Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28

Author Topic: Calling All Internets  (Read 43900 times)

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Calling All Internets
« Reply #480 on: January 06, 2013, 09:41:03 AM »

Have you tried changing the frequency of your router?
Addendum to Thad: There are programs you can run (inSSIDer on Win., Wifi Analyzer on an Android phone, etc) to check out WiFi networks in your area and see what frequency they're on. Set your router to the least congested one. This is a necessity if you live in an apartment.
Current state of affairs:

Router is a Linksys E2500, Adapter is Linksys WMP600N

I've been playing with channel and channel width mainly and no real success. As far as I've gotten is getting my computer to connect to the 5ghz and not the 2.4. So sound and wireless devices work fine, however when it connects it's an incredibly weak signal that flickers on and off sometimes faster than I can complete the connection.

It's only traveling through four walls at most with a maximum distance of forty feet, plus the 2.4ghz signal is consistent, so any kind of booster seems ridiculous. Outside that, though, my limited networking know-how is out of ideas for how to get wireless working.

EDIT: inssider does not recognize there is any 5ghz signal even right next to the router when my computer is connecting to it.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #481 on: January 07, 2013, 01:50:38 PM »

I'm not all that familiar with using 5 ghz. If you set everything to use some band on the 2.4ghz spectrum, do things run stable? That might tell you something

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: January 07, 2013, 05:32:56 PM »

Checked all the channels and nothing seemed to do the trick quite right on 2.4.

Turns out there's a whole slew of other issues with their connection anyway. To the point where plugging in one computer to the router kills the connection on only my stepmom's ipad and nothing else.

So rather than continue messing with it and cause issues I don't understand I'm sending back the card if I can and dealing with the cost for a second modem for the (hopefully) few months I'm here.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: January 22, 2013, 10:11:15 AM »

I need a decent piece of free writing software, licensed for commercial use, that lets one write in a wiki format.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Beat Bandit

• High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: February 22, 2013, 01:21:10 PM »

Any kind of helmet that already looks like or item that would fit on a head that resembles Sunred's helmet.

I have plans for a very easy convention costume.

Follow up: what does his shirt say?

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile

Caithness

• Hat Man
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: February 22, 2013, 01:46:05 PM »

His shirt says something different every time, but that one is something like "returning the smile".

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: February 25, 2013, 11:32:06 PM »

Other than using iTunes, what's the best way to listen to and subscribe to podcasts with my computer?
Currently, I am using my phone and an app on that to listen to a few but if I am already using my computer, I'd like to not have to use two devices. I am currently subscribed to podcasts through google reader and that's fine for subscribing but kind of bad for listening to them.

Kayma

• kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • http://twitter.com/kayma
« Reply #488 on: February 26, 2013, 10:22:19 AM »

It is a mystery. I would love a desktop podcast manager that has a great Android app with it, but these are the things of dreams.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 04, 2013, 02:42:44 PM »

I need some help. I'm writing a story and I don't trust Google Translate to give me the proper syntax for French sentences. The phrase I need translated is "I will obey Ms. Kensington."

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: June 04, 2013, 02:48:48 PM »

Silly, you can just ask me.

That should be "J'obeirai Mlle. Kensington."

(Zed, just yell at me if that's wrong or whatever)

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 04, 2013, 03:02:13 PM »

Merci!

François

• Huh.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: June 05, 2013, 03:43:04 AM »

Sorry mang, that would be accurate with a lot of verbs, but in French we don't obey people, we obey to people. "J'obéirai à Mlle. Kensington." It's a transitif indirect.

Not one of the easier ones to remember, I'll admit.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 05, 2013, 03:57:21 AM »

Et voila.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #494 on: August 06, 2013, 04:23:35 PM »

Happened across a very nice tube TV left behind at a rental property today.  Brought it home, and the picture is gorgeous -- on the bottom 75% of the screen.

