

no goddamn wonder..

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2012, 03:47:32 PM »

Wait what how the fuck did you find Sledge Hammer. Son of a fuck.
There are cheap copies of the entire run on Ebay, although it's not quite the same as digging them from a musty box of Dr. Strange comics.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2012, 07:20:37 PM »

Our store had its highest-grossing day in its 36 year history. Free comics indeed!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #48 on: May 08, 2012, 10:22:23 AM »

If you missed them, Dark Horse's freebies are available for free through the end of the month.  You have to sign up for an account.

Buffy/Alabaster Wolves/The Guild -- The Guild is friggin' hilarious; Day wrote it herself.  And the Buffy sequence has her in space fighting a capital-A Alien.

Star Wars/Alabaster Wolves/Serenity -- Haven't read this one yet, but I thumbed through it and the Serenity story didn't have that problem where everyone looks too much like the actor.  So that's a good sign.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #49 on: May 09, 2012, 09:08:15 PM »

The Star Wars/Serenity one is a fascinating concept: it's two versions of the same story.  One features Han and Chewie and the other features Mal and the crew, but they both have essentially the same premise and arc, and both are written by Zack Whedon.  (There's even a line of dialogue in common: both stories have someone offer to buy the ship; both Mal and Han respond with "Not for sale.  Not now, not ever.")  I think it's really quite a neat idea, taking two different licensed SF universes and showing how the same premise plays out in each.

The Serenity one is better.  Partly it's because of the dialogue: Whedon, as you'd expect, knows the characters' voices, and it feels like an episode of the show.  (Well, a very short one.  But still.)  The Star Wars story, rather by necessity, is mostly just Han talking, and isn't very interesting for it.

But partly it's because of the art.  Fabio Moon puts in strong work on Serenity, and the colors are sharp too; the Star Wars story has decent enough pencils but it's got that digital-inking thing going that I don't care much for, and the colors are drab and brown.

Anyway.  It's free.  I personally wouldn't go to the hassle of signing up for a free Dark Horse digital comics account just to get it, but YMMV.

Some other publishers have put their freebies up online, too -- I'll try and get some links up later on.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2012, 10:58:51 AM »

Jim Lawson (best known as the primary artist on TMNT for most of its run) has begun posting his dinosaur comic Paleo online.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2012, 07:41:38 AM »

Better than free:

Read Blackburn Burrow by Ron Marz and Matthew Dow Smith, fill out a survey, get a $5 Amazon gift card.

Via The Beat.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 10:41:47 AM »

You lie! The survey's closed.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #53 on: September 13, 2012, 11:18:21 AM »

Wull dang.

Comic's still free though, right?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 13, 2012, 12:32:48 PM »

I want my five bucks.

* Büge pouts angrily

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #55 on: November 05, 2012, 09:38:28 AM »

Quantum and Woody #1, by Christopher Priest and Mark Bright.  (And #2-#14, plus the Goat Special, are $2 a pop, with more to come -- including previously unpublished issues!)

This is one of my all-time favorite series.  If you read Priest's Black Panther series...well, then you're not People Who Don't Read Comics, but this is a lot like that.

It's a buddy comedy about two estranged former best friends thrown together by circumstance after their fathers' deaths in a lab accident.  (They are not a couple.)  It's narrated out of sequence, it frequently breaks the fourth wall, and it manages the wonderful tightrope walk of deconstructing and mocking superhero/buddy cop tropes while simultaneously embracing and celebrating them.  And it's quite possibly the funniest comic I've ever read.

Seriously, I love this thing.  Read #1 for free and see what you think.  Then buy the rest.  There are persistent rumors that the series is coming back, and lots of people buying back issues wouldn't hurt the odds.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #56 on: December 30, 2012, 10:52:23 AM »

Saga reminds me, cursorily, of New Gods.  Because it's a space opera about a war between two planets that features obvious biblical symbolism, and because there is some fucking crazy shit going on.

