Brontoforumus Archive

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This board has been fossilized.
You are reading an archive of Brontoforumus, a.k.a. The Worst Forums Ever, from 2008 to early 2014.  Registration and posting (for most members) has been disabled here to discourage spambots from taking over.  Old members can still log in to view boards, PMs, etc.

The new message board is at http://brontoforum.us.

Poll

Which of these would you play?

D&D 4e
- 11 (24.4%)
D&D 3.5e or Pathfinder RPG
- 11 (24.4%)
Oldschool D&D or rules-light D&D (Labyrinth Lord, Castles & Crusades)
- 4 (8.9%)
Iron Heroes (low-magic, but good)
- 6 (13.3%)
Maid RPG
- 8 (17.8%)
Something else
- 5 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dungeons & Dragons? On MY Brontoforumus? (Interest thread)  (Read 8905 times)

Joxam

• The Transformizzle
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
    • Shadowrun
Re: Dungeons & Dragons? On MY Brontoforumus? (Interest thread)
« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »

If there are too many I'll just watch, but I wouldn't mind being IN.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 09:44:04 PM »

I've always thought D&D had most of its rules about combat because you weren't supposed to need rules or dice rolls for a DM to arbitrate social situations. Also because much of the game part of the game is tactical combat.

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »

It seems like a choice between D&D 4e and D&D 3.5. If nobody has any objections, I'd like to run D&D 4e. There's a lot of material now for both character building and monsters, and it's all in one place unlike 3e where it's split among books I imagine half the players won't be able to find now. It's also quite easy to re-skin 4e material to fit the game setting. If for some reason 4e doesn't work out by the time everyone hits level 2, we can always switch to another system.

Brentai: Unfortunately, D&D in general is fairly combatty as RPGs go. You can tell this when people are suggesting pacifist-themed combat classes.

Out of Lottel, Stush, Doom, Bongo Bill, Büge, Beat Bandit, Malikial and Zach, who's still up for a 4e game?

Bongo Bill

• Dinosaurcerer
  • Board Moderator
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 10:15:09 PM »

I much prefer 4e, so I will claim my spot.
...but is it art?

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 10:18:19 PM »

Huzzah! I'm in like... uh...

I'm in.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 10:45:19 PM »

I'd love to play 4e~

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 11:13:10 PM »

I'm still up. Also:

Brentai: Unfortunately, D&D in general is fairly combatty as RPGs go. You can tell this when people are suggesting pacifist-themed combat classes.

It's more that it is generally assumed that even the most pacifistic cleric-type in the world wants something to do when everybody else gets into a fight for an hour. It's easily possible in 3.5e especially to have a "High Intrigue" game where vastly more time is spent talking and investigating things than hitting orcs. The amount of combat is largely determined by the DM, but yeah, it is the norm that combat is thick and heavy.

A "Pacifist Combat Class" is just so you can be useful if a fight does break out. It's no less unlikely(and potentially obnoxious) that we'll have an entire adventure without fighting something no matter how much easier that would be, as you'll have an entire civil conversation without the party barbarian going retarded and swinging his axe. As with all things, you need to find a general balance and the DM needs to communicate what he can do/plans to do.

If Brent wanted to literally do nothing but talk, he could. If he wanted to literally do nothing but talk and maybe give us a nice bonus for when we encounter something that can't be reasoned with, he could do that as well. Ultimately, JD would decide how often we meticulously interview people and case the streets for clues... or kick in the door and annihilate some demi-humanoids.

Brentai

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnXYVlPgX_o
  • Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 11:24:09 PM »

I was really planning for something like a diplomat type who dislikes violence in general but still carries around a crossbow and knows how to use it because there's no fucking reasoning with a giant reptile.

It's not that I'm opposed to combat, but when you tell me that a typical game is 90% trying to kill things (and my limited experience with tabletop does seem to indicate that this is the case) then I feel as if I could do that more efficiently playing Diablo or something.

Mostly I just want to spare you guys the frustration of putting up with an utter newb who refuses to pore through the rulebooks for hours and probably won't enjoy himself anyway.  I'll watch with interest though.

