Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Author Topic: Born from Chaos  (Read 11458 times)

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Born from Chaos
« on: August 30, 2011, 05:28:46 PM »

I've made a mistake.

I've been drawn back into 40k by a few friends who are going to get into playing it. Not doing this tau this time around, instead, completely custom Tzeentch chaos. I figure I'll make this thread to chart the progress of it all, because why not:

The current plan is to make my two squads like this. (Count as Thousand Sons rule wise). The one with the largest spikes is the sorcerer. There will be 3 with the Magus helms that will be like bodyguards visually. (Long curved horns) and the ones with hoods will be normal squad members.

My other army plans include (which I will update this thread with)
-Tzeentch Daemon prince. Take the base Daemon prince design, add more armor and large feathered wings.
-Scoripon Defiler(s)
-Sanguinary Guard based Raptors. Think I'm going to grab some normal Assault marines and give them a bit of a warped look rather than throwing the winged packs on normal Raptors. Haven't decided the final design yet.

Beyond this, I'm trying to figure out what I'd like to do with more units.
-Terminators.. I want to start with basic SM terminators I think. The chaos ones look too busy with the spikes and bullshit going on - plus the fact the weapons I'd like to use for them aren't represented on any chaos terminator.
-Dread? I'd have to start with this due to the tzeentch designs and work out from there.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
Re: Born from Chaos
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:01:02 PM »

You have a grand plan here that is going to cost a non-trival amount of money and digging around the web for bits and parts.  What kind of experience do you already have in terms of working with models and painting?  Do you have any prior examples of mini mod work?

I like the models you've put up here, I joined and quit 40k over a period of six months after I realized I love working on the models but hate actually attempting to play against the people I met.  Without knowing your prior experience, I'm just going to attack what I see in the assembled models.  Looks like your glue control is good, I'm not seeing excess on the bases or figure seams.  Get a set of diamond files (Like these) and get rid of the sprue nub on your bolters.  Then invest in a small hand drill (example) and give those bolters some depth by boring out the barrel and the muzzle brakes from the sides.

What have you been thinking about for color schemes?  That may impact what color of primer you want to start with when painting time comes around.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:32:39 PM »

Color schemes are something I'm still tossing around. I'm having a bit of a mental lockdown on cloth/armor differences. I'd like to do Shades of Blue with accents of gold/silver. Purple/Pink/Blue for any daemonflesh. But I'm hung up on what to do with cloth vs armor. There's going to be some seams where they meet due to the customizing - my issue is, do I make them the same color? Different shades? I just don't know.

My actual experience with modeling/40k: I've built about 1000 points of Space Marines, 1500 of Tau and some various other models. I actually own a decent set of files and some x-acto knives to deal with mould lines and general touching up the models. I've actually got 90% of the bits lined up for these - I just need the bodies which I plan to get this weekend via these. I plan to work through it all very, very slow in general. When I have nothing to do with my hands I'm just going to shave off the lines, clean it up where I can, etc. I want to perfect my modeling on these before I move on to the painting - which cannot keep up at all with my visions of greatness.

Here's the plans for the defiler I'm going to make, by the way. It only actually requires 1 Kit + some bits purchased off ebay.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 05:36:11 PM »

I've decided to not use the hooded heads. They just seem.. Too close to the dark angels. I'll go with Magus heads on everything and the tall spiked heads on the sorcerers/squad leaders. However, my current issue I'm having with the chestpieces.

From the front, it looks great. (See also the commander with the straight spikes on the head) But from the side, and admittedly, a very rare viewing angle: the belts don't match up. There is also a issue of a technical difference in materials from front to back. Cloth on the backside that turns to armor on the front? I could try to greenstuff the robe tapering off, but eh.. I'm just not sure if it would be visually worth it.

I really do like the end result of the magus helms + High collar however:
Link because the image is big.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 07:19:48 AM »

Color examples, but I worry these ones may look too much like the Thousand Sons.

Chestpiece and legs
Side view
Complete

Going to switch out some golds for silvers on mechanical components.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 08:01:53 PM »

>> Belts don't match up

Ever work with greenstuff?  Two part plumbers putty. One strip is yellow, other is blue.  Don't buy the shit in the GW tin, you can get a foot long roll of the stuff at a supply store for same price.  Fill in the belts, use a an exacto blade to pat it flat, and trim the top and bottom flush with the smooth belt.  Hardcore mode is filing off the flat belt and making your own rope belt out of greenstuff.

