Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Ins and outs of a MegaMan X style platformer?  (Read 2636 times)

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
Re: Ins and outs of a MegaMan X style platformer?
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 09:47:03 AM »

Also, is game maker a good choice to use? Or should I use something else?

Game Maker is great for prototyping an idea.  It has all the basic tools there for someone who understands code to implement several kinds of games.  However Game Maker is not terribly efficient in terms of performance, I wouldn't use it for anything you'd plan to charge money for.  Collision detection in it is very hit and miss.  Then again, I haven't used it since the YoYo Games buyout.  Looks like they're on Version 8, I last worked with 6.  In my software design class, we had to use this to build a game, and we actually were one of the more interesting results the professor had seen in a while.  (Top-down tank game.)

Halfway down this page, you will find tutorial links that are a good starting point.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Amuro Ray

• TOTAL DORK
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2011, 02:51:00 PM »

So you're going to be able to buy new weapons, double jump, maybe triple jump, and hovering (maybe). Now since it's just level after level I was wondering if I should put the shop at the end of the level, or should I put them in the levels like Scott Pilgrim?

Also the project has moved to C# and XNA 4.

Edit: Also, for the art style one thought was the whole "The level tiles are pure black, and the background is something artsy" Should I go for that? Would it be cheaper to pay someone to go for that style (I.E. a pixel artist)?

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2011, 06:10:55 PM »

Would MegaMan X fans like it?

OKay dude, that's a whole problem right there. There are two possibilities.

-You like Megaman X, in which case you can answer your own question.
-You don't like Megaman X, in which case you are the last person on Earth who should be designing a game inspired by Megaman X.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2011, 06:12:08 PM »

"The level tiles are pure black, and the background is something artsy" Should I go for that?

No.

Amuro Ray

• TOTAL DORK
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2011, 07:37:06 PM »

Would MegaMan X fans like it?

OKay dude, that's a whole problem right there. There are two possibilities.

-You like Megaman X, in which case you can answer your own question.
-You don't like Megaman X, in which case you are the last person on Earth who should be designing a game inspired by Megaman X.
Ah, good point. Thank you for catching that. I myself am a huge MegaMan X Fan, and I think the all black level style is cool, so others most likely will as well.

"The level tiles are pure black, and the background is something artsy" Should I go for that?

No.
Okay, mind telling me why?

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 27, 2011, 07:48:08 PM »

Personally I could see pure black working, but it can't be squares and tiles. If you're working with silhouettes you absolutely need to have interesting shapes. If you don't have detail in the colors and various designs/patterns, you need to have detail in those shapes. And if you do go that way, you have to spend at least much time and effort crafting your pure black shapes as you would have spent making something more ordinary in color. If you do black because you think it'll take less effort, it'll show, it'll look lazy, and it'll be terrible.

Fair warning though: I don't care for Megaman X, so take my advice with a little something something. :whoops:

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2011, 07:53:56 PM »

Pure black does not look good at all. You need to have some good shadows going on for it to look anything other than lazy. Unless of course you aren't talking about a "dark level", which in that case it still looks bad.
Pages: 1 [2]