Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Author Topic: Zeboyd Games (no relation)  (Read 2317 times)

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
Zeboyd Games (no relation)
« on: July 25, 2011, 04:44:10 PM »

So apparently these dudes have some 16-bit JRPG-inspired games titled Breath of Death VII and Cthulhu Saves the World.

On the one hand, that's fucking awesome.  On the other, I have so many games I have paid for and never played already.

On the OTHER other...$3 each.

Ted Belmont

• Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Zeboyd Games (no relation)
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »

I played the trial version of Breath of Death VII on XBLA. It's pretty fun!

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »

These games have some rather thoughtful design, which isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the words "JRPG-inspired."

The comedy, meanwhile, is pretty poor, but the text scrolls rapidly.
...but is it art?

Spram

• I CANT AVATAR!?? FUK YOU. LET ME DO AVATAR!!
  • TOTAL DORK
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 08:18:32 PM »

I guess you can say I liked the games. I like these old timey games, they're easier to get into. I too was worried about buying two games not because they were 3 bucks, but because I wouldn't have the time to play them. I did in fact like both of them, they're fast-paced and short. 4-5 hours for BoD7 and 8-9 for CstW.

With more time and money (and better art) they could end up making a good SNES-style rpg. The stories on both games are lacking... lacking actual story.

But if you have the time and don't care about story and find the quaint graphics to be cute, then this are some fun games.

I've heard the programmer was a verger, so I wonder if he played Blimpo Warrior. Not that you have to play BW to make a Dragon Warrior clone with lame jokes, but it would be nice to know my old crappy game somewhat made a small dent in the gaming community.
:)

Saturn

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 08:44:56 PM »

The fact that  the steam version (out for days) has  already beaten the XBLIG (out for a year on that service )  version in sales shows how lousy XBLIG is at promoting the good games it has

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 09:24:21 PM »

It's already got me thinking "Why don't I try doing this shit?"  And I've even got good answers in mind for basic roadblocks like what's the premise going to be and how can I make it small enough that I might actually finish it.

(I am thinking 16-bit-style RPG that takes place in a college of the mad sciences, circa 1910.  This might sound familiar to Brent, as I have been kicking the idea around in my head since 1999.)

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 09:29:03 PM »

You can apparently buy them in a bundle on Steam for $2.99, if $2.99 individually is too rich for your blood.

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 12:47:55 PM »

(I am thinking 16-bit-style RPG that takes place in a college of the mad sciences, circa 1910.  This might sound familiar to Brent, as I have been kicking the idea around in my head since 1999.)

I'd play that. Do that!

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2011, 04:28:20 PM »

You can apparently buy them in a bundle on Steam for $2.99, if $2.99 individually is too rich for your blood.

And today it's down to $2.

FINE, Boyd, you want my money that badly you can have it.

God knows when I'll PLAY the things -- maybe before the copy of FarCry I just bought at Fry's (the grocery store, not the electronics store) for $2.49.

Spram

• I CANT AVATAR!?? FUK YOU. LET ME DO AVATAR!!
  • TOTAL DORK
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2011, 07:54:04 PM »

Dont wanna sound like a dick, but I'm kinda disappointed by their new game. I like Penny Arcade but I'm not a big fan of their game. I'll have to wait and see, I do like snes style rpgs. Talking of which, anyone played any of these: http://www.aveyond.com/ ? I downloaded a demo and never played it, lol.
:)

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2012, 09:37:57 AM »

These games have some rather thoughtful design, which isn't exactly the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the words "JRPG-inspired."

The comedy, meanwhile, is pretty poor, but the text scrolls rapidly.

Played through BoD7, and pretty much this -- the jokes are pretty stale "silent protagonist"/"sewer dungeon" fare, but the battle system is actually quite clever.

You can save anywhere, and your health recharges fully at the end of battle.  Your MP recharges PARTIALLY at the end of battle; the quicker you finish, the more MP you get back.

