Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8

Author Topic: PSN got leaks  (Read 13759 times)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: PSN got leaks
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2011, 12:37:55 PM »

I'm gonna be kind of pissed if they offer identity theft protection and don't take any rainchecks, because my ITP renewed for a year yesterday.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2011, 12:40:50 PM »

It's probably got or will get some kind of limited liability.
Also this information seems to come from Aintaer, and I forget if his hearsay is of an unusually high quality or not.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2011, 01:38:34 PM »

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2011, 02:51:32 PM »

Also, I hear Sony is offering $1,000,000 Identity Fraud Insurance to US customers. AND a free month of PSN+!
I am perfectly reliable.

Perhaps, dear Aintaer, you misunderstood me. I don't believe you actually like Monster Hunter.
Karma++

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2011, 11:11:09 PM »

I don't think anyone involved in this understands that they might have changed gaming forever. That nice casual market that pays for so many of  the games we actually like is pretty terrified of the PS3 now thanks to this. If Sony can't sell Home and Move games to anyone anymore, do you really think they'll want to dump money into another Fumito Ueda project? Gaming really can't afford to live without the lowest common denominator anymore. Maybe at one point, but not now.

The lowest common denominator's not buying PS3's, it's buying iPhones.  And last I checked, Apple's it's-not-a-bug-it's-a-feature unencrypted transfer of your location data hadn't hurt its market share.

You know how Fox news thought pedophiles could get at kids through pictochat; and Nintendo created the worst online service in the industry, built entirely around the idea of never letting that happen?

I really doubt Nintendo of Japan's incompetence at network functionality can be traced to a Fox News story about a Nintendo device that already had really shitty network functionality.  Sure, the American bosses play up the "safety" of Nintendo's completely asinine approach to online gaming, but the simpler explanation is that Nintendo is more interested in input design than taking notes on its competitors' advances in things like online gaming and skippable cutscenes.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 07, 2011, 02:53:52 AM »

If anything they're killing the hardcore gamer market.  More.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2011, 03:32:54 AM »

The hardcore market, if there is such a thing, pretty much moved to PC.

Nickasummers

• Beep
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 07, 2011, 04:40:38 AM »

The hardcore market, if there is such a thing, pretty much moved to PC.
This is exactly what I have been telling people. And yet, somehow large numbers of people don't even realize there are any real PC gamers, which is a real shame because some of the best games ever released were PC-exclusive. There were just a couple of years where very few good PC games were released, and around the same time legal digital distribution started to became more common, but was not factored into most sales statistics. Suddenly it looked like PC games were dead and the less sensible developers stopped making PC games entirely, and now nobody knows they exist.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 07, 2011, 06:14:46 AM »

Surely nobody knows about Portal 2.

Classic

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 07, 2011, 06:34:32 AM »

That doesn't count. It's a casual game.
Also I owe you a karma don't I?

EDIT:
I'm not actually sure if that was sarcastic.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2011, 09:12:43 AM »

When I went to play 2-player Portal 2 with someone who had just beaten it, I hadn't yet even touched either game.

I was way better than him at it. He got mad and quit because WHY SHOULD SOMEONE WHO HAS NEVER PLAYED BEFORE BE GOOD AT THIS OMFG?!!1

So it was pretty much the opposite-but-same problem Zero Punctuation mentioned about ball-and-chain.

Why is everyone yelling at me to play Demons' Souls? And what's this about I should have switched to PC gaming years ago?

It's taken 20 years but... FUCK consoles.

I told my friends ten years ago that one day consoles and PCs would merge. They essentially have, now. Insofar as consoles made PCs more popular through software proliferation and then started dying through generalization.
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2011, 10:03:45 AM »

I don't think consoles made PCs more popular at all. Yes, there are more console games on PC now than ever before, but no one switches platform to play the PC version of a console game. The thing that made PCs explode over the last three or four years is, basically, Steam and digital distribution in general. Nowhere is it a more viable and open market than on the PC. XBLA and PSN have marketplaces, but those are closed platforms with their own shit that you've got to navigate with a controller, and spend Microsoft funbucks, and all kinds of shit. The PC is offering digital distribution as a service. You can download Steam, browse their never diminishing library of games, pay your money and it's yours for life.

