Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12

Author Topic: Stupid videogame playing stories.  (Read 23942 times)

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Stupid videogame playing stories.
« on: June 15, 2011, 06:51:48 AM »

This is a thread to talk about how you've done stupid stuff in games. Here's one I am stealing about Hitman Blood Money.

Quote from: Some guy from Something Awful
Blood Money's shoddy cover "system" can be hilarious sometimes. Yesterday I was playing the Mardi Gras level. I knocked out the courier, killed the female assassin and used a waiter disguise to find out where the male assassin was* (business as usual). He was in the room above the latin bar, which has lots of things to hide behind. While doing so, I noticed his sniper rifle leaning against a piano and I promptly got a wonderful idea: I would steal his sniper rifle without him noticing.

Turns out, that wasn't all that hard with all the cover and the AI's limited awareness. I threw the sniper rifle in the kitchen below where it landed on the sink, yet the cook didn't gave it all that much attention. I grabbed the courier's disguise (luckily I didn't hide him in a container with his suit still on) and delivered the payment for the assassination. Then real life intervened for a bit, but I left the game running with 47 back as a waiter in the latin bar.

A half hour later I returned to find an empty room above the bar, a sniper rifle still on the sink and a politician still alive and breathing. Being very curious I used the map to locate where the male assassin had gone, only to find him in the same room as his boss. If they talked to each other, well... that must have been one awkward conversation.

*I deliberately decided against using the map to locate targets.

Wait.. say that again... you LOST your sniper rifle?

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid videogame playing stories.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2011, 03:54:24 PM »

Not quite a story but when we Monster Huntered (me, patito et al.), we all knew the key to proper hunting was to announce "I got this." in a clear and loud voice. Whenever we failed missions it was likely because I didn't announce that I got this.

Of course, patito's fervor for introducing Gravios to his hammer always led to one of us being unceremoniously flung out with his hammer swings. You can't fault him because he just looks at you and shrugs. Or when he uses the lance charge and ends it by stabbing me in the back.
"Goddammit patito!"
"What? I'm helping!"

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2011, 04:30:44 PM »

if the hammer-user sends you flying it's probably your fault and not his tbqh.

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2011, 04:39:13 PM »

Uhh the hammer unsheathe attack sends flying, along with the triple pound. April, the other huntress, is actually helpful by doing that when one of us is low on health and about to be hit.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2011, 05:46:08 PM »

There's these floor traps in Spiral Knights that consist of a floor tile filled with holes from which spikes pop in and out every few seconds. One time I died from stepping on one and had no energy left to revive. Another party member who was otherwise preoccupied with fighting gave me half of his health (only one bar) so that I could revive.

I revived while the spikes were up, killing myself again in the exact same trap.

>TeganNobody: FFS

Norondor

• Where I'm at is: Fuck you, get shot
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2011, 06:09:46 PM »

Uhh the hammer unsheathe attack sends flying, along with the triple pound. April, the other huntress, is actually helpful by doing that when one of us is low on health and about to be hit.

yeah that's what cool people do

but i meant if you get super pounded

Crouton

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2011, 06:30:32 PM »

During a 3v3 in C&C: Tiberian Sun, my forces were completely wiped out save for one Harvester (ore gathering truck with no assault capabilities). After repairing at an ally's base, I would send it back out to gather armor/rank upgrades from random crate drops, mine the rare blue tiberium, and run over infantry units.

This lasted until the end of the round which we won, somewhere between 2-3 hours of running all over the map with a single, unarmed unit.

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 12:12:33 AM »

yeah that's what cool people do

but i meant if you get super pounded

Dont forget the longsword's focus attacks which tend to hit everything in a block radius

Aintaer

• My hubris!
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 05:49:35 AM »

The best part is greatsword's upswing also sends people flying, even if they get hit by the latter part with the sword swinging downward.

Zaratustra

• what
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Zaratustra Productions
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 06:12:08 AM »

AETHER!
AETHER!
AETHER!

Just last week I started healing an engineer in TF2 and happily followed him into the path of enemy sentries.

Wait why are the sentries killing me and not him.

Oh.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 09:22:05 PM »

Yesterday, I was doing some online games in Super Street Fighter 4 AE, and I got an Adon. Adon players are normally mediocre, and it's easy to punish them after they do just about anything. But I was getting frustrated, since he appeared to be both psychic and flawless, I had trouble hitting the fucker once, much less doing any real damage.

Then I noticed he had 19000 BP.

Then I noticed his name was Gamerbee.
After that, it was just pretty funny.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 12:55:37 AM »

Gamerbee is psychic! Give nothing take everything! At least it wasnt gameinn.

Edit: That reminded me of the first day of Marvel 3 and I lost to BLG FChamp.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2011, 07:48:03 PM »

So I was plying Muramasa today, and got to the part where you have to fight the animator from Monty Python.

Muramasa - Momohime's Story - Boss: Ippondatara

(Skip to abut 3:30)

After trying and failing three or four times, it started to really bug me that whatever Youtube person made this video was beating the boss in one go, despite being a far lower level and clearly not that much better a player than me. Eventually I powered through and just beat that thing senseless, earning me a new blade. I went into the equipment menu to test it out... and realized I was still using all of the default equipment. The only reason the boss gave me a hard time was because I was dealing maybe a fifth of the damage I was supposed to be able to at this point in the game.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2011, 07:49:39 PM »

Don't feel bad, Teg. You did unknowingly what others strive to accomplish.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2011, 08:23:51 PM »

I've heard tell of people beating dungeon crawls like Wizardry without ever equipping new stuff, but this was a Jr. High anecdote so I put zero stock in it.

On the other hand, during that period there were a few MUDding days, before I figured out that ' was an adequate replacement for "say" where I'd preface things with "say" without meaning to and without being able to salvage the sentence into something not insane sounding before I spoke it.

"Say Hi Dad! What's on-"

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2011, 11:07:05 PM »

the garbage chute in silent hill 2.

HOW THE FUCK WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW TO DROP THE SODA CANS ON THE GARBAGE TO DISLODGE IT

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2011, 11:16:07 PM »

Remember how I had some terminally roundabout solution for everything in Megaman 9 which would normally be solved with Concrete Shot?  Good times.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2011, 12:51:17 PM »

So there's a pretty infamous section in Silent Hill: Homecoming where pretty much every single person who never beat the game gave up: near the end of the Hotel, you run into three Nurses who are each substantially tougher than the rabble Nurses you stabbed to death before. I ran into this section and, yeah, stopped playing it. Months later, I started up a new game and managed to beat that section by exploiting the admittedly pretty neat AI that the nurses have (loud noises and bright lights attract them, so they actually don't respond to you if you turn off your flashlight and calmly walk by them).

Ten minutes later I get to the part where I have to ESCAPE FROM THE POLICE DEPARTMENT ISN'T YOUR BLOOD PUMPING?

So I stopped playing and never touched it ever again.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2011, 07:09:32 PM »

So guys I didn't realize there was an air recover technique in Muramasa until the path leading up to the final boss.

To compensate for my new knowledge, I promptly forgot how to perform the drawn-back slash right as I tried the "Seven Samurai" challenge, which practically requires it.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2011, 04:46:55 AM »

I was playing a video game at 12:00 AM on January 1st 2000.

The video game? Shadow Madness.

Speaking of Shadow Madness, I've beaten it four times.

Hard Core.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12