Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22

Author Topic: I'm a Star Wars  (Read 37560 times)

McDohl

• Pika-boo
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: I'm a Star Wars
« Reply #100 on: February 09, 2012, 09:30:10 AM »

I...I don't know whether to + or - karma for that.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 09, 2012, 09:58:32 AM »

That's how Classic rolls.

Thad

• Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #102 on: February 09, 2012, 08:13:15 PM »

It was so bad it knocked the conversation three boards down.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 09, 2012, 08:44:21 PM »

I TOOK A WALK AROUND THE WORLD TO EASY MY TROUBLED oh wait you said boards

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #104 on: February 10, 2012, 01:13:19 PM »

So uh this is making the rounds and you've probably all seen it by now but George Lucas is now claiming that Greedo ALWAYS shot first and he just CLARIFIED it in the Special Edition.

The controversy over who shot first, Greedo or Han Solo, in Episode IV, what I did was try to clean up the confusion, but obviously it upset people because they wanted Solo to be a cold-blooded killer, but he actually isn’t. It had been done in all close-ups and it was confusing about who did what to whom. I put a little wider shot in there that made it clear that Greedo is the one who shot first, but everyone wanted to think that Han shot first, because they wanted to think that he actually just gunned him down.

So now I'm wondering if he really is that batshit fucking loco or if this is the biggest, best troll ever.

Mothra

• ┐('~`;)┌ w/e
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 10, 2012, 01:24:00 PM »

Thad I'm kind of curious - just off the top of your head, what direction would you probably have gone had you been behind the wheel on this thing?

http://www.nbcmiami.com/blogs/popcornbiz/How-George-Lucas-May-Try-to-Erase-Star-Wars-And-Why-Thats-a-Good-Idea-138579209.html
Good lord that is a brutally stupid idea. I'm really having a hard time imagining a time travel plot in Star Wars that would not be mind-blowingly unnecessary and tedious.

Thad

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • corporate-sellout.com
« Reply #106 on: February 10, 2012, 02:14:54 PM »

Well, truth be told, I wouldn't have been behind the wheel, I would have just been a grunt writing missions.

That said, I don't know what a Scarlet Monastery is, but I can't imagine writing a scenario in which Revan and HK go down like bitches.

If I'd been told I HAD to include Revan as a raid boss, well...hrm.  Zombie and Cyborg are a little obvious, but they'd get the job done.  At a minimum, some setup where hey, it's been 500 years and he's emaciated and diminished and in some distinct way Not the Real Revan.  Hell, maybe I'd crib the "resurrected by magic worms" plot from TMNT.

HK?  Would totally find a way to use him, but not as a boss.  I'd make him a mentor character for whatever the closest thing the game has to an assassin class is.  Old and rusty and mad as hell and more caustic than ever.

The audition mod I wrote involved time travel and a causality loop.  In hindsight, I probably wouldn't really go that route if I were on a Star Wars MMO.  I also made some other mistakes; the thing was unwieldy and, as I mentioned, I didn't follow the style guide like I should have.  And I based it around one character being an old war buddy and making some crack about amnesia if you say you don't recognize him; I thought it was funny but it really wasn't as elegant a way of shoehorning in a character who's supposed to be interesting as I initially thought.

The followup mod -- the one I sent in when it was too late and they'd already hired somebody -- was much leaner and more focused.  I set it in the Mass Effect universe, some short time after the first game (the second hadn't been released yet) and involved the Keepers -- one starts behaving strangely and following you around.  From there an elcor cop stops you and you end up being taken to one of the scientists who was researching Keepers in that sidequest in the first game.  Since the Keepers were instrumental in the invasion of the Citadel at the end of the first game, suddenly his research has made him important; he's got basically unlimited research funding and has let it go to his head.

From there there are a handful of different ways to resolve the story, which I don't remember offhand (kill the Keeper, leave it behind, take it along as a Dogmeat character, things roughly along those lines).  Maybe I'll post these things someday; they're rough (just characters standing around talking and appearing and disappearing, with some descriptions of what the action would look like if it were actually a game instead of just a dialogue exercise), but I don't think I'd be violating the NDA I signed unless I specifically described the rules of the audition or the spec docs BioWare sent me.

Anyhow.  I guess what that says about me is I like things that are incongruous (like elcor cops -- you can bet I'd work a Wookiee Jedi in somewhere, and probably a hotheaded smuggler from Yoda's race) and I like to take minor sidequest characters and show what would happen to them a few years later given various stimuli (can't think of a side character from KotOR who would still be alive 500 years later and isn't a droid, but I'd give it a replay and bone up on the longevity of various Star Wars races).  On the other hand I don't want to overdo that shit; I've already complained about how ME2 stretches credulity with its parade of cameos from minor characters in the first game.  I live in the city where I was born, with a population of 162K, and I randomly run into someone I know from high school maybe once a year.  If I wanted to reuse a character from one of the first two games, I'd want to make it plausible that, of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the galaxy, you'd walk into theirs.