Near the top, there's this line -- you can see a clearly delineated single line each of red, green, and blue when the screen is blank, and when there's a picture onscreen that section resembles the "pinch" effect in Photoshop, like everything is squeeze together around that line.  And then the top portion of the screen is blank.

Had that problem with an old TV once; that was definitely a magnetism issue.  So I suspect that may be the case here, too.  On the other hand, this seems like a late-model enough TV that it should degauss every time it's powered on, and repeated cycling hasn't made a visible difference.

Most of the talk I've seen online about manual degaussing involves pictures with discoloration, though it's mentioned that picture distortion can occur as well.  I haven't seen this exact symptom described in the material I've read, though.  And there are other things that can fuck up a TV picture, like crossed wires -- which is why giving a TV a good whack really DOES fix picture issues sometimes.  (Tried it; no luck.  Don't want to whack it TOO hard.  Saw a couple people suggest a rubber mallet; don't have one onhand.)

There are cheap Chinese degaussing coils on eBay; I'm tempted to throw down $10 for one of those and see what happens.  Alternately, I could just try a refrigerator magnet -- consensus seems to be that this is a bad idea but also that if you're just going to get rid of the set anyway then it's not like you've got anything to lose (and anyway any damage done with a permanent magnet can be undone with a degaussing coil later, provided you don't actually get it close enough to the TV to actually start ripping components out).

Anyone have any experience with this stuff?  This is pretty much the perfect TV for retro gaming -- 20", lightweight, flat screen, and it's even got component video.  It beats the hell out of the 20" screen I've been using.  Or it would, if I could fix the issue with the top of the screen.

Should I buy a cheap degaussing coil, start by trying with a refrigerator magnet and THEN decide whether I want to buy a cheap degaussing coil, or am I barking up the wrong tree entirely and could this be caused by something completely separate from fucking magnets?

The best guide I've found so far is at repairfaq.org.  If anyone knows of a better one I'd be interested in hearing about that too.  (I've no intention of actually taking the thing apart.  This is a sweet screen but not worth the hassle of disassembly or the risk of electrocution.  And while I took a couple EE courses in college, that was a long time ago and I'm by no means an expert.)

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: August 06, 2013, 08:43:40 PM »

It might just be that the TV is set weird.  There actually is a standard setting that does that, oddly enough - futz around in the muckier parts of the calibration options and see what happens.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: August 06, 2013, 09:27:32 PM »

There actually is a standard setting that does that
What? Why would that ever be useful to a TV user?

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #497 on: August 07, 2013, 01:19:40 AM »

It might just be that the TV is set weird.  There actually is a standard setting that does that, oddly enough - futz around in the muckier parts of the calibration options and see what happens.

Yeah, as soon as I found the manual online and determined how to get the menu up without a remote (you press both volume buttons at the same time!) I went through all the video settings.  Mostly just your standard color/brightness/tint/etc.  There's a setting for whether to keep the image as pure 4:3 (slightly letterboxed) or to stretch it to fullscreen, which sounds a little like what you're talking to, but that's not it; the picture is pinched either way.

I think I went through all the available settings, both under Video and under Installation.  I was looking to see if there was a menu option to force a degauss, but didn't see anything like that either.

I DO have a working 20" TV here, and one of the suggestions on that guide I linked was to stick two close together, facing each other, and then power the good one on to see if its degauss is strong enough to affect the other one.  Guess that's another thing I could try.  If I can find a space where I can FIT two 20" CRT's face-to-face.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #498 on: August 09, 2013, 11:59:49 AM »

I've seen a couple different sites suggesting it's the vertical circuit.  And like I said, I'm not really interested in taking the thing apart.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: August 12, 2013, 03:34:49 AM »

Somebody on here once linked a truly bizarre parody of the Dr. Who theme (more or less), which looked to be half 80's "CGI" along with non-musical sections of people mumbling a situation/operations control room or something. I know it's on YouTube, but for the life of me I can't find it again.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28