Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Born from Chaos  (Read 11499 times)

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
Re: Born from Chaos
« Reply #80 on: October 19, 2011, 02:49:23 PM »

Oh god you're using HOMEBREW.  To have FUN.  Your Tzeentchness is impressive.  Somwhere a neckbeard is squirming under his own neckfat because JESUS CHRIST SOMEONE WANTS TO CHANGE THE RULES FOR FUN.

I hope that works out for you.  Homebrew tends to lead to fun fluff to describe why your army is different and to make it unique.  I'd even go as far as to try making a custom scenario.  Also if your rules for the tank are too effective, consider tacking rules on where it gives your opponent a slight advantage (If in play, one enemy troop or heavy unit may take an anti-tank wargear option free)
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Got questions about RPGs?

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 25, 2011, 12:40:26 PM »

Got my first Thousand Sons Dread. Got it off Ebay, and it came with 3 arms. (Autocannon and Chainfist, with bonus plasma cannon! I didn't expect that - it wasn't in the description)

Cost of parts including shipping:

From Forgeworld:$88.65

From China: $61

Just won another one of the exact same thing for $40 shipped, too. (Here's to hoping this one comes with a plasma cannon too. It's still a steal, even if it didn't)
:perfect:

However, looking at the pieces? This thing is going to take a lot of work. There's a decent amount of excess resin and flashing to deal with, but it shouldn't be too difficult. Just time consuming. I'll have pictures once I get home.

Oh, and I'm going to spend the money to get some nice bases as well. Looking at the "Straight from Hell" sets from Scribor.
40mm
60mm
25mm

With the red painted as chaos-y teal and purple of course.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #82 on: October 25, 2011, 05:35:16 PM »

Those bases look really good, so long as they're cast well and don't have a fuckton of excess you have to trim.
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt." - Bertrand Russell

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 25, 2011, 08:49:18 PM »

Resin is REALLY weird to work with after having only fucked around with plastic before now.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 25, 2011, 08:52:42 PM »

Ouch. There are some serious mould shift lines on those weapons.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 25, 2011, 09:03:30 PM »

Yeah. I'm doing my best to scrape and even that out. But again, resin is weird.

MadMAxJr

• Tested
    • View Profile
    • RPG Q&A
« Reply #86 on: October 26, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »

Best you can do is file that down (For the love of god wear a dust mask if you sand resin), or do your best to even the shift with an exacto blade.  The split along the chainsaw teeth doesn't make it look too bad, might make it look more like serrated blades Chaos would use.  The alternative would be a mix of filing and using green stuff/brown stuff to even out the seams.  There's not much you can do about the shift short of cutting the entire piece perfectly down the seam and lining it up.  And if you can do that, I would like to commission you for some work.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 28, 2011, 10:00:09 AM »

Played my first 1500 point game with the complete army! :8D:

Got annihilated. Every unit I had was dead [spoiler]in an objective game.[/spoiler]  ::(:

I needed to learn how all my units worked anyway. What was effective, what was useless, etc. I knew the theory but I needed to see how it actually worked. Which I did! So I have adjusted my list accordingly. I also had some incredibly bad luck.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 03, 2011, 09:21:03 AM »

Project is on hold again due to other issues.

In the meantime, I have this to report: I received my other dread from China today! They sent the wrong one. I have an Alpha Legion Dreadnought with no head. I've contacted the seller and based on their history it seems like they'll fix this fairly quick, hopefully.

The ever changing plan:

-Receive final Thousand Sons Dread And Contemptor
-Order all the fancy bases I need from TheWarStore for every unit in my army
-Move from one base to the other, and in the process perform a final visual check for flashing/imperfections errors on every model.
-Fix up vehicle seams and imperfections (It'll be a good time to try that Liquid Green stuff)

Then we can move on to modding my Stormblade. I'd really like to make it look something kind of like this one

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2011, 02:22:44 PM »

Soooo they're sending me the right one and told me to keep the one I got.

I now have a Forgeworld Alpha Legion Dreadnought... without a head. It has an autocannon arm and a chainfist arm and all other pieces are accounted for. (Legs, feet, engine on the back are all there)

Any ideas? Was thinking laying it flat to make an objective.

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 04, 2011, 08:14:13 AM »

So someone was showing us pictures of old-school Chaos Dwarves they'd painted and one the onlookers had the best comment "Man, they're like garden gnomes on E".

:lol:

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 04, 2011, 08:35:21 AM »

Ended up selling it to a friend.

[spoiler]He plays Orks.[/spoiler]

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 04, 2011, 08:38:02 AM »

:glee:

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 04, 2011, 09:23:19 AM »

YESSSSSSSSSS

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 05, 2011, 01:13:51 PM »

So. contemptor dreadnought. Good god damn that's a lot of parts.

Not my photo, but exactly what I have currently in my posession:

Can't really put any of it together because this thing is so posable and I don't have a base for it yet. Tragedy.

I'm going to have to build this thing from feet up in order to pose it properly. However there is an.. Option I'm considering. [spoiler]Sorcerer Dreadnought, anyone? I have a strange feeling they're going to be in the next codex anyway.
[/spoiler]
The reason the project is on hold: saving up the money to buy the bases for all the units at once. Getting really nice Scibor bases with individual ones for each unit types.
-Troops will have "Straight from hell"
-Berserkers will have Snow-covered Shael
-Haven't decided of the distrubition of the 40mm, but I'm ordering a few options.
-4 different 60mm bases, but the one for the other 1k sons Dread will be similar style to the one I posted above. The others are going for my Daemon prince and contemptor. Haven't decided which for which yet though.

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 16, 2011, 01:53:17 PM »

Outlook for finishing the army this year is not looking good. It's a bit of a downer actually. I've been juggling my finances a lot and holidays are coming up. It I didn't want to go big with the bases I could get to priming and painting.. But.. I refuse to compromise on my vision.

On the brighter side: Here's what he's done with the dread:

He's got to mod the legs next and add more bitz, I tells him!

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 16, 2011, 07:56:15 PM »

Needs some space for gretchins!

Ziiro

• Inquiry?
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 17, 2011, 01:02:31 PM »

Got my other Thousand Sons dread today, finally. And outlook is seemingly better to finish it this year. Getting next couple weeks finances in order to see if I can work in ordering all the bases. We'll see.

I now have in my possession every chaos unit I could possibly ever want. 3k Points worth.

Well.. Maybe a Land Raider next...

Mongrel

• Emoticon Knight-Errant
  • kodePunc Team
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 21, 2011, 10:38:38 PM »

This now appears to be the only active tabletop 40k-related thread, so uh, here:

Defenestration

• The Sixth Window
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 22, 2011, 06:40:30 AM »

The pose is kind of awkward. It looks like the terminator is about to fall forward.
Una salus victis nullam sperare salutem
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7