Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

Which of these would you play?

D&D 4e
- 11 (24.4%)
D&D 3.5e or Pathfinder RPG
- 11 (24.4%)
Oldschool D&D or rules-light D&D (Labyrinth Lord, Castles & Crusades)
- 4 (8.9%)
Iron Heroes (low-magic, but good)
- 6 (13.3%)
Maid RPG
- 8 (17.8%)
Something else
- 5 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons? On MY Brontoforumus? (Interest thread)  (Read 8903 times)

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
Dungeons & Dragons? On MY Brontoforumus? (Interest thread)
« on: September 25, 2011, 09:29:53 PM »

Who's up for a D&D game? I'm running it here on the forum, since time-zones make it hard to get enough players for a real-time game. We'll use a web-based dice roller, an ASCII art combat grid, and rules like group initiative and "players roll all dice" variant to speed things up.

Setting
Unless anyone has a preference, the game takes place in The Rynwold Pantheon, the setting of two long campaigns of mine. In prehistoric times, forgotten kingdoms made reckless alliances with angels, devils and other divine servants, escalating petty warfare into cosmic conflict. The times that followed became known as the Age of Terror, when the civilized races hid like frightened rabbits from a world populated by superhuman beings locked in constant war in which even the deities themselves stepped onto the battlefield.

With the known world on the brink of destruction, the most powerful gods formed an uneasy coalition named the Rynwold Pantheon, and signed a binding pact forbidding the deities or their progeny from interfering with the human world except in cases of extreme faith. Those mortal races who had been augmented with celestial or demonic blood during the Age of Terror were banished. Humanity crawled out from its hiding holes and began to rebuild.

Tens of thousands of years later, mankind has mastered numerous forms of magic and personal development through the diligent worship of the correct deities, and the various races and religions have set their differences aside and made peace. Churches dominate the land's politics, technology, and daily life, and people live in a seeming utopia. Only a few of the most insightful theologians suspect the truth: When the god of Trickery signed the celestial accord, He had his fingers crossed.

Rules
Vote in the poll to pick which rule sets you'd be happy to play in. D&D 4e is tactical combat with many options, and I'm hoping the forum game will work well here because you have plenty of time to size up options and to write narratives for how  your attack powers work. D&D 3.5 is also very robust with a lot of character advancement options, and you won't have subscribe or to pirate the character generator to play it.

If you'd like something quicker and don't want character advancement to get in the way of the story, oldschool D&D or Castles & Crusades is a good bet. Old D&D is also more Nethack lethal, if you'd prefer that sort of game to one where anyone has the luxury of becoming attached to their character.

Iron Heroes is especially cool, but I've never had the chance to run it. It's D&D 3.5 but all the classes are martial types, with new and varied abilities and tactical combat options. This would be set during the Age of Terror when a few heroes managed to stand up and fight for their freedom.

Maid RPG... is a surprisingly good rules system. If you're tired of mediaeval fantasy and have always wished there was a tabletop game of Hayate the Combat Butler.

I'm open to suggestions for other rules, settings, whatever. Post in the thread if you'd like to play.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons? On MY Brontoforumus? (Interest thread)
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 09:47:24 PM »

I'd love to play!
I know the rules to 4e. 3.5 I'm... not fantastic with and will have to grab outside help building a character, which isn't terrible at all but I feel like I should mention it in case my character is made wrong so I have an excuse.
Anything else I'd have to learn but I'm a pretty fast learner and adaptable to any RPG I've played so far.

Guild

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 09:47:42 PM »

In!

Edit: In light of the high amount of interest, I'll just observe.

Nickasummers

• Beep
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:04:04 PM »

I havent had luck with organizing so my experience is very light. I DMed 3.5 for a short time so im familiar with that ruleset, but my full extent of playing is baldurs gate and nwn. Ill play if you need another player, but ideally id like to just watch.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 10:29:32 PM »

I would totally love to play! I'd need to buy books, but i'm cool with that.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 10:30:53 PM »

*runs in and does a slam dunk with the football and then a dance in the end zone*

IN.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 10:41:30 PM »

If there aren't too many players already, I'll give it a shot.  The non-immediate nature of the thing might keep me playing D&D for more than 5 minutes.

