Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Tragilarity  (Read 2797 times)

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
Re: Tragilarity
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 10:09:16 PM »

I still think TA is an asshole.

Kazz

• Projekt Direktor
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 10:11:19 PM »

that is not very nice

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 10:21:36 PM »

Appreciating the irony here does not necessarily make somebody a horrible person.

I'm not saying any of you are horrible people (except Kazz). You're probably just using hyperbole there, but just in case you actually think I'm saying that, I'm not. Except for Kazz. Fuck that guy.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 02:50:46 PM »

Everything is funny depending on your perspective. I'll be damned if I'm not going laugh at someone who dies in a silly protest of the thing that kills him. I'm not mocking him, because honestly there's no greater mockery than what already happened, but I'm still going to laugh. Mocking him would be handing out helmets at his funeral, which admittedly would probably make me laugh.

Friday

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 04:04:42 PM »

So, out of pure honest curiousity (and this should be not be taken as an attempt to "win" whatever this "argument" is, because the argument as it stands is pretty much over as far as I can see) if he had, say, been hit by a drunk driver and knocked off his bike, and died from not wearing a helmet, is that still funny? If so, less funny and more tragic? I guess what I'm asking is would Price is Right fail horns still be involved?

I am asking out of curiousity and interest in how the human psyche works. You don't need to just kneejerk a "yes, it's still just as funny" answer to remain consistent. I won't take a "no, that's different" as an admission that I have the superior stance, or anything else of the sort, here. I just like modifying circumstances slightly to see if it invokes different reactions. I do this all the time with my friends in real life because I am a philosophy/human psyche fag.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 04:09:35 PM »

"no, that's different"
Notably if it was somehow clear that he would have survived with little injury it would at least be a heavy sigh or possibly facepalm, but personally the reason his death is funny as is is that his lack of helmet was the exclusive killer.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 04:11:09 PM »

So, out of pure honest curiousity (and this should be not be taken as an attempt to "win" whatever this "argument" is, because the argument as it stands is pretty much over as far as I can see) if he had, say, been hit by a drunk driver and knocked off his bike, and died from not wearing a helmet, is that still funny? If so, less funny and more tragic? I guess what I'm asking is would Price is Right fail horns still be involved?

I am asking out of curiousity and interest in how the human psyche works. You don't need to just kneejerk a "yes, it's still just as funny" answer to remain consistent. I won't take a "no, that's different" as an admission that I have the superior stance, or anything else of the sort, here. I just like modifying circumstances slightly to see if it invokes different reactions. I do this all the time with my friends in real life because I am a philosophy/human psyche fag.

Would he have survived if he was wearing a helmet?  If so, then still yes.  You wear a helmet in the situation for the same reason.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 04:15:05 PM »

Homer Simpson: [while choking Bart for laughing at him] I'll teach you to laugh at something that's funny!

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 04:19:56 PM »

So long as he was still involved in the protest, and the lack of helmet was the cause of his death, then yes, but not nearly as much. In this case he died entirely due to his own fault in being a fucking asshat. The drunk driver aspect obviously makes it less his fault.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 05:22:10 PM »

So, out of pure honest curiousity (and this should be not be taken as an attempt to "win" whatever this "argument" is, because the argument as it stands is pretty much over as far as I can see) if he had, say, been hit by a drunk driver and knocked off his bike, and died from not wearing a helmet, is that still funny?

Only if the driver had just come from a rally protesting drunk driving laws.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2011, 05:41:16 PM »

That would raise it from mildly amusing to hilarious. Hysterically funny if it was a MADD meeting.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 05:53:38 PM »

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 06:00:37 PM »

I hate that song. The only thing ironic about it is that none of her examples are.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 06:02:21 PM »

There is something satisfying and gratifying when the world presents you with an example of people who disagree with you undo themselves by virtue of their disagreement.

The victim's accidental, but still direct, culpability is key here.
Biker dies due to not wearing a helmet isn't news.
Biker slain in a drunk driving accident is also not news.

Yeah, less schadenfreude. In the second example, I'm prompted more to think about how fragile life is and how little control I have in preserving it. How I'm required by circumstance to take risks or forfeit what I can't bear to surrender.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 07:42:27 PM »

I hate that song. The only thing ironic about it is that none of her examples are.

:scanners:
Pages: 1 [2]