Doom

• ~run liek a wind~
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2011, 12:45:35 AM »

Well in that case it's just up to JD as to how much combat he expects.

Also I'd be honored to tolerate your goofy newbieness. It's a privilege of the veteran to train the newbie.

Envy

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2011, 12:55:50 AM »

I'd be pretty all in for some 4e. Hope it's not too late.

Lottel

• You know that's right
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 27, 2011, 03:04:48 AM »

I was really planning for something like a diplomat type who dislikes violence in general but still carries around a crossbow and knows how to use it because there's no fucking reasoning with a giant reptile.

It's not that I'm opposed to combat, but when you tell me that a typical game is 90% trying to kill things (and my limited experience with tabletop does seem to indicate that this is the case) then I feel as if I could do that more efficiently playing Diablo or something.

Characters like that are not uncommon at all, really. I've played with several over the years. They didn't break up the game or aggravate anyone because they wanted to talk instead of fight. In a few cases, it made the game better because there was something to do instead of just the same thing over and over. Hell, when I'm DM I always try to give options instead of just fighting. It's why most of my diplomacy-heavy characters also learn Goblin.

And 90% combat could just be because sometimes fights take fucking forever. It takes a lot longer to kill a dragon than have a conversation.

Stush

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 27, 2011, 03:29:05 AM »

In my experience in JD's games, which are the only ones i've really played, we do a lot of talking and story stuff, and exploring. Lottel is right, it seems like you're always fighting because a fight can take a couple of hours. when exploration and conversations don't take too long.I think it's up to the players too, to try spice up the game with their own flavours, make interesting characters who can interact well with the others, and try to form friendships or rivalries within the party, that's how you make an interesting game, narrative-wise!

Beat Bandit

• be entranced by my sexy rhythm
  • High-Bullshit
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 27, 2011, 04:30:39 AM »

totes magotes still in, and no wall of text because no 4e experience to comment on.

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 27, 2011, 05:14:54 AM »

I'll play

JDigital

• Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2011, 01:27:53 PM »

I can't promise a low-combat game. My games usually have combat.

Bongo Bill, Lottel, Stush, Doom, Beat Bandit and Büge are in. Possibly room for one more. I'll get to work on some setting information you can use to build your characters. Generally speaking, any official content is okay. Don't be afraid to "re-skin" content to fit the setting or a character concept. Grab a copy of the D&D character builder if you don't want to make a character by hand.

There are enough people left over for a second game, if someone would like to DM a game.

R^2

• Not in the game.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2011, 02:06:29 PM »

Yesterday on the way home from work I was thinking about a couple of character concepts for different systems.

Apparently I was so exhausted when I got home I fell asleep on the couch, and with RPG characters on the brain, I dreamt I met one of them and talked to her.

At one point I said "Yeah, given my schedule and where I live now I don't think it's too likely I'll ever actually play a game like the one you're designed for. Sorry but you'll probably never exist."

Which is kind of a dick thing to say to someboy.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2011, 02:10:23 PM »

Wait so was she a lady or a boy?

Büge

• won't give you fleaz
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2011, 03:21:16 PM »

Yesterday on the way home from work I was thinking about a couple of character concepts for different systems.

Apparently I was so exhausted when I got home I fell asleep on the couch, and with RPG characters on the brain, I dreamt I met one of them and talked to her.

At one point I said "Yeah, given my schedule and where I live now I don't think it's too likely I'll ever actually play a game like the one you're designed for. Sorry but you'll probably never exist."

Which is kind of a dick thing to say to someboy.

To be fair, you were really just being a meta-dick, since she doesn't exist and may never.

Brentai

• Admin
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 27, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »

Anyway if the roster needs padding out I'll do it, but short of that I'd rather let someone more enthusiastic about it take the spot.

Classic

• Happens more often than you'd think.
  • Tested
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2011, 11:12:28 PM »

It's not like signing up commits you to any more sessions than you actually want to attend. If you're curious you should try it. You can gamble with two hours of your time.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5