(Note that this would be my first "real" PnP game, despite my previous GMing experience.

(I think the board software is on to me.)

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 10:54:54 PM »

I'll take the case. I'd prefer 4e.
...but is it art?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2011, 05:46:10 AM »

I'd love to join in a game of 3.5 or 4.0.

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 07:19:08 AM »

I still have almost no DnD working knowledge and haven't gotten in on any of the irc games.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2011, 10:34:44 AM »

Question, are both 3.5e and 4.0 basically DnD Tactics?

(I figure it'll be objectively less frustrating in total if I just ask stupid questions instead of trying to figure out the answers myself.)

Malikial

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2011, 10:45:38 AM »

I'll play if you'll have me.

Guild

• Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2011, 10:56:37 AM »

Question, are both 3.5e and 4.0 basically DnD Tactics?

(I figure it'll be objectively less frustrating in total if I just ask stupid questions instead of trying to figure out the answers myself.)

Not when I run them, because I call on flavor from all the editions and even other universes, and I usually run a balanced mix of roleplay and combat.

But.

Out-of-the-box 4th edition is very combat oriented. The monster manual doesn't have innocuous creatures like psychic moles anymore: everything in the books that has stats is intended to be directly battled with combat powers, not open-ended free-thinking/roleplay solutions.

It depends heavily on the DM what kind of pen and paper experience you have regardless of system IMHO.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 12:56:45 PM »

Stating up front that my goal is to play a largely pacifist-leaning character, because whipping out a sword and slashing everything I see until it falls down is something I can do in any goddam JRPG.

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 01:59:57 PM »

D&D provides many rules for combat and few rules for anything else, but an experienced DM like JD can make the campaign be as talky or as stabby as necessary. That said, if the combat isn't going to be the main focus, a different system altogether would be desirable.
...but is it art?

Zach

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2011, 02:07:07 PM »

I voted for Maid because I haven't played it before.  :nyoro~n:

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2011, 03:47:56 PM »

D&D provides many rules for combat and few rules for anything else, but an experienced DM like JD can make the campaign be as talky or as stabby as necessary. That said, if the combat isn't going to be the main focus, a different system altogether would be desirable.

Okay, well, I wasn't aware of the particularly hacky nature of DnD, but I guess it makes sense.  At least in a "oh that's why I've never found tabletop to be all that compelling" way.

Based on that, I'll back out and spare you all the outsider complaining.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2011, 05:50:03 PM »

No no, Brent, please stay! 3.5 has a Vow of Poverty feat!

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2011, 06:15:28 PM »

Hey Brent you should wait for him to pick the system, I think only 4e has an overly strong emphasis on combat(as in so strong it's a real pain to DM around it), the others can be pretty comfortably DM'd around. Even in 4e, you could just become a Heal-bot or a Support Guy.

4e's Warlord can expend all of his attack options telling other guys to attack with a bonus to doing so from level 1. You just point at a guy and say "Hit that idiot" and he gets your +intellect bonus for doing so! He's also a cleric a-like based on tactics and manipulation, so you can yell at people to get over their wounds(healing them) or use a strong daily ability to rearrange where everybody is standing for flanking/strategic goodness. Then you can use your skill points to be cool-guy mcface or smarmy mctalker or preachy mcpacifist. It's more strained in 4e, but it's possible.

But 3.5e/Pathfinder has a ridiculous emphasis on alternative options, you can find prestige classes for capturing criminals without killing them. Like literally a prestige class that learns combat hogties.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2011, 07:25:12 PM »

"Do you have anything without combat in it?"
"There's combat, intrigue, roleplaying and combat. That's not got MUCH combat in it."
"But I don't like combat!"
"Shush dear, don't make a fuss. I'll have your combat. I love it!"
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5