Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 45

Author Topic: News from the North  (Read 59346 times)

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: News from the North
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2008, 01:35:28 PM »

LOL, It's a good thing I know you because that "sounds" awful typed as text.

Yeah, this kid was a fucking idiot, though I think the price of his failure was rather a little high.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 14, 2008, 02:43:45 PM »

Crisp recalled how Brandon loved to play sports when he was younger. He played goalie on his local hockey team, but was let go because he was shorter than the other children. After that, he got heavily into gaming.

"Children don't want to go outside and play sports. They'd rather be inside playing these things," Crisp said, referring to gaming.

Erm.  Sorry, guy, I know you're a little upset and all, but please take a moment to straighten out your sense of cause-and-effect there.  Clearly this was a kid who wanted to play outside, didn't get a fair shake at it, and retreated into an obsession as a response.  And when that was taken from him, he climbed up a tree (so unhealthy!) high enough to kill himself, and just so happened to do so.

The worst part is that the father was actually right to limit the kid's vidjagaming, but probably went a little over the top because of his own personal bias against it.  Had the medium not been so villified in recent years he probably would have thought a little harder before yanking the bottle out of the addict's hand.

Also, he raised a kid smart and depressed enough to commit suicide basically anywhere.

The Artist Formerly Known As Yoji

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 14, 2008, 03:28:20 PM »

Wait a cotton-picking minute...

Quote from: Wiki
Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare is a first-person shooter video game developed by blah blah blah...

Rating(s)    BBFC: 15[6]
ESRB: M (Mature)
OFLC: MA 15+[7]
PEGI: 16+[8]
USK: 18[9]

Quote from: CTV
Brandon Crisp, 15, as seen in this family photo released yadda yadda...

:pop:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 14, 2008, 06:06:08 PM »

Crisp recalled how Brandon loved to play sports when he was younger. He played goalie on his local hockey team, but was let go because he was shorter than the other children. After that, he got heavily into gaming.

"Children don't want to go outside and play sports. They'd rather be inside playing these things," Crisp said, referring to gaming.

Erm.  Sorry, guy, I know you're a little upset and all, but please take a moment to straighten out your sense of cause-and-effect there.  Clearly this was a kid who wanted to play outside, didn't get a fair shake at it, and retreated into an obsession as a response.  And when that was taken from him, he climbed up a tree (so unhealthy!) high enough to kill himself, and just so happened to do so.

The worst part is that the father was actually right to limit the kid's vidjagaming, but probably went a little over the top because of his own personal bias against it.  Had the medium not been so villified in recent years he probably would have thought a little harder before yanking the bottle out of the addict's hand.

Also, he raised a kid smart and depressed enough to commit suicide basically anywhere.

I suspect the fall was accidental more than anything. Of course that's pure conjecture on my part.

Also, I don't see anything too far out of line with 'parent completely bans X'. Taking away shit has always been a parent's prerogative. Grated you could argue that 0-60 was not what you call a smooth move, but still, it's well within the purview of your average halfway-competent parental pair.

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 14, 2008, 07:42:14 PM »

I also believe that the parents actions were justified on this.  Media addiction is a serious issue which is only starting to be looked at...

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: November 15, 2008, 08:44:49 AM »

I would actually like to see some serious research on the incredibly high levels of modern alienation. I think that anecdotally, we can all think of someone who spends far too much time online, often to the detriment of their ability to socialize normally. What we don't have is numbers for ANYTHING.

I'm a bit torn in guessing whether or not the first real useful social studies will come out of North America or Asia. North Americans are more likely to talk about it openly as a problem, but the issue is (apparently) far worse in Asia. Something may also come out of Europe, though the issue doesn't seem to be as severe over there (at first glance anyway).

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2008, 11:49:17 AM »

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2008, 12:55:42 PM »

Oh, shit. That's right behind where I live. Cool.
Quote from: Brentai
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2008, 02:51:15 PM »

You live in Montreal????

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2008, 04:23:54 PM »

::(:
It's never easy to tell just where the line is between physical malady and the general crushing horror of life itself.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 22, 2008, 06:49:33 AM »

Don't you remember me taunting him to try and speak his non-native french outside the city?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 23, 2008, 10:24:15 AM »

I don't know why I thought Fred lived out west then.

ANYWAY...

Bilingualism is good! In my case it makes the difference between a 45k/year salary* and $12/hr ::D:

*er hopefully anyway. I find out next week.

Fredward

• a romantic soul
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 23, 2008, 10:44:38 AM »

Well, that's because I did, until I moved out here for school. Which is incidentally why I was complaining about the weather. You see, it all connects. :slow:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 27, 2008, 08:19:59 PM »

For all the Canadians who don't read the news all that regularly, a disaster of epic proportions is brewing: We may have another election within a month and a half.

Harper Goverment decideds to play Chicken with Parliament - and the Canadian people - all for their own political gain during a time of international crisis.

Poison pill. Without this, the mini-budget might have been swallowed, but noooooo... Of course, the mini-budget is pretty bad as it is.

Relevant commentary/Coles Notes for the Americans.

So this is just the initial bombshell and things could still go any which way. The Liberals could cave (oddly enough, as bad a position as they're in, I wouldn't bet money on it), the Harperites could back down (possibly as a result of public outcry... certainly nothing anybody says in Parliament will change their minds), a coalition could be formed between the opposition parties (unlikely, but still within the realm of possibility), or we could go to the polls, with a result that'd be anybody's guess at this point. Would Canadians grant Harper his sought-after majority? Would he suffer the wrath of the electorate Mulroney-style? Or will we be right. Back. Where. We. Are. Now?

We are so fucked. THANKS STEVE!

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 28, 2008, 08:07:51 PM »

This should be where her majesty's representative steps in to try to fix things up.  After all, if the commons cannot man up, the duty rests firmly in the upper house if not the Commander in Chief to fix things up before they get out of hand.

Where is her excelency?

SCD

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 28, 2008, 08:11:54 PM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2008, 10:09:35 PM »

Arc

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 30, 2008, 08:59:28 PM »

Dion is finished with not being Prime Minister!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 30, 2008, 09:05:30 PM »

Yeah, the liberal leadership thing is still waaaaaaaaay up in the air. Both in context of this mess and in May.

But it looks like the Harper government is going to fall. Which will be a record for the shortest government in Canadian history.

I don't know that it's going to happen now, but one thing I want to see what it will look like on the day when Harper finally loses his ironbound control and his minions finally turn on him. Because he's not the kind of man who has friends. Just differences in the degree to which his enemies hate him.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 01, 2008, 09:25:40 AM »

To those of you who doesn't follow Canadian politics, this is a man who shakes hands with his wife as a display of affection.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 45