Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6

Author Topic: Me Gridlock  (Read 10967 times)

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Me Gridlock
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 11:58:01 PM »

Not really going to get into your first remark, because that was just an ass pull example of something Republicans would be shouting from the rooftops had they done it, even if they'd been eating babies on the Senate floor to get it done, but your second remark is spot on, except that people knew Rocky won.

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2010, 04:16:09 AM »

At least Rocky Balboa stayed in the ring until the fight was over. Obama seems to throw in the compromise towel whenever things look like they're going to be a little difficult.

In the eyes of progressives, Obama is basically in bed with the republicans. He swoops in and compromises even when there isn't room or reason for one, and gives them plenty of time to build up opposition instead of mobilizing his party to get shit done. If he'd put his foot down and gotten his party in line - like Dubya did dozens of times during his presidency, which, by the way is why he was so effective in furthering republican legislation - we would have gotten a health care bill that wasn't more or less a thinly veiled corporate giveaway, the only beneficial parts of which don't even come into play until 2014, and we wouldn't all be eating crow and pretending we're enjoying it every time someone brings up what a huge piece of shit the bill is. If he'd done the strong leader thing a few more times it wouldn't be so easy for the republican media (namely being fox news) to come in and prey on everyone's doubts. We had a 60 seat senate, for fuck's sake. What's the excuse for failing so hard?

if anyone asks 'what could Obama have done differently' - he's the head of the Democratic Party. Pull support, kick people out, whatever. Who was going to go against Obama when he was still everybody's magic negro? They would have grumbled and complained and probably had bitch sessions on the senate floor, but they would have fallen in fucking line if he'd stood up and been a leader and made the right decisions.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 05:01:19 AM »

The thing to remember about Barack Obama and every democrat in the Senate is that they each make way more than 250,000 a year.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2010, 09:15:31 AM »

if anyone asks 'what could Obama have done differently' - he's the head of the Democratic Party. Pull support, kick people out, whatever.

Spend that half-hour on TV pointing out that Republicans just filibustered healthcare for 9/11 first responders instead of bawling out the people who voted for you...

Don't get me wrong, I think I'm inclined to agree with Mongrel inasmuch as the DADT repeal is something I never expected to happen during Obama's first term.  (The middle-class tax cut extension and the first responder health bill, on the other hand, were CERTAIN to pass, and the Dems didn't have to give up ANYTHING on them.)  We've seen some successes this past couple of weeks, and they ARE heartening.  But he's also right that we could have gotten better deals, and while Obama may benefit politically that doesn't translate to the country benefiting.

Good luck passing the DREAM Act at this point.  And that thing's a fucking no-brainer as far as I'm concerned.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2010, 09:58:27 AM »

My favorite is Obama taking credit on the Republicans caving on the START treaty.  Like there was any goddam chance they'd let that go and give him the opportunity to blame them for restarting the fucking Cold War.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2010, 11:57:38 AM »

WSJ:

WASHINGTON—A Senate deal to fund the federal government until early March doesn't include money to enact the health-care overhaul or stepped up regulation of Wall Street, boosting Republican efforts to curb key elements of President Barack Obama's domestic agenda.

So we're looking at the '95-style budget showdown come March.

The major difference being that Obama isn't Clinton.  We'll see how he trumpets his success at passing mediocre healthcare and financial regulation after he lets the Republicans defund them.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2013, 02:13:18 PM »

I thought we had a thread for this.

Anyway, whether or not the latest round of bullshit posturing consitutes genuine gridlock, I think this was the quote of the week:

Quote from: ewie
So apparently if it's a legitimate bill, the House has ways to shut that whole thing down.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 03:47:50 PM »

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 05:11:35 PM »

Quote from: The Onion
Any harm that may occur to you during the shutdown will still affect your body in real life. Essentially, if you die in the shutdown, you die for real.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 04:29:58 AM »

My favorite thing about the shutdown is that it doesn't affect ObamaCare at all but does indefinitely suspend the issue of firearm licenses.

Did... did the GOP just get briar patched?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2013, 04:02:06 AM »

That one is a classic.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2013, 08:31:34 AM »

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2013, 09:28:42 AM »

Wait, you mean it's not pronounced identically to "Boner"?

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2013, 09:30:36 AM »

Bay-ner.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2013, 09:58:44 AM »

"It's Boo-kay!"

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2013, 10:26:52 AM »

I know Gawker links are not good, but...
JUST LOOK AT THIS SHIT.

GOP Congressman makes park ranger apologize for closure of the WWII Memorial.

This guy represents the areas of Texas including Lubbock and Abilene.

I am so glad I don't call people like this and Louie Gohmert my representative anymore.  I can get out of calling Gohmert my former congressman because I never actually voted for the asshole.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2013, 04:05:24 PM »

My favorite thing about the shutdown is that it doesn't affect ObamaCare at all but does indefinitely suspend the issue of firearm licenses.

Did... did the GOP just get briar patched?

Today they showed up in lab coats and speechified about how cruel it is for the Democrats to deny healthcare to people.

I think they're full-on living in Bizarro World.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2013, 04:39:30 PM »

Well I mean the post above you is a guy bitching out a ranger for not disobeying him, despite the fact that said ranger was, in fact, disobeying him.

You need a flowchart to figure out all the contradictions in that scenario.  Man complains that government is not not doing what he wants despite government not not not doing what he wants.

So GOP complaining the government is simply not doing what GOP wants it to not do is relatively shallow on the stacked negative logic error scale at this point.

(It's just one thing after the next.)

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 05:00:54 PM »

This would be a very frustrating week to play the, "Is this paragraph from The Onion or an actual news source," game.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6