That's really where the similarity ends.  This isn't a superhero book, and it's not like Kirby in writing, pacing, or art.  (Maybe in the themes and Big Ideas.)  And yes it goes without saying that only Jack Kirby was Jack Kirby.

But so far I quite like it.  I think, in the span of 32 pages(? they're not numbered and I didn't count, but it FELT like 32 pages -- for only $2.99!), Vaughan and Staples managed to create a neat, weird universe, and fill my head with questions that I legitimately hope go unanswered.

(Vaughan's good at that.  It's easy to give readers an explanation for the Big Mysteries -- and just as easy to let them down with an anticlimax that is not anywhere near as interesting as the mystery itself was.  What killed all the men in Y?  YOU NEVER FIND OUT.  And that may seem, to the untrained eye, like it's lazy or a copout -- but it's just the opposite.  It's very good instinct and remarkable self-control on Vaughan's part.)

Really good start, and I can see why it seems to be the New Hotness and is purportedly selling out everywhere.  If you can still find a copy at cover price, I definitely recommend getting it; if not, I suspect there'll be a second printing, the way things are going.

#1 is free but you have to jump through some hoops -- the Image site makes you sign up for an account and assure them you're at least 17, while the Comixology version is a Comixology version.  Well worth it, though.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2012, 10:26:30 AM »

$2 off anything at digital.darkhorse.com with the code "DHNYE2013".  Expires tomorrow.  Use it for something that costs $2 and you got yourself a free comic.

Some choices on available $2 comics:

47 Ronin
Abe Sapien
Alabaster
Aliens (also has an FCBD issue that's free without the coupon)
Axe Cop
Beasts of Burden
BPRD (#1 is free without the coupon if you want a taste first)
Concrete
Busiek/Nord Conan (#0 is free without the coupon)
Wood/Cloonan Conan (I'll be honest, I quit reading when it switched artists)
Poe's The Conqueror Worm, adapted by Corben
The Creep
Creepy (#1 free on its own)
Dr. Horrible
Fatima
Groo
The Guild
Hellboy (Seed of Destruction #1 free on its own)
The Incredible Adventures of Dog Mendonca and Pizza Boy
Little Lulu
Lobster Johnson
The Massive
Reset
Resident Alien
Serenity (Float Out is good; haven't read Shepherd's Tale or Downtime.  Didn't care for the art in the two minis.  Don't know why they don't have the FCBD issue -- maybe because it's incomplete without the Star Wars flipside that is the exact same story but with Han and Chewie.)
Speak of the Devil
Usagi Yojimbo

...oof.  This is going to be harder than I thought.

Anyway, limited time offer on most of these, but note the ones I highlighted as being free tasters; they'll still be good in a couple days.

(And these are mostly books I've already read and recommend, with a few I haven't read but was already interested in; I'm sure there are plenty more good ones that I'm not familiar with.  Share your own recommendations.)

(EDIT: Settled on 47 Ronin for myself.)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2013, 01:24:36 PM »

Now that I've got a tablet, I finally hit up Thrillbent to see what Mark Waid's been up to with this whole digital comics initiative of his.

The result: 777 words about why I am in love with Insufferable, the main Thrillbent book, which is written by Waid and drawn by Peter Krause.

This is a legitimately great comic; it combines classic, tested comic book storytelling with innovations that are particular to the digital format and that, for the most part, work and work really well.  And it's all available for free, as CBZ or PDF, with no DRM.

The high concept, basically, is "What if Nightwing was a douchebag?"  It's the story of an aging superhero and his former sidekick, who's grown up to be an insecure publicity hound.

I've been enjoying it on a tablet, but if you're into reading comics on desktop/laptop/phone screens, it should work just fine on those, too.  It's designed for landscape reading.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2013, 08:04:43 PM »

Kyle Baker has put most of his creator-owned catalog up for free.

They're posted as Picasa galleries, so you can't (easily) download them, but still, good for him.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5