I was going to recommend black primer, but you've got yellow in there, which is usually a thin pigment and it's a BITCH to get an even layer of that with most brands.  Privateer Press P3 paints claims to be superior by having triple the pigment count of other hobby paints, but I have never used P3 beyond their line of metallics.  For yellow, I would recommend a gray base primer.  If you use black (which lets you cheat a TON for shading), you will get thin areas where black shows under the yellow.  I should correct that statement.  *I* got thin areas with yellow paint.  Mostly when I was working on Altioc craftworld eldar which use a similar color scheme.  The only time I got it to work was when I was using Testors acrylics with an airbrush and copius amounts of airbrush thinner.  I primarily worked with Game Colour from the Vallejo paint line.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 10:16:36 PM »

Hm. Actually the yellow represents burnished gold paint color. I was thinking of using black primer again for sure. I'm actually going to use the set of 5 I've got the pictures of so far to actually test paint schemes on actual figures. I have enough bits to create the remaining 20 for the 2 squads.

I'm going to make the horns a dirty bone color - drybrush on some brown over white. The tips/armor pieces will probably be silver.

As for the belts: I've worked with greenstuff in the past on a very large scale, using it as a support and moulding tool and less of a detail tool. I didn't find it particullary easy to shape, so I may have trouble making a belt out of it that doesn't look like crap.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:14:12 AM »

For smaller, more detailed work, I have heard good things about 'brownstuff'.

Apparently it's easier to work with for finer detail.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:25:52 AM »

Goddamnit.

I just placed my order this morning. I'll grab some greenstuff locally and learn to do minute detail. Do you know of any sites that detail the best ways to work with greenstuff? Looking specifically for tips on how to smooth it out.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 09:35:58 AM »

Looks like there was a blog that attempted to detail usage with it: http://www.greenstuffsculpting.com

I gotta prep for a technical phone-screen, I'll dig into my resources later on and fish out more useful material.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2011, 03:41:08 PM »

This reminds me that I actually went back and started painting and converting minis I'd meant to paint for like, ten years.

Greenstuff can be okay to work with, but it can be sticky and soft. If you want something a bit firmer, you might try Milliput.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2011, 04:45:05 PM »

Yeah, working with kneadite or greenstuff, you will want to either have a separate jar of water to keep your fingers wet or some swear by using a tiny touch of Vaseline on your fingers.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 02:55:02 PM »

Is there a specific brand of tools you guys can suggest? Or would I be fine grabbing something like this hand drill and this hobby saw? I already have a set of diamond hobby files which work out great.

Speaking of - suggestions to smooth out sections I had to file on? More green stuff?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 05:43:02 PM »

Yeah, working with kneadite or greenstuff, you will want to either have a separate jar of water to keep your fingers wet or some swear by using a tiny touch of Vaseline on your fingers.

I always used hand sanitizer. Be sure to spread it on your tools too, so they don't stick.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 06:12:55 PM »

Is there a specific brand of tools you guys can suggest? Or would I be fine grabbing something like this hand drill and this hobby saw? I already have a set of diamond hobby files which work out great.

Speaking of - suggestions to smooth out sections I had to file on? More green stuff?

Some people use a slurry of greenstuff and water (this to taste), but that can be hard to manipulate. You may be able to get away with hiding it through the paint, but that depends on where and how deep the file marks are.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 04:50:33 PM »

Well I had intended to play some Space Marine when I got home today. But instead I got a big box from FedEx and another smaller box in my mail.

-5!(I only ordered 4) Dark Angels Chapter Upgrades grabbed mostly for the bodies
-A set of Veteran Space Marines to convert into jump troops
-Tzeentch Symbols for future vehicle use
And the box of bits on the right is my box of collected bits to actually make the custom units.

Time to superglue my fingers together.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 04:30:10 PM »

Finished the "Raptors" yesterday, got the monument to my greed in the mail today.

However, I didn't get my fucking chestpiece bits for my marines though. Should get them tomorrow.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 06:04:00 PM »

Haha fuck yessssssssssssssssssss lazcannon chaos baneblade.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 06:57:47 PM »

It's actually a Stormblade. It has a plasma cannon which can straight up eliminate other titans/vehicles with the destroyer trait, or throw down templates to buttfuck mass infantry. The lascannon sponsons on the side are also there to kill vehicles.

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-40000/Imperial_Guard/Imperial_Guard_Super_Heavy_Tanks/STORMBLADE-ARKURION-PATTERN.html

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 07:48:57 PM »

Well, in any case, you'll be chaos-ing it up, I assume?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7