(To that end I'd do everything I could to talk them out of including Tatooine in the game, because its entire purpose, as a backwater that nobody cares about and that Obi-Wan would find a suitable place to lay low for a couple of decades and keep Luke safe is eroded every single time someone puts it in a goddamn prequel.  It would most likely be a losing battle -- without even playing the game, I'm going to assume Tatooine is in it? -- so then I'd revert to making the missions at least as pedestrian as possible.  No big events of galactic importance; maybe some smuggling for the Hutts and the like.)

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 10, 2012, 04:19:03 PM »

That said, I don't know what a Scarlet Monastery is, but I can't imagine writing a scenario in which Revan and HK go down like bitches.

If I'd been told I HAD to include Revan as a raid boss, well...hrm.  Zombie and Cyborg are a little obvious, but they'd get the job done.  At a minimum, some setup where hey, it's been 500 years and he's emaciated and diminished and in some distinct way Not the Real Revan.  Hell, maybe I'd crib the "resurrected by magic worms" plot from TMNT.

He went to go try to kill the Sith Emperor, got his ass kicked, and was taken prisoner and tortured for 300 years.  The Exile's force ghost kept him alive.  Republic players get a raid where they bust him out of prison, and he runs off to a secret droid factory to unleash an army of assassin droids to kill the Emperor, so Empire players then get a raid where they go kill him for good.
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 10, 2012, 04:25:08 PM »

Low/Mid level dungeon hub in WoW. Early 20s. Actually has 4 seperate wings, two of them are the size of a normal dungeon, more or less. Quest-wise, everyone hits it sooner or later, reguardless of size, because it's the only dungeon around that level.

I'm not sure what else the insinuation could be other than simply "Low level dungeon that's little more than a speedbump until you call in a friend to carry you."

Disposable Ninja

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 10, 2012, 05:02:42 PM »

... I would've made HK-47 a companion character available to every class on both factions after completing a very long and complex quest thread. And if not HK-47, then maybe an HK-95 model droid.

• Magic Gunner Miss Blue
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 11, 2012, 05:56:29 PM »

So uh apparently "two-day shipping" means "8 days"
When my copy of Book of Sith gets here I'll probably sperge in this thread a bit.

Bal

• Cheerful in the face of nuclear armageddon
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 11, 2012, 06:17:30 PM »

Mid-level speed bump is what I intended, yes. That's what I had heard last. If what TA is saying is true, that is slightly less terrible, but still very terrible.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 11, 2012, 09:13:04 PM »

I'm sorry did you skip over the part where I said "Exile's force ghost"?
Do you understand how terrifying the words “vibrating strap on” are for an asexual? That’s like saying “the holocaust” to a Jew.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 11, 2012, 09:41:26 PM »

(To that end I'd do everything I could to talk them out of including Tatooine in the game, because its entire purpose, as a backwater that nobody cares about and that Obi-Wan would find a suitable place to lay low for a couple of decades and keep Luke safe is eroded every single time someone puts it in a goddamn prequel.  It would most likely be a losing battle -- without even playing the game, I'm going to assume Tatooine is in it? -- so then I'd revert to making the missions at least as pedestrian as possible.  No big events of galactic importance; maybe some smuggling for the Hutts and the like.)

Tatooine was in Star Wars Galaxies as kind of a neutral starting area - you didn't have to worry about being harassed by the Empire much (and I don't remember if the actual Alliance of rebels was even in SWG) so mostly you ended up prospecting lots and lots of featureless arid land, dispatching emaciated trash mobs and running the occasional errand for the local crime syndicates if you were so inclined, until you got bored and blasted off somewhere interesting.  From what I hear about TOR though, that wouldn't really work, since the beginning stages are heavily plot-driven and there's really no "neutral" option.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 11, 2012, 09:48:35 PM »

I'm sorry did you skip over the part where I said "Exile's force ghost"?

What's your point? that that makes it more terrible than I was implying or less? I still think it's fucking abominable, but if it's a raid (ie End game) and not a speed bump on the way to max level as I had heard, then that is at least a better placement of the character, if not a better use. I still bristle uncontrollably at the complete retcon of everything interesting about both of those characters, but I guess we can't have nice things anymore when it comes to Star Wars.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 11, 2012, 09:53:50 PM »

It's a mid-game raid.  Levels 33-37, out of 50.  Raid != Endgame.

Bal

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 11, 2012, 10:08:44 PM »

Mid-game raids are pretty stupid by themselves, but great, it's double awful.

TA

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 11, 2012, 10:27:56 PM »

Why are midgame raids a fundamentally stupid idea?

... what do you think a raid is, exactly?

Shinra

• Big Juicy Winners
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 11, 2012, 10:32:07 PM »

they're a stupid idea because putting a raid in as leveling content necessarily requires making the content easy. Any content tuned for 10 people at lower levels could have easily been tuned to be a five man and require less coordination and allow small guilds to run it without having to pub slots. It can be a challenge to find five friends who are the same level as you, let alone eight or ten or however many tor requires.

Rico

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 11, 2012, 10:36:39 PM »

I can't imagine why putting a much larger-than-normal group together for rewards that obsolete themselves in roughly 30 minutes would seem like a bad idea....
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 22