Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 45

Author Topic: News from the North  (Read 59337 times)

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: News from the North
« Reply #720 on: November 20, 2012, 05:28:28 AM »

I'm listening to the radio right now, and the crew of the morning news program at 98,5fm is trying to find out what the hell happened on that road. Apparently, it's the handiwork of a private company called DJL Constructions. They blame Hydro-Québec for not showing up on time. And HQ are blaming DJL for not waiting for them. Or vice versa, even that much is not clear.

In other words, situation normal, all fucked up. We can't even blame that one on the mafia. It's just idiots being idiots.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: November 20, 2012, 06:59:34 AM »

Oh my God.

Same radio show as last post.

A man calls in. He works for a pavement company. Last year they were redoing a stretch of road in the Lanaudière region. The day they were to start, just before they could strip off the old pavement, a crew from the Ministère des Transports arrived on the scene. They were there to paint the lines.

They painted the lines on seven kilometers of old pavement. The next day they allowed the pavement crew back, who then proceeded to remove the old pavement and replace it. When that was done, the MdT people came back to paint the lines again.

:isweird:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: November 26, 2012, 07:21:51 AM »

The court ruling on Rob Ford's incredibly stupid conflict-of-interest case is coming down this morning (not to be confused with the various other lawsuits and court cases he is currently embroiled in!).

While waiting for the ruling, I have just discovered the greatest thing: http://twitter.com/HULKMAYOR

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: November 26, 2012, 09:10:14 AM »

Ford himself went into the trial saying he did nothing wrong. During the grilling by Ruby, he allowed that, if he had been advised that voting on the matter could land him in court, he wouldn’t have voted.

That's the kind of schoolyard bullcrap excuse I'd expect from a ten-year-old getting caught stealing. How'd this bunghole get to be mayor, again?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #725 on: November 26, 2012, 10:13:30 AM »

We voted for him. ::(:

(Well I didn't vote for Kang Ford, but as a voter and citizen I feel responsible)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #726 on: November 26, 2012, 10:15:51 AM »

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #727 on: November 26, 2012, 11:06:49 AM »

BWAHAHAHAHA

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/cto/3435527958.html

This posting has been flagged for removal. [?]
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

I think it's time for another round of everyone telling me how stupid I am for suggesting it would be beneficial for people to describe the thing they are linking.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #728 on: November 26, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »

If you want to make clicking on the link a surprise, use spoiler tags.

EDIT:
Removed "fucking" from the above. I am just in a fucking sweary mood today and I am so fucking sorry for swearing randomly. Shit.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #729 on: November 26, 2012, 12:42:42 PM »

BWAHAHAHAHA

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/cto/3435527958.html

This posting has been flagged for removal. [?]
(The title on the listings page will be removed in just a few minutes.)

I think it's time for another round of everyone telling me how stupid I am for suggesting it would be beneficial for people to describe the thing they are linking.

Dammit, that was fast. Fortunately the text is still available thanks to INTERNETS:

“USED FORD FOR SALE — $1“:

One slightly used Ford for sale.
White with red trim.
Purchased for the demolition of the City of Toronto.
Low mileage.
Ideal for hauling football equipment or towing your gravy train.

Note: Air conditioning is broken, only blows hot air.

It also appears the news has even made its way to Iceland: http://www.mbl.is/frettir/erlent/2012/11/26/gert_ad_haetta_sem_borgarstjori/

@ Classic:  :fuckyou:

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #730 on: December 02, 2012, 06:06:03 PM »

I've said before I was not a fan of Justin Trudeau. But somewhere, I was thinking, maybe I'm being unfair to the guy, maybe I shouldn't think the sins of the father would have rubbed off, I should be more intellectually honest and wait to see what he has to say.

Trudeau calls long-gun registry 'a failure'
Having a firearm is an 'important facet of Canadian identity,' Liberal leadership hopeful says

nopenopenopenopeNOPE

immediately file under GOD DAMNED JACKASS forever

:done:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #731 on: December 02, 2012, 06:16:16 PM »

Eh. That just seems like a minor vote-gambit. Which particular aspect of that statement bugs you the most?

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #732 on: December 02, 2012, 06:20:06 PM »

Having a firearm being an important facet of Canadian indentity. We do not need that bullshit north of the border. I know a growing amount of people seem to think that way, but to encourage them like that? He doesn't even have the excuse of being a Conservative. He can just go choke on a rubber dick.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #733 on: December 03, 2012, 12:13:40 AM »

Well, the difference here is that it's not being advocated as some kind of god-given right sent on down from the mountaintop on graven tablets (THAT would be American). He's just pointing out that yeah plenty of Canadians do in fact use guns regularly "Yeah, I need to use a gun, I like using guns, and my family has used guns for a long time." and that Canada, being a rural country for the bulk of its existence has a higher proportion of such people than say, The Netherlands. Or Monaco.

