Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 45

Author Topic: News from the North  (Read 59657 times)

James Edward Smith

• CIS male, Albeist Scumbag
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: News from the North
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2008, 12:42:29 PM »

whoa, you're no longer in Van?

oi..

Yeah, the problem with representation is you have these paradoxes like your candidate being super awesome, but her leader being a mustached douchebag..

If my military friends ever hear of this one...

Hahah, Commie!

Oh wait, I voted Green last election, NDP before that and will probably vote Green party this time. Never mind then.

I'm not voting NDP or Liberal because the candidates for both of those parties in my riding are avid church goers. Gary Goodyear, the incumbent conservative candidate, is actually a really good MP, the best MP my riding has had for a while, but I really don't like the ReformConservative party so he doesn't get my vote either. The only logical choice other than abstaining is to vote Green.
Talk? Talk is for lovers, Merlin. I need a sword to be king.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2008, 02:11:18 PM »

I'm not voting NDP or Liberal because the candidates for both of those parties in my riding are avid church goers.

Wait, have they done something offensive via their church going, or is the mere fact that they're religious enough to keep you from voting for them?

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2008, 03:48:11 PM »

I'm not voting NDP or Liberal because the candidates for both of those parties in my riding are avid church goers.

Wait, have they done something offensive via their church going, or is the mere fact that they're religious enough to keep you from voting for them?

The latter. I don't vote for anyone who actively goes to church anymore. I think it shows them to be a person who is insincere at best, or at worst a person who does not govern their decisions based on reason or rationality. I do not want to be governed by either sort of person.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2008, 04:43:33 PM »

Somehow I'd rather be governed by a moderate, open-minded religious man than by a raging atheist, if that's the only information I have to go on to make my choice. Isn't that just balls crazy?

Or course if we're talking about picking between two zealots, I'd go with the miscreant every time.

Kashan

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2008, 04:46:40 PM »

:MENDOZAAAAA:

The latter. I don't vote for anyone who actively goes to church anymore. I think it shows them to be a person who is insincere at best, or at worst a person who does not govern their decisions based on reason or rationality. I do not want to be governed by either sort of person.

So you would vote for somebody with a contrary ethical system if they were the only cantidate that wasn't religious? Or would just not vote? I don't understand how non-religiosity could be considered the most important issue any more than I can understand how religiosity could be the most important issue.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2008, 05:10:14 PM »

Here's something else: 

The media blackout on results still exists!  Despite the internets, the local cable company has blacked out CBC newsworld. 

Talk about out-of-date regulation!

James Edward Smith

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2008, 05:17:19 PM »

Quote from:   :derp:
So you would vote for somebody with a contrary ethical system if they were the only cantidate that wasn't religious? Or would just not vote?

I'm sure if Thad was here, he'd mock you for throwing such a false dilema in my face, Kashan.

I voted for the Green party about an hour ago. The Liberal candidate here is a total joke and the NDP guy has been talking about is hospitals as his main concern which I don't see as being a big issue here. Both the Green member and the NDP member have been talking about air polution which I do see as a big issue here.

I would never vote for someone who has a contrary ethical system to me, but this never really comes up as most religious people have contrary ethical systems to me (They are often against homosexuals for no rational reason for instance). Why you said I would do that, I have no idea, unless you thought that the Green party doesn't share my ethical beliefs, which it does.

I never said religiousity was the most important factor in elections to me. There are other reasons that I didn't vote Liberal or NDP this election, but it was a contributing a factor. I try to be a very open minded person, and I never claim to have all the answers to anything. This philosophy has caused me to be very understanding of religious individuals for a long time, especially moderates. But I just don't care anymore. Religious fundamentalists have worn me down to the point that I just don't understand what the point of being a religious moderate is. Religion is a fundamentally illegitimate institution to me. I see no reason to persecute people for believing in it, but I equally believe that it should have no place in governmental decision making since it is based around believing things to be one way that was decided a long time ago and to never change no matter what evidence arises to challenge those ideas.

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2008, 05:47:09 PM »

Religious fundamentalists have worn me down to the point that I just don't understand what the point of being a religious moderate is.

It's your prerogative, and I don't blame you for ending up that way, but... I say it sincerely: I find this tragic. When extremism destroys moderation's reputation, everybody loses.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2008, 06:06:58 PM »

I live in Layton's personal feifdom (I may have mentioned this), but I gave my $1.70* to the Liberals.

*For the Americans: Due to legislation introduced in the last few years, donations to political parties have been severely curtailed across the board. In partial compensation, each party that meets a minimum threshold in the popular vote (5%? 8%? I forget), gets some money to spend on the CURRENT election, based on their share of the vote in the LAST election. The current value of a vote calculated on that basis is something like $1.70. Thus, even if your preferred party does not win, you get a bit of a consolation prize (next time around).

EDIT for the Conservative/NDP voters: If you're wondering why I voted for the party of big business and generalized incompetance, please note that I trust Paul Martin's party to run our economy in a far better way than Flaherty has with his patchwork disasters.

STUPID GST CUT! YOU FUCKING IDIOTS. GIVE ME AN INCOME TAX CUT! UR DOING IT WRONG!

That, and I hate Harper and Layton more than I do Dion.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2008, 06:16:56 PM »

Update: Looks like the Conservatives are going to be swept out of Newfoundland. :lol:

Someone give Danny Williams a prize.  :whoops: :glee:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2008, 06:33:32 PM »

Hilarious side stories so far:

- Maxime Bernier re-elected, lulz to follow!
- Garth Turner on his way out. Don't let the door hit your mouth on the way out Garth!

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2008, 07:01:07 PM »

- Maxime Bernier re-elected, lulz to follow!

Yeah, that's strange. I got family there, and according to them pretty much everyone hated the guy even before all the stuff happened. I guess the alternatives are too horrible to contemplate.

In other news, my riding re-elected a semi-hot Vietnamese adoptee. Score!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2008, 07:40:19 PM »

Every time I've seen Bernier say or do anything, he seemed like a guy trying to act like Trudeau... only completely devoid of any brains and/or vision. He's like a caricature of the good-looking office idiot that spends all his time avoiding work and chatting up the women at the office.

And yet he was re-elected with nearly quadruple the vote of his nearest competition. And he's not even a cabinet minister anymore. Way to go Beauce?

:?: :wat:

Detonator

• You made me come back for THIS?
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2008, 07:46:07 PM »

So you have your federal elections the day after Thanksgiving?  That seems a little strange, is it?
"Imagine punching somebody so hard that they turned into a door. Then you found out that's where ALL doors come from, and you got initiated into a murder club that makes doors. The stronger you punch, the better the door. So there are like super strong murderers who punch people into Venetian doors and shit"

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2008, 07:47:57 PM »

Further:

- LOL at André Arthur and getting re-elected. We's trollin' in the hizzouse.
- Props to Bill Casey and the residents of Cumberland - Colchester - Fuggeddaboudit Valley. Sometimes the moral stand is good for one elections's worth of free rides (at the expense of later elections).

Way to go team independant! You can now claim total board superiority against the Greens.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2008, 07:48:56 PM »

So you have your federal elections the day after Thanksgiving?  That seems a little strange, is it?

Dates are variable.

Don't let the recently-passed 'fixed election dates' law you may have heard about fool you - it can be ignored in a variety of ways.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2008, 08:12:11 PM »

Looks like Gerard Kennedy made it in.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2008, 08:19:06 PM »

So is Canada fucked or saved.

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2008, 08:23:43 PM »

Have a great day~!

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2008, 08:37:15 PM »

Do I still want to go there if these elections turn out... red?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 45