It doesn't even matter what kind of gamer you are. There's as much for your Peggle loving mom on Steam as there is for the neck-beared strategy warrior with the tattoo of Normandy on his back, as there is for the twitch shooting caffeine addict, and so on.

And then when you're tired of playing games, it's a computer.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2011, 10:58:28 AM »

And then when you're tired of playing games, it's a computer.

Which would have been a great selling point for the PS3.

Anyhow.  I've become more of a PC gamer myself in recent years, and as much as anything it's because most of the A-list Xbox titles come out on PC, I already own a PC, and my PC has yet to give me a Red Ring of Death.

The biggest drawback to PC gaming (from my perspective) is the increasingly stupid DRM hoops companies like EA keep employing.  To the best of my knowledge nobody was prevented from playing the Xbox version of Dragon Age 2 when the authentication servers went down.

Of course, if you fall somewhere in the middle of the somewhat-arbitrary casual-versus-hardcore spectrum, ie you want to play Call of Duty but don't want to install and configure your own graphics card, consoles hit a sweet spot for being much less hassle to simply hook up and play.  (And in many cases cheaper than high-end graphics cards.)

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2011, 11:33:40 AM »

I own a ton of X-Box games for my PC too, I was just saying that it doesn't seem to me that, owning an X-Box and not a gaming PC, you'd make the switch for those same games. So maybe existing PC gamers are gaming more, but console gamers aren't going to suddenly make the switch.

the asshole you hate

• Marketing and
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2011, 02:16:25 PM »

I don't think consoles made PCs more popular at all.

The thing is, if it weren't for those console games being ported to PC the PC fanbase might have been smaller. I submit that it in fact WOULD have been. Just because nobody switched doesn't mean the one didn't influence the other. Maybe I was unclear.
It was a fun visit. I hope someday someone figures out what I was saying in this post. Bye!

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2011, 04:54:39 PM »

It's also worth pointing out that the average PC has always lasted far longer than the average console. I'm not just talking about red ring of death stuff, but the overall lifespan.

Consoles have planned obsolescence built right into them. I know you can upgrade modern ones a bit, but they're still frozen in time in a far more rigid way than PCs will ever be. You can have a PC that's almost ten years old and will still play at least a few new games. Consoles? You'll be at least three full generations down the line.

NexAdruin

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2011, 05:15:08 PM »

I was going to say the opposite, Mongrel. When I first built this computer (a few years ago) it could do anything gaming-wise. Currently I don't even fit the minimum reqs for Homefront (although I'm only off by .1GHz).

Nickasummers

• Beep
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2011, 05:20:36 PM »

The thing about a PC is that as long as you don't care about having bleeding-edge performance, you can upgrade over time and have something that works fine for a lot longer than a console, but the cost is spread out enough that it feels like less money when its probably closer to the same amount. The thing I like about PC is that if you are willing to pay more, you can get WAY better than any console, and if you have a smaller budget, you can get "good enough" for less in the long run.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2011, 07:14:35 PM »

I'm with Mongrel on this one. While you can occasionally get hosed if you don't do your research and build right before a major architecture upgrade, my computer is 2 and a half years old with a video card over 3 years old and I can run most current games at high settings.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2011, 08:21:30 PM »

I imagine you have Tactics Ogre and...?
Nope. inFamous and... uh... shit. I'll get back to you on the other one.

Any speculation as to what this'll do for Sony in the long run? Heck, for gaming in the long run?
Honestly, I know everyone's not happy, but dang. I could overlook being hacked. My info stolen. Shit happens. (It sucks, but it happens.) I can understand it being down for a week. Shit happens.
Being down for almost a MONTH? No. Unacceptable. That's WAY too long. I understand they are fixing it, but this is too fucking long. They've got it fixed. It's been fixed for a while. I assume they are just sitting back and debating on what exactly to give away to get in good graces again without losing too much money.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8