Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: PSN got leaks  (Read 13813 times)

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: PSN got leaks
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 01:15:25 PM »

oh good, Kotaku is one of those idiotic sites that auto redirects to their mobile version even if it 404s and won't let you manually correct and has no custom 404 page.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:45:39 PM »

What kills me about the PSN thing is that I don't know what my password was for it and what email I used, making it difficult to know what ones will require a change if there was any overlap. I think there was. I'm just not sure what it was.

Fuck.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 02:11:20 PM »

oh good, Kotaku is one of those idiotic sites that auto redirects to their mobile version even if it 404s and won't let you manually correct and has no custom 404 page.

A security breach in the Playstation Network by still unidentified hackers resulted in stolen personal information, Sony confirmed today.

The news comes more than nine days after the intrusion and six days after Sony shut down both the Playstation Network and Qriocity services in reaction to the breach. Sony says they've hired a "recognized security firm" to conduct a complete investigation into what happened and have taken steps to enhance security and strengthen network infrastructure.

"We have discovered that between April 17 and April 19, 2011, certain PlayStation Network and Qriocity service user account information was compromised in connection with an illegal and unauthorized intrusion into our network," Patrick Seybold, senior director of corporate communications for Sony Computer Entertainment of America, wrote on the official Playstation Blog today.

Among the possible information stolen:
Name
Address (city, state, zip)
Country
Email address
Birthdate
PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login and handle/PSN online ID.

There is no evidence that credit card data was taken, Seybold writes, but they company cannot rule out that possibility.

" If you have provided your credit card data through PlayStation Network or Qriocity, out of an abundance of caution we are advising you that your credit card number (excluding security code) and expiration date may have been obtained," he wrote.

Sony is encouraging users to be especially aware of potential phishing scams from people using email, phone calls and mail to try and extract more personal or sensitive information from you. Sony also is strongly recommending that you change you password once you're able to log back into the Playstation Network.

"To protect against possible identity theft or other financial loss, we encourage you to remain vigilant, to review your account statements and to monitor your credit reports," Seybold wrote

"We thank you for your patience as we complete our investigation of this incident, and we regret any inconvenience. Our teams are working around the clock on this, and services will be restored as soon as possible. Sony takes information protection very seriously and will continue to work to ensure that additional measures are taken to protect personally identifiable information. Providing quality and secure entertainment services to our customers is our utmost priority. Please contact us at 1-800-345-7669 should you have any additional questions."

because the less people that visit kotaku, th e better.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:05:13 PM »

The more I read about this the more pissed off I actually get. Who the fuck stores all their shit in plaintext? Who the fuck sends packets of credit card information unencrypted, and saves it unencrypted?

I'm at least glad I deleted my credit card off the PSN a while back.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 03:13:33 PM »

Do you want to know the best thing about this?

Sony's latest change to the PSN TOS includes a clause that says they can save your CC information even after you delete it from your account.  :richiam:

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 03:27:59 PM »

Was that from the SCNA or whatever the fuck it is new entity doing it? Or was that the old SCEA TOS?

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 05:35:47 PM »

If nothing else, this generation has shown to an amazing degree just how much of Sony's past success relied on their competitors being more retarded than they are.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »

Some of the more brain-deficient sony apologists are now pointing to the fact that Modern Warfare 2 on xbox live is completely infested with phishers as some sort of proof that microsoft's security is just as bad.

lol wut.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 01:26:50 PM »

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 01:28:22 PM »

On the bright side, PS3s are gonna drop in price so hard.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 01:36:26 PM »

There's that I guess. I still need to get my A01 model repaired from YLOD.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 10:06:37 AM »

Okay, so Anonymous is denying being responsible for the PSN outtage.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but given the very nature of Anonymous, that seems like kind of a difficult thing for them to deny. I always assumed that Anonymous was more or less what the Ghost in the Shell anime called a Stand Alone Complex. Yeah, they'll band together and organize a DDoS attack every once in a while, but there's no centralized governing body, just a loose association of individuals acting toward a basic goal.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 11:12:40 AM »

I've always thought that Anonymous had some key players that were basically in control of the situation, and there's enough communication between them that they'd know what was up.

I didn't read that article because I read another one like it a while ago, but the one I read included Anonymous saying something like "well, y'know, maybe it was a smaller group of us, but we don't know and aren't saying. Just know that it wasn't the bulk of us."

I'm inclined to believe them, really. Usually they're all about claiming their actions, and usually their actions are vigilantism; this is downright malevolence.

Edit: okay, yeah. That article includes the bit where "we can't really be sure about every single member's actions."

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 12:23:25 PM »

This is the new PSN topic.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 12:27:18 PM »

Anonymous probably doesn't have any sort of member structure outside of a few "leaders". Everyone else just says that they are a part of it. It isn't hard to imagine that the hackers identify themselves as anonymous and decided to leave their "LOL ANON PWNT YOU" message.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 01:51:32 PM »

The attack does not even come close to fitting with Anonymous's MO, so you can't indict them just based on motive.  And blaming Anonymous for weakening the system is the worst kind of doublespeak.  If anything, the Anon attacks should put Sony on its guard, but instead they Bushed on it until a fucking disaster occurred.  Not they're pointing their fingers like little children who just got caught with their hands in each other's underwear.  YOU ARE A NATIONAL EMBARASSMENT.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2011, 02:18:26 PM »

Anon isn't a group as groups are traditionally defined. They have no charter, no membership rites, no list of members, no identifying insignias except when pathetically protesting Scientology in real life, and no leader.

I've always thought that Anonymous had some key players that were basically in control of the situation

No. Nobody is in control of Anonymous, to any degree. They are akin to a rioting mob. The mob sees something to loot/break/fuck with, and it suddenly diverts to do so.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2011, 02:23:37 PM »

Also, saying "Anonymous did PSN" is akin to saying "Americans did PSN". While perhaps technically accurate, it's vague to the point of uselessness.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2011, 05:22:23 PM »

But... we know they're dangerous! They blew up a van and everything!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8