Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: That Spider-Man Thread  (Read 4845 times)

Royal☭

• Supreme Court Judge President
  • Tested
    • View Profile
That Spider-Man Thread
« on: March 22, 2011, 05:31:14 AM »

Since we have one for Batman AND Wonder-Woman, felt it was time we showed Spider-man some love.

First teaser video for Ultimate Spider-man premiered at C2E2. Get it before a copyright claim takes it down

Spider-man Cartoon Coming in Early Summer 2012

Looks interesting. Much darker than Spectacular Spider-man, which I always liked for its vivid colors.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: That Spider-Man Thread
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 07:22:42 AM »

Did he just take out Paste-Pot Pete?

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2011, 07:36:36 PM »

First teaser video for Ultimate Spider-man premiered at C2E2. Get it before a copyright claim takes it down

Too late.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 07:44:52 PM »

The art looks like the Ultimate Spider-Man game.  And seems to be dark in more than just art direction.

Man. I'm pretty sure I'm going to miss Spectacular EVEN MORE when this show comes out

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 08:00:54 PM »

Saw some grabs over at Bleeding Cool.  Fury on the signal watch leads me to wonder if it's set in the same world as the Avengers toon (they've already had cameos by Wolverine and the Fantastic Four), though Fury's pure Samuel L Jackson here and has a soul patch and a head of hair in Avengers.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 06:53:50 PM »

NECRO.
So thanks to watching a lot of DC superhero stuff through youTube, I'm getting Ultimate Spider-Man stuff in the suggestion column.
Apparently, it's out, but has Disney's watchdogs on it so I can't just youTube an episode or two and decide if it's worth the trouble of watching properly.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 12:26:26 AM »

It's a Disney cartoon.
Which isn't necessarily bad, Gargoyles was Disney.

It's an Ultimate series thing which follows Spider-man as he's approached by SHIELD. Since it's Disney, I guess they've basically got unlimited animated rights to Marvel stuff, so they're taking advantage of it to make it a team-up show with a steady core cast of superheroes and a clusterfuck of Ultimate continuity.

Also it has a lot of asides from Spider-man (explaining above continuity) and a lot of his imaginings put onto the screen. So, they're having Peter Parker bite off of Doug Funnie. Which maybe works?

At least it hasn't retread Spectacular Spider-man.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »

(THAD EDIT: Splitmerged in; originally mistakenly posted in Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics.)

Someone just scanned all of Amazing Spider-Man #698 to 4chan.

Get it while it's hot, or prepare to dodge spoilers for the next two fucking days, because the cat's out of the bag. And PLEASE use spoiler tags in the thread, or I'm sure Thad will eat your soul.

https://boards.4chan.org/co/res/43067432

It's safe to say though that 1. Slott wasn't kidding around 2. holy shit 3. HOLY SHIT

I haven't been this excited about a comic in years. The buildup was amazing. So much suspense. Can't wait to see where it goes.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Comics for People Who Don't Read Comics
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 05:28:59 PM »

Hahahahaha oh WOW.

I know some of you guys are enjoying this, but that just makes me triple-glad I don't read those things anymore. I mean, I am just going to bask for a moment here in the survivor's satisfaction.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 05:33:33 PM »

Cute.

I look forward to them retconning it in a year.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 06:52:50 PM »

no way man this is totally the status quo now this will be in the fucking movies

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2012, 06:57:37 PM »

Ha! Yeah, Slott is totally going to get death threats for this.

Romosome

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2012, 07:33:47 PM »

I actually was posting that because I enjoyed it and wanted to discuss it, not as an invitation for people to loudly proclaim how cool they are for not liking it.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2012, 07:59:05 PM »

I don't feel cool per se. It's more like being the crass guy who's first thought on seeing a bus run over by a train is "thank god that wasn't me in there".

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 08:09:36 PM »

So what he's saying romo, is exactly what I told you on IRC. He's an asshole.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 08:25:37 PM »

He's an asshole.

A well-established fact.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 08:58:47 PM »

Well, I liked it! [spoiler]I think it's neat to see the old 'switch bodies with the hero' scheme actually work out for the villain for once. Plus, Doc Ock as Peter, not just Doc Ock as Spider-Man has potential, and now the Superior Spider-Man title makes perfect sense.[/spoiler]

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 09:01:26 PM »

I actually was posting that because I enjoyed it and wanted to discuss it, not as an invitation for people to loudly proclaim how cool they are for not liking it.

Romo, I can appreciate a well-crafted story. I think Dan Slott's written an interesting twist here and I applaud him for it.

However, how many comic book superheroes have we had die in the past ten years only to see them come back to life? Five? Maybe ten? Has it really changed anything, long-term? How long did Captain America stay dead? Batman? Superboy? Johnny Storm? Did anyone even notice that Hercules had died? I mean, come on, they even revived Mockingbird, Barry Allen and Hal Jordan, just to balance the books.

There comes a point when you really just get fatigued with The Big Two's efforts to "shake things up" and "change everything FOREVER". Eventually another writer's going to come along and want to write something that requires the Way Things Were, and things will go back to that. Heck, we're practically an engagement ring [spoiler]and a brain-swap[/spoiler] away from pre-One More Day status quo.

It's not that I don't like it. I think it's fine. But I recognize that, like all controversies and cherry pits, this too shall pass.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »

I don't see why my dick opinion post (I'm not claiming or asking for any sort of high ground here) should really be a big issue given the thread. I wouldn't normally carp about "inappropriate thread" (don't we have like two or three other Spider-Man threads? Or maybe those were all for cartoons only? Eh...), but in this thread of all places, I figure it's okay to voice a dislike for mainstream North American comics. Which I generally dislike.

I was telling Buge earlier, the worst criticism I can level at a work of fiction is to call it "soap-operatic", which to me means it ultimately goes nowhere, does nothing, and has no meaning. This really doesn't feel any different at all other than it's been dialed up one more notch than usual. In fact, it feels bankrupt.

I mean, for god's sake, why was Peter Parker of all characters entrenched as Marvel's character-destruction whipping boy? We've now had over twenty years of mind and body copies/swaps and various life-ruining storylines (in excess of the normal superhero allotment, I mean). Is Peter absolving some kind of Steve Ditko original sin or something?

But regardless of thread quibbles, I don't see why my sneering opinion should dissuade anybody from enjoying it if they want to.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 09:44:09 PM »

I mean, for god's sake, why was Peter Parker of all characters entrenched as Marvel's character-destruction whipping boy?

Because he's where it STARTED, dude.

We've now had over twenty years of mind and body copies/swaps and various life-ruining storylines (in excess of the normal superhero allotment, I mean).

We're actually just a few short months away from forty.

Is Peter absolving some kind of Steve Ditko original sin or something?

Romita.  Romita started it.

Then Claremont, Byrne, Wolfman, and Perez entrenched it.  But it all started with Spider-Man.

Ditko, for the record, never gut-punched Spidey like that -- not after the origin story, anyway.  Spider-Man's victories were always bittersweet and lonely, but there was never any doubt that he did the right thing and it made a difference.

I suppose the biggest non-Uncle Ben tragedy of the Ditko run would probably be Betty Brant's brother.  But he was a guy who'd already fallen in with a bad crowd and, in Ditko fashion, brought his fate on himself.  It was a tragedy, and it was certainly personal for Betty, but it wasn't personal for Peter -- he failed to save someone, and it was someone close to someone he cared about, but it wasn't anybody he really knew personally.

The Romita/Lee run continued much the same along those lines, really.  Romita didn't actually pitch Gwen's death until after he was off the book.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4