Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15

Author Topic: Shit [Units of Time]  (Read 21894 times)

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
Re: Shit [Units of Time]
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2011, 02:56:51 PM »

Ten months of unemployment, have had at least 4-6 submissions for jobs every month, usually an interview a month, and I've gotten nowhere.  Usually apply through recruitment agencies and a couple are direct contacts.  Today, at a recruitment office, I was rejected.  This wasn't for a job, this was just to be considered for submission with some of their clients.  I've been dishing out information agents want to know in a flash.  Today, I was stopped about 15 minutes into explaining my work history.  She informed me that it's obvious that I lack any kind of self-confidence and that I'm obviously desperate for work.  She then went on to imply I dressed in a unprofessional manner after I asked in advance if it would be okay to do just that.  She handed me what looks like a binded printout of power point slides and told me she won't be submitting me anywhere until I stop looking so desperate.

I hate this economy.  I have a degree, 3 years experience, and a technical certificate yet it's an uphill battle to get work.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2011, 03:18:01 PM »

Wow. These idiots are looking for people who aren't desperate for work. Are they also looking for unicorns and leprechauns?

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2011, 03:25:16 PM »

Yeah, you pretty much have to stand out as an exemplary example of employmentability at all possible times, no matter who you're talking to. Ironing is more important than you think.

And 4-6 submissions a month is awfully :slow:. It took me eleven months to find work and I was averaging over a dozen applications a week.

Oh, also: employment agencies are completely swamped with people just like even more qualified than you. You may have better luck striking out on your own, targeting the sorts of places that wouldn't use recruitment agencies.

Smiler

• HOM NOM NOM NOM
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 11, 2011, 03:33:45 PM »

The norm for the past few years has been to not hire anyone who is unemployed. Because you know, the only reason why people don't have jobs in a shitty economy is because they are too lazy to have one.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2011, 03:59:54 PM »

And 4-6 submissions a month is awfully :slow:. It took me eleven months to find work and I was averaging over a dozen applications a week.

You are completely correct on this, however I've been trying to hold out that I can still try to apply for jobs I *want* as opposed to any job available.  Also looking at my emails, I should clarify that statement.  I've had 4 to 6 submissions a month that got some kind of feedback, one or two that resulted in an interview.  Through careerbuilder.com and agencies I've bombarded 6 to 8 a week easily, just many aren't even providing feedback.  I could be trying harder on this but I'm trying to spend some time to simply stay happy through the crushing depression.  When you tick through heart medicine, once a day, and know you can't afford to refill it, it's like watching the reaper slide beads on an abacus.  I'm thankful that I have a family giving me loans to get by until I can get back on top of things and a trusted friend who has put me up rent free for six months with an air mattress on his living room floor.

The norm for the past few years has been to not hire anyone who is unemployed. Because you know, the only reason why people don't have jobs in a shitty economy is because they are too lazy to have one.
:endit:
This is true.  There was one place I got a callback, I aced their one hour online programming test, I did well with the first round of interviews, and when presented to management the interview got very quiet when he saw I have not worked in seven months.  The interview was over despite being very qualified and recommended by the person trying to fill the position.

I think one of the key things keeping me going is that this community (that I've circled around since the late 90s) has shown me the true meaning of apathy and that you simply do not give a fuck when someone challenges you and move on.

Edit: I have seen job postings that include the line "Must be employed or recently employed to apply."
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2011, 04:33:15 PM »

See, I know girls who say the same thing. The guy has to be dating someone in order for her to give him a shot. You know, because he's clearly good boyfriend material if he's dating someone.

It doesn't make sense with women and it doesn't make sense with companies.

And before you get on me, it's an apt comparison! After all, corporations are people.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2011, 04:55:02 PM »

Ah, six to eight replies a month sounds about right. Carry on then.

(And before those meds run out, say something. I'm loathe to make promises on behalf of the collective community here but if they'll carry my freeloading for a couple months I'm sure we can roll up enough of a money katamari to keep somebody alive.