I have too many prairie-province relatives to dismiss gun ownership as "Un-Canadian". Nor did I ever really think the registry was that great of a thing in the first place. The only reason I even thought it was OKAY, was because the cops said it was useful (but then, cops will ALWAYS say that about stuff like this) and because the unwillingness to register just seemed more like rifle-owners being really whiny (awwww I don't WANNA). It's not like there was any actual restriction placed on gun owners aside from the registration being recorded somewhere.

I don't think you're going to like Justin regardless, so this is hardly an attempt on my part to defend him.

Maybe it's because I live in Ontario, where the only thing that ever happens is someone gets elected to destroy whatever it was the last guy did and then one day you wake up and nobody has done anything for you at any level of government in thirty years. So maybe gun control is a good point or a bad point, but damned if I'm not okay with someone not wanting to waste their time trying to re-fight the battles over relatively minor stuff which have already been lost.

And I'll be double-damned if I'm not happy to see someone who actually has a ghost of a chance of unseating Stephen Harper.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #734 on: December 03, 2012, 02:10:48 AM »

I wouldn't dismiss gun ownership as un-Canadian either, that's almost as bad. I don't have anything against hunters and farmers and such who do what they gotta do and do it safely. But tying firearms to national identity in any way just makes the bile rise in the back of my throat. He may not entirely believe it in that way himself, but a lot of the people who hear these words are going to think "beavers, lumberjack, maple syrup, good old Prairie wheat, oil and guns, yeehaw!", and he'll have to answer to them if they give him his vote.

And I'll be double-damned if I'm not happy to see someone who actually has a ghost of a chance of unseating Stephen Harper.

That reminds me of that time oh so long ago when I wanted anyone to beat Paul Martin. Of course the circumstances were different, at that time anyone could beat Paul Martin. But still. Chat échaudé craint l'eau froide!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #735 on: December 03, 2012, 10:29:00 AM »

he'll have to answer to them if they give him his vote.

I think you may have forgotten where we live.

That reminds me of that time oh so long ago when I wanted anyone to beat Paul Martin. Of course the circumstances were different, at that time anyone could beat Paul Martin. But still. Chat échaudé craint l'eau froide!

I actually quite like Paul Martin and really didn't want Harper near anything breakable even back then (I'd have actually MUCH rather have had Preston Manning than Harper!). Eh...

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 03, 2012, 01:20:33 PM »

The idea that he's probably lying to them to get their support is almost immaterial. We are at a point where a guy whose next career move is trying to become the leader of the Liberal party feels like one of the required steps on the way there is to get to know what the butt of the gun lobby tastes like. (Surprise! It tastes like Steven Harper's tongue!) Maybe that's shrewd of him and it'll work, I don't care. I may have filed him under "gd jackass", but it's not like he doesn't have company in there. I didn't make a new folder specially for him, he's just going to fit right in with all the other gd jackasses.

I may want my province to leave this country, but even I will admit there are pretty rad things about Canadian identity, which softens the blow of being forced to stick around. It just... feels like these rad things are getting chipped away faster and faster. And that's actively horrifying.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 12, 2012, 07:43:34 PM »

Ottawa actually scraps F-35 purchase

Haha... hoh wow! When they made the $40 billion announcement, that was a pretty strong indicator, but still, it's really neat to see this actually come to pass.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #738 on: December 14, 2012, 01:45:43 PM »

Man, this Charbonneau Commission stuff... I just want to know if there is a mayor anywhere in Quebec who isn't going to be arrested within the next year.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 14, 2012, 03:16:59 PM »

Hilariously enough, the Commission really doesn't have a whole lot to do with it, the timing is coincidental. That judge barely has the power to compel witnesses to show up, much less actually have anyone arrested. In fact, anything anyone says in there can't be used against them in court, though they may be prosecuted if other evidence comes up.

The couple mayors who got arrested, in Mascouche* and today in Saint-Rémi, and the one in Laval who had a bunch of his properties raided, that's the work of the Unité Permanente Anti-Corruption and the Sûreté du Québec's Opération Gravier; as far as I can tell these are the people who are getting stuff done. I wouldn't be surprised to see them here in Saint-Hyacinthe, I hear a lot of land has been changing hands for not a lot of money lately.

*: My brother's girlfriend lives in Mascouche. Just behind her apartment building there used to be a large, beautiful park. Mayor had it sold for peanuts and now it's just a bunch of condominiums.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 45