Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: That Twilighty Show About That Zone  (Read 1547 times)

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
That Twilighty Show About That Zone
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:51:22 AM »

You know what's surprisingly fun to watch? Old Twilight Zone episodes.

I torrented the entire series the other day. It's neat to see a cultural artifact like this: one of those things that's constantly ripped off or parodied, but almost never actually watched anymore.

Also I have yet to hit a bad episode so there's that.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: That Twilighty Show About That Zone
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 08:34:57 AM »

The attempts at remakes are always terrible. How many episodes were there, anyway? Now that I think about it, that would be something cool to--

-Number of discs: 28
-Run Time: 4524 minutes

:pop:

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2011, 08:35:42 AM »

Old Twilight Zone episodes are pretty fuckawesome.

For some reason that reminds me of old episodes of In Search Of. They were dated and full of goofy information even back when they were new, but I've never seen a better show for scaring the shit out of people. Just something about the atmosphere, the lighting choices, and (of course) Leonard Nimoy's narration combines for an incredibly cold creepiness.

Even now there's a hell of a lot a modern director could learn from that show about creating a truly scary atmosphere, without even presenting any really horrific material.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 07:58:23 PM »

I love the Twilight Zone format; I wish it were tried more often these days, and I wish the shows that DID try it managed to do it right.

GF and I have been watching Alfred Hitchcock Presents, which of course is along the same anthology lines and is now available via Netflix Streaming.  However, it appears that a few episodes in the sound gets out of synch.  (Anybody else have this problem?  I'm almost certain it's at Netflix's end because it didn't happen on the first few episodes and it doesn't happen on other streaming stuff we've watched since.)

Really the whole format reminds me of EC Comics, and of course all this was going on around the same time.  I'd love to see more shit like it, in any medium.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2011, 09:02:54 PM »

I can't think of any specific episodes that are always out of sync, but if you have to pay close attention to notice I probably just wasn't.

The show could also be nothing but Hitchcock's bits and it would have been the best thing ever to be on T.V.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2011, 11:07:39 PM »

I've noticed a couple instances of sound out of sync on a few things. I switched from my PS3 to laptop when that happens and it gets rid of the problem. I just assumed it was a Thing That Happens with PS3s.

Ocksi

• Guy on a buffalo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2011, 12:53:09 AM »

Only somewhat related: I never watched the Twilight Zone before high school, being born in '85 and all.  But for IB students, we could substitute a year-long logic class in exchange for a semester of gym, sacrificing an elective for the second semester.

The first semester of that class was learning basic logic problems.  The second semester was watching issues of the Twilight Zone and identifying and explaining either the issues with the protagonists or the antagonists, depending on who was being illogical in the episode.  The final exam for the class was the episode where a dude's car breaks down and he ends up going to a castle on a hill, owned and operated by the devil.

It was really the best class ever.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 05:00:41 AM »

For Language Arts in 6th grade we once read the original short story of that episode of the Twilight Zone where mankind is visited by a race of technologically-advanced pig men, seemingly benevolent, who within their first few months of appearing have helped cure all disease, virtually eliminate crime, provide limitless energy supplies, end all war and generally settle us down into a nice little utopia. They even carry around little booklets entitled "To Serve Man", doubtless a guidebook for their altruistic efforts. And if you'd like, you can take part in one of their many exchange groups, a ten-year journey to their home planet!

I remember finishing the story and thinking "Well that's a damn shame isn't it?" And this was generally my takeaway from it all - sometimes horrible things happen and don't trust the aliens dammit.

Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man#Background
About this story, Knight wrote:

"To Serve Man" was written in 1950, when I was living in Greenwich Village and my unhappy first marriage was breaking up. I wrote it in one afternoon, while my wife was out with another man.
dannngggg

Also:
Quote from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/To_Serve_Man#References_in_other_works
In the MMORPG computer game World of Warcraft, Players can collect an item titled An Exotic Cookbook "How to Serve Man" from certain non-player characters, such as Ogres and Trolls. The five simple instructions are as follows: 1. Get one or eight man, 2. Hit man hard, 3. Hit man more, 4. Put man in fire, 5. Eat man

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2011, 06:00:51 AM »

The best episodes thus far are the ones where people get paranoid and start to turn on each other (ie: "The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street" or "Will The Real Martian Please Stand Up?").

Maple Street in particular has some really chilling stuff.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2011, 12:32:16 PM »

Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up? is good shit.

Doctor Who's "Midnight" owed it something.

We watched Execution in one of my high school English classes.

EDIT: Actually, it was the OTHER one where a man escapes right before a hanging, An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge.  During a unit on late-nineteenth-century American lit; the original short story was by Ambrose Bierce.

As it turns out, the same story was also adapted for Alfred Hitchcock Presents.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2011, 12:44:34 PM »

I kind of like the one where the guy had the cure for the disease and only the child would believe him. So they burned his book and findings and then doomed them selves to a horrible death.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2011, 01:45:18 PM »

My only problem with old Twilight Zone episodes is that they speak to the audience of the time, which was stupid, so it can be pretty ham-fisted. The Scary Door does a better parody of this than I ever could. Still an amazing show though. Completely groundbreaking.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2011, 03:17:18 PM »

There was also S&P to consider.  Going back to Hitchcock, "Premonition" ends with the sound of police sirens, and "Don't Come Back Alive" has Hitchcock explicitly stating that the criminal is brought to justice.  I'm willing to bet that S&P of the time required that all crime stories end with the criminal explicitly being caught (as the Comics Code would a few years later).

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2011, 03:39:54 PM »

I'm not talking about S&P stuff, I mean episodes doing everything but have Rod Serling stare directly at the camera and scream "RACISM IS BAD".

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2011, 04:36:14 PM »

I'll buy that.  Indeed, the old EC's often had the same problem.  Hell, X-Men STILL has that problem.

teg

• DONUTS GONNA' DON
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Teg's Dumb Art
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2011, 05:41:13 PM »

The attempts at remakes are always terrible.
Now that I think about it, it would be pretty awesome to do a new Twilight Zone type series using the same mixture of adaptations and original material.

basically what I am getting at is that I want a half-hour adaptation of The Colour Out Of Space hosted by some creepy dude in a suit

BŁge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2011, 06:00:52 PM »

I was looking over the synopses for the old Twilight Zone episodes and I realized that M. Night Shyamalan pretty much lifted the Twilight Zone formula for his "what a tweest!" movies. Which is ironic, since his stuff doesn't hold up to repeated viewings and yet the Twilight Zone does.

I kind of like the one where the guy had the cure for the disease and only the child would believe him. So they burned his book and findings and then doomed them selves to a horrible death.

Are you referring to The Gift?

Also, whoever threadsplit this topic neglected to notice Lottel's post up yonder.

edit:
basically what I am getting at is that I want a half-hour adaptation of The Colour Out Of Space hosted by some creepy dude in a suit
YES.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2011, 06:50:38 PM »

Coincidentally, "Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up?" was just on Outer Heaven tonight.
...but is it art?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2011, 09:09:03 PM »

I was looking over the synopses for the old Twilight Zone episodes and I realized that M. Night Shyamalan pretty much lifted the Twilight Zone formula for his "what a tweest!" movies.

Well, kinda, but it's pretty common to the format -- EC and Hitchcock did it too.

Which is ironic, since his stuff doesn't hold up to repeated viewings

The two good ones do.

Also, whoever threadsplit this topic neglected to notice Lottel's post up yonder.

His post is in response to my comment about Hitchcock having a fucked-up sync on Netflix.  It's not strictly Twilight Zone-related, no, but it would make no goddamn sense left in the old thread without context.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2011, 12:48:16 PM »

Buge that would indeed be the one!
Pages: [1] 2