Yes, we. I'm employed now, so I'll do what I can too.)

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2011, 05:11:49 PM »

My doctor has already been awesome once and gave two months of 'samples' to keep me going.  I'm halfway through that.  Says he can do it one more time, but after that we have to work out something.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2011, 05:54:40 PM »

MadMaxJr: At a job interview, you are judged primarily on self-confidence and how well you look in a suit and tie.

Simply invest in a nice suit and fake an aura of certainty that you're the one they mean to hire. Interviewers will be impressed by this, because interviewers are the staff considered unimportant and easily swayed by a sense of authority that they can be assigned to interviews for several days.

The other ways to get hired are brute force and hope somebody recognises your ability, and nepotism. Nepotism is widely regarded as the best way to get a job.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2011, 06:08:28 PM »

$1200 suit, got it a year ago.  Look pretty good in it, thanks.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2011, 06:22:19 PM »

Companies like to hire stupid people max. Remember that.

EDIT:
This is a reference to his signature.

EDIT EDIT:
I think I appear to have the most confidence when I rehearse and stare into a mirror. People also seem to like me better when I'm excited but a little tired.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2011, 06:27:16 PM »

Pretend you're fielding an Eldar army in 2nd edition 40k.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2011, 08:02:04 PM »

The "Only hiring the currently-employed" problem is becoming pretty well-documented. I've seen three articles that mention the problem in the US (don't have that problem here, least not any worse than it usually is) and this isn't even the same country.

I don't know what to say other than, things are fucked right now. The unemployment rate in the States is roughly 15% last I heard, so while it's not at Depression-era levels yet, it's as close as it's ever been.

You need to start planning now for what happens when you still don't have work in three months. I mean, absolutely continue trying as you are now, but assume the worst and use the time to be ready - because this problem is huge. Big enough that individual pluck just won't cut it. Without some kind of unique edge or miraculous stroke of luck, your prospects are not good.

I don't know what your backup backup failsafe plan might be, but if you have one, it's time to look at implementing it.

EDIT: That maybe sounds mean, which is not the intention. the  :tldr: version is that you are in a rowboat in the path of a tsunami. If you have a hatch at all, batten it down.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2011, 08:14:50 PM »

This is probably going to sound like simplistic parent logic, but couldn't you just get a job slinging burgers or whatever, suffer for three months, THEN get a job in your field?

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 11, 2011, 08:17:19 PM »

That might make him look worse/more desperate (employer logic is weird like that). And (as Starr has discovered) anybody with high qualifications applying for low-paying employment out of their field is automatically rejected, since the expectation is that these people will leave instantly when they get even the faintest whiff of something better.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 11, 2011, 08:22:20 PM »

WELL WHERE THE HELL ARE THEY GETTING NEW EMPLOYEES THEN

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 11, 2011, 08:26:06 PM »

That's where the robots come in.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 11, 2011, 08:27:50 PM »

I've been rejected from McDonald's for being overqualified. A week later the other McDonald's called and told me I didn't have enough experience.

1. It was the same job at both places.
2. I gave them the same information.
3. Not enough experience for McDonald's? Don't they take 14 year olds to run the fryer?
4. :brokenheart:

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 11, 2011, 08:37:52 PM »

The problem is the perceived wealth of candidates out there.  For low-paying jobs the field is perceived to be even bigger, so they won't look at you unless you're some sort of proven burger-flipping virtuoso.

For most professional jobs though, this whole catch-22 bullshit is the result of policies that were set during the boom years that just don't fucking apply anymore.  The managers at my company are going nuts trying to fill the SCORES of open positions they have, because every promising candidate they have fails to meet some absolute requirement that's not even relevant.  They end up just hiring the first guy they can even when every interviewer says "no", and the results are pretty predictable. 

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 11, 2011, 08:41:30 PM »

The managers at my company are going nuts trying to fill the SCORES of open positions they have, because every promising candidate they have fails to meet some absolute requirement that's not even relevant.

Why don't they change the rule? Or ignore it?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 15