The save-anywhere/automatic full HP combo makes for random battles that tend toward the bitch-ass hard.

Other things that affect battle strategy: dead characters automatically get revived with full HP at the end of battle, and still gain XP.  And enemies do progressively more damage the longer the fight goes on -- so there's no such thing as a Dragon Quest Last Boss-style "just hold out for 45 minutes while chipping away at him" battle; if you take too long you're going to get wiped out.

Your power also builds, as physical attacks chain and increase damage.  A Heal spell breaks the chain, meaning there are times you need to decide whether you want to lose your momentum to heal, or risk dying to deliver a chain-ending coup de grace.

And there's only one kind of item, the Potion; it heals, revives, and cures status.  They're not sold in stores.

There's also a rudimentary skill tree which I quite like.  At each level you're given a choice between two upgrades -- sometimes you choose between an attack that targets one foe for heavy damage or all foes for light damage; sometimes you choose between physical and magical stat upgrades.  One of the more interesting choices is between giving the Heal spell the power to revive, or making it so it doesn't break physical attack combos.  It's pretty much a bare minimum of what constitutes a skill tree, but in its simplicity it still accomodates quite a variety of potential play styles.

And so does the equipment -- while the two fighter characters have pretty straightforward each-is-better-than-the-previous equipment, the other two characters have a bit more variety.  Sara gets different rings that raise different stats, meaning one often won't be definitively better than another; and whassername the gunner (Liana?) gets different guns with different attacks -- do you want to do light damage to all enemies, heavy damage that ignores defense on one enemy, moderate damage to 3 random targets, ...?

Oh, and while the encounter rate's a little too high for my tastes, there's a limit on how many random encounters you can have in a given area.  Run into enough monsters and you won't randomly encounter any more (though if you want to grind or whatever, you can always select Fight from the menu and force one).

On the whole it's really a very well-thought-out game, and it's interesting to see how relatively minor changes like these can vastly improve a tired formula.

Haven't played Cthulhu yet; will give it a shot one of these days.

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 08:19:33 AM »

So, screens of the new Penny Arcade Adventures game are out. Things of note: the Player Character is out, and has been replaced with a red-haired lady in a trenchcoat named Moira and what appears to be Jim Darkmagic's skull in a jar. Also, the battle system looks to be a mishmash of Zeboyd's previous works and Grandia.

Niku

• MEAT
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:52:57 AM »

they're not going to remake the first two in this style are they

fuck
i'm a blog now, blogs are cool: a fantastic machine made of meat

strangeglint

• TOTAL DORK
  • Untested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 10:06:27 AM »

Penny Arcade 3 will be a day one buy for me, and you should feel bad if it isn't a day one buy for you.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 10:56:50 AM »

Given the structure and likelihood of sales for previous Zeboyd games, that is in fact the opposite thing you should do.

Also DN it's obvious that Moria/Jim/Anne are in there as temporary party members and that Tycho/Gabe are the two main characters at all times.

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 10:58:57 AM »

While I thought Cthulu Saves The World was perhaps the most unfunny thing ever, you do have to recall that it's almost certainly going to be penned by Tycho again Doom.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 02, 2012, 11:50:54 AM »

Given the structure and likelihood of sales for previous Zeboyd games, that is in fact the opposite thing you should do.

Also DN it's obvious that Moria/Jim/Anne are in there as temporary party members and that Tycho/Gabe are the two main characters at all times.

I'm not so sure about Moira and Jim, actually. In one of those screenshots Jim seems to have quite a few options in battle. And also in the article I didn't link to because I thought it was actually just a little blurb, it says that the game is taking inspiration from both Grandia and Final Fantasy V, so it seems pretty likely that there's going to be a Job-like system in place. And you can't really have a Job system without permanent characters.

EDIT: Also, one of the screenshots shows Gabe's status screen and there's an option for "Class".

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2012, 12:14:21 PM »

So.. you agree with me, that our new permanent characters are Gabe and Tycho??????????